Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 January 2011
This 2xCD set covers each of the TV episodes from Matt Smith's first season as Doctor Who; each episode is presented in shortened form using audio clips from the series with some linking narration.

My personal reaction to this was one of indifference; if I wanted to relive the series again I'd watch it instead (although the format does allow you better to savour Matt Smith's beautiful deadpan delivery of Stephen Moffat's lines).

However, when I played it to our kids, all of whom are avid Doctor Who fans who already knew each episode off by heart, they fell silent, concentrated on listening, and afterwards expressed how much they enjoyed it.

So perhaps the CD is best appreciated by a younger audience, and is in fact a good way to get children to "listen" to a story that's not too long, rather than sit in front of the TV.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2011
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found it very misleading that the cd was classed as an audiobook as it isn't really, it's just a synopsis of the series. There are no new content although Alex Price does a good job of narration. I half expected there to be additional online content as well to make up for it's loss in audio content however none was to be found - really a wasted opportunity as you could of had at least links to official sites, pictures, a screensaver, wallpaper or something special to make it work your money. At it's RRP it's not worth it. All i can hear is the 'cha-ching' of a cash register.
I saw most of the series but missed a few in the middle You get lots of original dialogue and plot explanation, and if you've already seen the series then you can fill in the blanks. The tension and suspense you get from viewing the series is lost though, particularly the narration of episodes 4 & 5 with the Weeping Angels. When I saw those episodes originally, they had me on the edge of my seat in places, and I found that listening to the cd, when I could remember what happened, the cd was a bit disappointing. For the episodes I didn't see then the narration was better, in fact they made me want to see the episodes! I didn't think I was that bothered about this series before, but after listening to the cds, I do want to watch some of the episodes again (yet another box set to add to my wish list!). I think they act as a good companion, but just that, they had the effect of making me want to buy the box-set, not the cd!
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2011
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I requested a free copy of this CD to review thinking it was an audio book or a documentary.
I was seriously unimpressed to open the box and find it's just audio high lights of the last series strung together with some linking narration! How this is a 'Companion' to the show and not just 'the Edited High lights' is anybodies guess.

So there I was, already to write my Reardonesq rant and give this sucker 1 star - until I listened to it.
The linking narration actually sets the tone very well (although it's far from perfect - we'll get to that) and the clips from the show reminded me just how much I had enjoyed Matt Smith & Karen Gillan scoring off each other. The end result falls flat in all the same places as the series did (Daleks and Venetian vampires I'm looking at you!) but soars along with all the high points too (The Pandorica Opens was just as good as the first time I saw it). So if you like the idea of this disc set then go ahead and buy it, it's a quality reproduction of what I think was some pretty darn good TV sci fi.

BUT, and it's a big but, I have to wonder who this CD is for?
If you missed the TV series and want an idea of what happens you are better off with wikipedia as this production flys along at such a pace and with so little actual audio description that you won't have much clue what's going on most of the time.
If you saw and liked it that much, chances are you want it on DVD or you have it by now.
I guess if you want to recap the events of the last series without the bother of having to sit through it then this CD really is ESSENTIAL. But who are you? And how did you come by these strange requirements?
And wouldn't you be better off with some Big Finish original Doctor Who radio dramas instead?

What could have made this package stand out was if they had included edited high lights from the plots of the internet video games that were released along side the series. I didn't have the time to play them, but the Beeb hyped them up as being 4 extras episodes that were integral to the over arching story of the whole series. That would have been a welcome time saving addition to me, but of course they are no where to be seen (or in this case, heard).

All in all, a very odd concept that seems like a total cash in (and is). But when it's good it's so good that you won't mind.
Hmmm, not likely to set sales charts on fire then.
on 22 February 2011
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm very confused as to who this product is aimed at.
Established fans will find nothing new here, and newcomers will either be lost in a sea of über-fan jokes or will simply find that this album is just one big spoiler for the eleventh series.

