4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced crime classic

Published 4 months ago by Noel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 28 July 2014
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dark Heart of Florence (Michele Ferrara) (Hardcover)
This is the first of Giuttari's novels I have read. I think this is Book 6 in Michele Ferrara series. Inevitably references to people and incidents related in past books pass you by when you break into a series. Most authors manage this so that each of the books in a series can stand alone while still making reference to a previous story line. This book is particularly reliant on events related in an earlier book and I think the author should have made a little more effort to paint that back story for readers who have not had the advantage of reading the previous books.

Michele Ferrara is the detective who is the key character in the book. He is a bit of a maverick with an uncomfortable relationship with the politicos and the caribinieri. I had to resort to Wikipedia to get some sort of understanding of the relationship between the various Italian law enforcement bodies.

The writing style is fast-paced, short chapters, with plenty of action. That works well in the early part of the book. It drew me into the story. There is a lot happening in the early chapters, murders which may or may not be connected, arson, kidnap and abuse. The style does not work so well however when the author tries to piece together the various plot lines. The writing, or the translation, or both came off the rails for me in the final segment of the book as the story builds to a conclusion. Perhaps in an effort to achieve dramatic effect the sparse staccato writing style is accentuated and what should be a crescendo of drama turns into a great anti- climax of over simplified English. It lost credibility for me and was a very disappointing way to end the story.

There are elements of the storyline which are not to my taste but had I written my review 75% of the way through the book I would have scored it 4 stars. The deterioration in the writing however marred the final and most important part of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced crime classic, 5 May 2014
I have enjoyed reading all the Ferrara novels by Michele Giuttari, The setting in and around Florence, which are familiar from my visits there, contribute to my enjoyment. But his story line and the events he weaves into it are becoming somewhat formulaic and predictable. So just 4 stars and I hope that novel no. 7 will resolve some of Ferrara's underlying dilemmas and get him nearer to uncovering the truth about the Dark Heart of Florence.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 31 Oct 2014
I read this book as a member of a book club and I don't think I would have chosen it otherwise. I found the plot line overly dramatic, it was as if someone from a creative writing class took all the elements of a crime thriller that had been covered in the course and insisted on putting them into one book.
I found some of the characters well described but others were half-drawn sketches. The reason I gave it three stars was Michele Ferrara has some wonderful descriptions of Florence and I found myself back wandering streets I known and loved. His setting is sublime put his plotting needs development.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 12 Aug 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys elaborate rather complicated plots which require a few twists and turns before being solved. A few gruesome descriptions but not over-indulged. Characters are rather lightly drawn but that doesn`t affect a good story. Mind you I also enjoy Montalbano ! Perhaps it`s all to do with Scicilians!

4.0 out of 5 stars Italian crime in Italy, 12 July 2014
A trip to Italy, on a cold wet day in England ,what could be better ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Brilliant utterly gripping.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 27 Jun 2014
This was the sort of book that had pace and interest. I don't think it rates as a great crime novel, but the skill of keeping the interest going was quite remarkable.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great expectation, 26 Jun 2014
Arnsby Beverley (switzerland) - See all my reviews
it was up to the usual standard and more .it kept me guessing until the last page a real turner
Beverley Arnsby

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not his best, 9 Jun 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable as usual but I felt this was a little lacking at times. You really needed to have read the others in the series to get full enjoyment and understanding. It is over a year since I read the previous book and it took me a . Little while to warm to the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love these books, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Dark Heart of Florence (Michele Ferrara) (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book and have read all the others. Not his best but not his worst either I think.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Dark Heart of Florence (Michele Ferrara)
The Dark Heart of Florence (Michele Ferrara) by Michele Giuttari (Hardcover - 18 July 2013)