VINE VOICEon 17 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's back to the USA once again for the Eleventh Doctor, Amy and Rory - and for author Oli Smith, who has taken us to that country in every "Doctor Who" novel and audio book he has penned to date. Given the setting, Stuart Milligan, who played President Nixon in "The Impossible Astronaut / Day of the Moon", is an appropriate choice of reader.

Unfortunately, the familiarity doesn't end there. The 1960s time period is also similar to that opening two-parter of Doctor Who Series 6 - Part 1 [DVD], as is the alien menace our heroes encounter. Extra-terrestrial businessmen with distorted faces and elongated bodies, hiding away in the shadows... they do sound rather like the Silence, don't they? However, unlike a previous reviewer, I don't think these aliens *are* the Silence: people don't forget them as soon as they turn away, and these creatures are clearly visitors to our planet rather than long-term residents. In common with another Steven Moffat episode, "Let's Kill Hitler", the Doctor is poisoned and has only a short time left to live.

Following the double-disc release Doctor Who: Eye of the Jungle (Dr Who), we are back to a single CD here. All too often these single-disc stories are blighted by a lack of scope and scale, but here Oli Smith overcomes the problem by starting the adventure as though we are halfway through a serial. We first meet the Doctor, not in the TARDIS control room, but through the eyes of a troubled taxi driver, which gives the Time Lord a suitable air of mystery. We first encounter Amy and Rory in the midst of a mission to sabotage New York City's water supply.

There are occasional narrative lapses, such as the author's use of the word "pavement" rather than "sidewalk" when writing from an American point of view, but despite its flaws, "Blackout" is the most engaging Eleventh Doctor audio I have yet heard.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm building up quite a collection of these Doctor Who audio books, and looked forward to receiving another, and whilst I was initially disappointed that this story isn't read by one of the three main actors, it very quickly didn't matter, as this is, without a doubt, the best of the audio stories featuring the Eleventh Doctor so far. It grabs you from the beginning and pulls you in with an interesting story, atmospheric music and background effects, and Stuart Milligan's adaptability in voicing the three main characters and a taxi driver who somehow holds the key to the mystery. In fact, his turn as Clint the taxi driver is so good, I'd love to hear him return voiced by Stuart Milligan in a sequel.

The story is, like many audio stories featuring the Doctor (which potentially have all of space and time to choose from), yet again set on Earth within a relatively recent period. The potential for generic throwaway stories is an ever-present risk whenever you buy one, but I really felt this time that this was a true Doctor story, which made good use of Amy and Rory, and came to a satisfying conclusion, having been resolved in the way that only the Doctor can manage. Many of the other stories haven't accomplished that.
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's November 9th, 1965. New York City is plunged into darkness, a taxi driver has bad dreams, and an invisible spacecraft hovers ominously above the skyline. As an extra-terrestrial disease sweeps the populace, Amy and Rory must sabotage the city's water supply to slow the spread of infection, and a dying Doctor holds another man's life in his hands. With death toll rising, and his companions stalked through the streets by alien businessmen, the Doctor is forced to make a terrible decision. How far must he go to save his friends?

This is one of the better audio books currently on offer, as the story is entertaining and fast paced. Stuart Millligan, who played President Nixon in the TV episodes "Impossible Astronaut" and "Day of the Moon" does a good job of bringing the story and the characters to life, and there is some excellent music and sound effects, to keep you gripped to your headphones. An excellent job, and a must for fans of the latest Doctor.
VINE VOICEon 26 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My daughter is a big Dr Who fan and enjoys the BBC DVD box sets often watching the same episodes over and over again; she is also a committed reader and I thought this Audio CD would be a good introduction to the genre.

She enjoyed the CD and is keen to try some others which in my book is a thumbs up.

I have passively heard the CD on her music system whilst she has been occupying herself in her room and it is surprising how quickly you can get drawn into the story.

There is not much to evaluate here but it is a good product and was well received by my daughter, it has even spurned me on to try an Audio book so five stars from me.
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Doctor has travelled back to 1965 with Amy and Rory, they've taken a train from Philadelphia to New York City and walked into a world of alien abductions and clinical trials run on a city wide scale. There is something in the water, a hidden ship is 100ft above the city and the Doctor, Rory and Amy are all dying from a disease that makes you ultimately explode with heat.

An excellent straightforward Doctor Who adventure, fighting aliens to save mankind, but with a twist of reflection on our right to experiment on animals.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sometime I like my audio books long and sometimes I like them short.

this fits within the latter but despite its short length of just a few hours it is a thoroughly enjoyable little tale that all Doctor Who enthusiasts will enjoy children or adults alike.

the American accent of the narrator is a little odd on what is a British show but you get used to it and it fits the setting.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I enjoyed this audio cd, the story was interesting and well read by Stuart Milligan. I'm not sure he entirely captured the essence of the Doctor, Amy and Rory but once you get used to his characterisation of them you do enjoy the story. Not the most suspenseful Doctor Who story but I liked the plot line and it is a nice addition to my Doctor Who collection.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Stuart Milligan reads this new story in a most convincing way. He is able to bring to life the Matt Smith "Doctor" very well indeed - I was also impressed with his interpretaion of Amy Pond, right on target. The story is not the best to add to the Dr Who collection but for a 90 minute journey up the motorway it is well satisfying.
VINE VOICEon 26 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I enjoyed this audio cd very much.I am a Dr who fan but never tried audio stories before but i enjoyed this very much.The telling of the story is done ok but the story was good and i will try more of these in the future.If you are a fan of Dr who i would say try this.