However, even though the target audience is a mystery to me, the actual quality of the product is by no means in doubt. The sound quality is above reproach and it does represent pretty good value for money.
Although it's essentially a collection of highlights from the eleventh series, it would be a worthy addition to a car stereo for a long journey, for example. Or something to put on at home when there's nothing on telly, or you could even burn the tracks onto an mp3 player for the kids, or as a bedtime story.

When all is said and done however, there is nothing new here. It seems like a not-so-cunning ploy to wring yet more money from the people who love the Dr. Who series' with a passion.
It's up to you, but my personal opinion is that only a Dr. Who fan should consider buying this item. And even then expectations should be set to 'low'.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a bit confused when I ordered this exactly what I should expect to receive. Clearly it was an audio CD but were the contents?

As it turns out, this is a 2 CD set that presents a whistle-stop tour of the most recent Doctor Who series, the first to feature Matt Smith as The Doctor.

When I say whistle-stop, some episodes are covered in a fair bit of detail, while others are quickly rushed through. Anyway, this "tour" takes the form of some narration interspersed with audio clips from the episodes in question. It's a useful refresher of the storylines of the last series, but do you really need that?

Personally I think you'd be far better served putting the money towards the DVD (or Blu-ray) boxset so you can actually watch the episodes again, rather than listening to a few sound bites.

Either that or one of the many excellent Doctor Who audio adventures.
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2011
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Whoever came up with the idea for this utterly pointless disc needs a lesson in markatable goods, it's worse than useless.

All it consists of is a brief synopsis of each episode with snatches of dialogue from the actual episodes themselves, what's the point in that? You may as well just watch the episodes themselves as it twlls you absolutely nothing new whatsoever.

It's a total bore and prove that the BBC will try to sell anything if it has the Doctor Who logo on it.

Do yourself a favour and avoid this pathetic piece of merchandise, even for die hard fans such as myself it has very limited value or collectability.

Massively disappointing and not worth the discs it's pressed on to!
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like many other reviewers I'm somewhat at a loss to decide what exactly the point of this "Essential Companion" CD set is.

A series of Doctor Who condensed into two cd's with every episode "summed up" by a mixture of narration and various clips from the shows themselves it's difficult to know what to make of this.

It's not uninteresting to those who are fans but you'd be much better off with the actual series on DVD rather than this spurious curiosity which seems to exist purely to make money. Which, admittedly, would be the point of any release but this is one of the shoddiest attempts to offer value you'll find on this site.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Tedious. Not the script. The script is superb, some of the best writing Doctor Who has ever seen in fact. Lyrical, fascinating, layered. No what's tedious is that this is essentially an audio plough through the first Smith/Moffat season without much in the way of addition information. Which is fine if all you want is clips of things, but if you have the boxset, and most fans will, there's not much extra to enjoy here. What might have made this worthwhile is if some of the many deleted scenes had been included or some new specially recorded audio adventure. But no. It's just the same stuff you've heard before without the pictures.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My eight year old grandson reviewed this and as a die hard Dr Who fan gave it a thumbs up. He described it as being not just an episode guide but the 'untold stories'; bits and pieces that didn't make it on to screen. It certainly engaged him and captured his attention on a rainy half-term afternoon. One for the fans - but there are many of you out there!
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2011
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am at a loss to understand who this set is aimed at. It essentially consists of a precis of each episode containing snatches of dialogue interspersed with "Doctor Who Confidential" type narration. Anyone vaguely interested in this will have already seen the episodes so a narrator telling us what is happening in each story is far from being essential as the title suggests.

If it is aimed at people who haven't seen the series and may wish to, it gives far too much of the storyline away and would spoil first time viewing.

The whole package and its titling smacks of a marketing ploy to get people who have seen the series and love Doctor Who to buy a product thinking they are going to get something new with perhaps additional insight into the making of the series. Unfortunately, there is nothing new and I found the whole listening experience quite boring.

A wasted opportunity.