5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable
This M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin audiobook adaptation is the second of those read by Penelope Keith I have come across, and I'm more than pleased by both experiences. Keith makes a perfect Agatha and the story is read with light touches of humour - although the murder rate in Agatha's Cotswolds seems rather higher than the one of my experience!

The full story is...
Published on 22 Dec 2011 by Seren Ade

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is the Christmas spirit?
This is my second Agatha Rasin and am already annoyed that I'm doing them out of order,however this one comes with a very brief and handy intro at the start

Read by the wondeful Penelope Keith who also does the main character in the couple of radio dramatisations as well so she is certainly familiar with the character and certainly brings it to life...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by J. A. Walls

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 22 Dec 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The full story is read in a well-produced set comprising an impressive 6 CDs. At over 6 hours of listening, it's definitely one for instalments or long car journeys!

4.0 out of 5 stars More light-hearted fun for a long journey!, 4 Dec 2011
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Review most appropriate to the the AudioCD version of the book

An earlier book from the series, this one introduces Toni as a detective and also gives us more of an insight into Agatha Raisin's intriguing background ... as well as what it was that turned her into a Private Detective.

As with the others, it begins with local, light-weight problems, and leads to murder.

As usual, it is light-hearted and gentle, but with good insight into village communities.

Well read by Penelope Keith, this is an enjoyable story and a great way to pass the time - particularly at this time of year, when many of us have long journeys to make!

3.0 out of 5 stars Where is the Christmas spirit?, 14 Dec 2011
J. A. Walls "Say something about yourself!" (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I was looking forward to (and subsequently slightly disappointed by) this novel. The reason I was optimistic is because the synopsis implies it is a very standard murder mystery (Agatha receives a letter from a woman saying someone in her family is trying to kill her) it is very Agatha Christie in its theme

Unfortunately it isn't. The book focuses very much on the friends and colleagues of Agatha including the new apprentice detective Toni and the murder seems very much on the sidelines

In fact, although the book is over 6 discs, the murder is wrapped up by disc 5, the whole of 6 is Agatha tying up loose ends at her home and agency. Perhaps if I was more familiar with the books and characters I would have enjoyed this more, but I was really more after a festive whodunnit.

I enjoyed it, but felt slightly ambivalent when it ended

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 23 Nov 2011
FlowaPowa (Ormskirk, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Agatha Raisin is a modern day 50-something bossy lady detective, full of normal everyday insecurities, working in the Cotswolds from her small detective agency. Alongside the main plot (in this case, a Poirot-style murder) we are treated to wonderful glimpses of Agatha juggling the mundane minutia of Agatha's working life - missing pets, divorce cases, staffing issues etc.

I like the fact that background references are reasonably upto date - for example a starting wage of 6 per hour, or reference to the impending recession that we are now in the throes of.

Light humour (not laugh out loud) is woven throughout the tale, which is beautifully read by Penelope Keith. Characterisation is clear and it is always easy to follow the plot and to tell who is speaking. I think it helps that Penelope also plays Agatha Raisin in the BBC play productions, so she is familiar with the characters.

There are 6 cds in the box, each cd is printed with the Christmas scene on the box and the box is of good quality. It woud make a good Christmas gift for a mother or aunt.

This audio book certainly managed to keep my interest - I began listening to this yesterday morning, and couldn't stop til it was finished six and a half hours later!

I heartily recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good listen in the car, 11 Jan 2012
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This unabridged book was pleasant enough listening for some long journeys, but not earth-shattering. Penelope Keith was wonderful as Agatha but rather grating when she impersonated some of her more squarky characters.

Agatha becomes embroiled in a murder mystery surrounding Mrs Tamworthy and her offspring and their spouses. Mrs Tamworthy has managed to upset, not only her whole family but also the whole village, with her plans to sell off the manor house and build a technical college.
Strangely enough she suspects that someone may be trying to murder her and there are plenty of suspects for the murderer.

I listened to this around Christmas time for a bit of Christmas spirit, but only the final CD was at all festive - possibly a good thing if you're thinking of listening to it in June!

I liked the character of Toni, Agatha's new assistant, and I had a few chuckles during the telling, but overall it was fairly mediocre - 3 1/2 stars, if I could.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite in the series, 8 Jan 2012
maximus (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've liked all the other agatha raisin audiobooks, but this one seems much more a caricature than a humorous detective story which the other ones are. I also was disappointed with the way the author describes the Lancashire region as constantly grey and dreary and the same for describing any of any Northern characters. It seemed a bit prejudiced and much more than just tongue in cheek, and poorly represents England. If you haven't read any of the Raisin series, then don't start here. Try one of the earlier or later ones. There is a sequence to them, but not in the mysteries themselves (they're self contained) , just in the back story of Agatha, her love exploits and her friends and staff. I've listened to them out of sequence and have enjoyed them, but other people might prefer to go right to the beginning.

My favourite ones in the series so far have been "deadly dance", "busy body" and, best of all for me, "as the pig turns" for it's sizzling start .

5.0 out of 5 stars I adore Agatha! (and Penelope Keith), 15 Dec 2011
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I just love the Agatha Raisin books and this is the second of the talking books I own. It is simply great, as always. The story has you in stitches plus keeps you guessing, albeit in a very light-hearted way. These are certainly not highbrow literature but I adore them anyway. Penelope Keith is the perfect person. Excellent book and excellent production. Would make a great wee Christmas gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Raisin. Kissing Christmas Goodbye, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Agatha Raisin Kissing Christmas Goodbye (Audio CD)
As stated in all my Agatha Raisin reviews. I love these stories. Can't get enough of them. Will be ordering more soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder, wit and cynicism...., 28 May 2013
Wynne Kelly "Kellydoll" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No-one chooses the Agatha Raisin books for their literary values but they are always entertaining and enjoyable.

If you are already a fan of Agatha then Kissing Christmas Goodbye is more of the same - a mixture of murder, wit and cynicism. An unpleasant old lady is murdered and Agatha suspects a member of her family is guilty. But Christmas is coming and she has no intention of her perfectionist planning to be disrupted!

Nicely read (as usual) by Penelope Keith.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Agatha Raisin Kissing Christmas Goodbye (Audio CD)
We are fans of the Agatha Raisin CDs we caravan a fair bit and the stories while away many a evening/

ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)

Agatha Raisin Kissing Christmas Goodbye
Agatha Raisin Kissing Christmas Goodbye by M. C. Beaton (Audio CD - 3 Nov 2011)
Used & New from: 17.54