on 9 December 2011
These dramatised adaptations of Raymond Chandler's classic novels featuring the iconic private detective Philip Marlowe are true extensions of the originals from which they were derived. They preserve the atmosphere of the 1940s/1950s era in which they are set. The dialogue crackles, and in Toby Stephens interpretation of Marlowe, the world weariness, deep personal morality, humanity and integrity of Chandler's creation come through in every nuance, not least in the splendid one liners, put downs and laconic wisecracks that only Chandler could write. Stephens' performance is masterful, perhaps at its best in "The Little Sister". I have read most of the novels a number of times - they, and this collection of related dramas will never date. I am only sorry that I cant give them more than a five star rating.
on 5 March 2012
I found these plays absolutely excellent, Toby Stephens as the world weary private eye was a delight. I have never listened to BBC 4 Radio plays before but I am addicted to them, if this is a sample of what they offer.
on 25 December 2011
I first heard these dramas on Radio 4 earlier this year and was really hooked.
The CD set arrived well within the allotted time and was in good condition.
Now I can listen to each of these plays several times - and will.
It is BBC drama at its very best and provides a lot of listening for the money.
Also, the tracks transfer easily to an MP3 player for portability - no real niggles at all.
Great for the airport - just make sure you don't miss the plane!

Finally, I agree completely with the two fivestar reviews which precede mine.
on 19 July 2012
The newly adapted BBC4 Classica Chandler series highlights just how great Chandler is and in this superbly produced audiobook series, Toby Stephens shines as the hard boiled detective.
Outstanding.
on 13 December 2011
These will be for long winter nights and long drives.

Superbly done by the BBC and the cast.

These are part of an audio project recording great detective stories
on 8 April 2013
These version of Philip Marlow were ok but after listerning to the Bill Morrison ones with Ed Bishop as Marlow I was rather dissappointed. This is a personal view and each new production of these stories there are always changes but for me this one did not work for me.
on 19 December 2012
Not much to say other than excellent. I tend to listen to radio dramas in my car rather than music and I am already listening to them for the second time around. The Characters are beautifully portrayed in the classic style of the genre. So sad there were only eight of them.
Great BBC drama.
on 17 March 2014
I love all of Raymond Chandler's mystery crime novels which I have read many years ago. And then there is a full cast of the same novels on BBC radio. I cannot get enough of it. I bought the BBC4 full cast audio radio CDs with Ed Bishop a while ago, and now I bought the same Raymond Chandler's collectible BBC4 full cast Audio CDs starring with Toby Stephens. With Toby Stephens collectibles there is an added wonderful bonus: Playback and Poodle Springs. I totally love them! Thank You for having them.
on 24 July 2014
I agree with the other 5 star reviews. These adaptations are first class.