1,489 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form
The Secret History is one of my favourite books, and like much of Donna Tart's fan-base I was disappointed with The Little Friend.

The Goldfinch however is a return to form.

I don't know whether Donna Tart was searching for the formula that made The Secret History such a success, but there are similarities between the two books. The Secret History...
Published 1 month ago by AT Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious beyond belief
The readership seems to divide into those who rave about this book and those who find it tedious beyond belief. I am firmly in the latter group and agree wholeheartedly with everyone mystified by the plaudits. There are whole paragraphs, whole pages, whole episodes of padding that could - and should - have been excised. As reviewer number one thousand four hundred and...
Published 3 days ago by A. W. Macfarlane

‹ Previous | 158 59 60149 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goldfinch, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I am delighted with the book which I am still reading. It was delivered instantly to my Kindle. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goldfinch, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved it and seriously could not put it down. Have recommended it to everyone in our Book Club.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting storeyline!, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
A good, intriguing read with a fast pace to keep you turning pages, slows up at the end which was a bit of an anti-climax but overall good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
Well written but still easy to read. Imaginative story keeps you interested till the end. Recommend to anyone who likes her other books or just likes a good intriguing plot and a book that lasts you a decent amount of time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this a real gold finch, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
enjoyed this third book of Donna tart sometimes it was a bit tangential and lost it's way glad it didn't end in tears I've got a headache from all the drinking etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
Best book I have read in years my friends all agree enjoy

You will be sorry to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars xmas pressie, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
loved this book, heard about it on simon mayos drive time, my husband orderd it for xmas, amazing book. highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up All Night, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I think we can all say we've been in this position at least once in our lives: propped up in bed, book open in front of us or held aloft to catch the glow of the lamp, completely unaware of anything apart from the world being spun out of words in front of us. Then your alarm goes off and it's time to get up.

Maybe it's the structure, the long chapters divided into short subsections, maybe it's the intuitive and surprising way in which the plot unfolds from the initial incident or the realism with which Donna Tartt renders her characters and their world. Whatever it is, this book, which must be more than two-hundred thousand words, flows magnificently. At no point did I feel that it dragged its feet or tried to stand in my way as a reader. This, I think, speaks volumes for Tartt. She is an author capable of integrating her concerns, her interest in high art, in serious literature, (subjects which could quite easily and quite often are wrapped up from the reader in pretentious self-regard), into a compelling and seamless narrative.

This is precisely why so many people I know who have divergent interests, who are not (or were not) interested in what might be considered the subjects of this novel, have enjoyed it immensely. Tartt, for me, shares a number of qualities with Iris Murdoch, the British novelist, her novels are philosophical but not overtly so, her novels are immensely readable but do not sacrifice too much. Both authors, I believe, don't simply write another book but by doing so extend the life of the novel itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars unusual, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
interesting story which I found very dark - not much goes right for the main character and it makes you realize how lucky most of us are in our own lives, really good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Unspeakably Good, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
Potentially the best Donna Tartt novel yet and a book I fell totally in love with. The characters are as beautiful as the typically extensive plot. Wow.

‹ Previous | 158 59 60149 | Next ›

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (Hardcover - 22 Oct 2013)