VINE VOICEon 26 November 2002
This book was definitely a revelation. Fantastically planned and very easy to read, it has been the a definite staple of my reference diet since the start of the academic year. It provides handy tips and ideas on dealing with students and looks at the psychology behind the whole event without once sounding patronising or condescending in any way.
If you are new to education - especially further education which has a dearth of resources - this is invaluable. If you buy no other book for your educational career, you need to buy this!
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2002
This is absolutely the best teaching guide in the whole history of teaching guides. I am a lecturer in FE and I am constantly frustrated by the dearth of practical resources available to lecturers.
I found this quite by accident and I now worship at the altar of GP. I have implemented a number of his ideas and hurrah! they worked! Across the range, across all abilities and the students were like putty in my hands. If you teach FE and are fed up of analysing and reanalysing the psychology behind the psychiatry and you just want a good old fashioned guide to teaching, this is the MUST HAVE book. And best of all? He speaks English.
on 22 April 2003
For anyone involved in improving teaching and learning through staff development in further education this book is essential. The writer convincingly demonstrates his understanding of teachers, teaching situations and students - but he also promotes challenging standards and encourages us to move from our 'comfort zones'. What are practical examples, tips and ideas actually capture best practice. Geoff Petty is an excellent communicator - he can win the reader's trust and push them to try new methods.
I have found that practising teachers respond very well to this text - they can quickly find workable ideas and through experimentation they can become motivated and excited about teaching again.
on 5 December 2005
An excellent book for both trainee and practising teachers. Lots of really useful tips and an excellent insight into the need to reflect and how to reflect - really good buy
on 9 January 2005
I bought this book to compliment course work I was doing for my City and Guilds Certificate in Delivering Learning.The book is well written, clear and very helpful. It also covers the syllabus very well. A good buy.
on 24 February 2007
It is a great book for teacher's who are still training and also really good for those teachers who are experienced. It is actually written in an english which is easily understandable and it a pleasure reading it! I would recommend this book to anyone who is/or will be a teacher!
on 7 November 2001
A step-by-step guide and superb reference book for anyone pursuing a teaching course or for those simply wishing for a little guidance in their chosen teaching career path. A good dip-in-out reference.
Easy to follow and to understand. Essential for those whose cognitive skills are not at Freudian level.
on 3 February 2005
I have just successfully completed my PGCE in Post Compulsory Education - this book was vital to the understanding of some of the concepts that I was expected to write about and use in my teaching practice. It is clearly explained and user friendly - most of the people that I work with who are now on the PGCE or Cert Ed course find it invaluable!!!
on 30 June 2007
I am studying for my Cert Ed. This book was recommended by my tutor. It is really good. It is easy to read & puts the point across simply & clearly.
on 21 November 2004
This book is written in simple to understand terms and that is a must when you have so much to study!! I have recently started my JEB Teaching Course and this book has been a star. I have many to refer to but the layout and terms used along with the easy tests make this book my No 1 choice for any of you needing a good book for your course.