5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Gum does it again
Published on 2 Aug 2007 by Joan Keating

3.0 out of 5 stars For lovers of the surreal!
I haven't read any of the Mr Gum series but I have heard Andy Stanton on BBC Radio London and so thought I'd give this a go. I was also a little hesitant to listen to this CD and had reservations about Kate Winslet's narration but I was pleasantly surprised.

This is the third book from the Mr Gum series. Mrs Lovely, Friday's wife is attacked by `creatures...
Published 22 months ago by Sarah Durston

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Gum does it again, 2 Aug 2007
Joan Keating (London) - See all my reviews
Well the long wait is over. Now we only have to wait until February for the next Gummy instalment. My kids were overjoyed to get their hands on this. To save the inevitable fighting over who would get to read it first I hid Mr Gum and the Goblins until we could read it as a family. Well all three of mine (boys aged 9 and 7 and a girl aged 6) just loved this to bits - as much as the earlier two books. I'd suggest a visit to the Mr Gum website to download the Lamonic Bibber songbook so that the true delights of the tunnel song and the radish ode can be yours. Oh and the bonus story about Granny's cardigan is an especial treat, even more so for those of us in our 40s who remember punk. No Saul Bellow jokes in this one though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book so far!, 3 Sep 2007
J. Collins "Jason" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Blinkin', blimmin, blimey! What a fanbtastic read, this 'un is better than the previous two, it's really funty. I read it to a crowd of children and stoned people in a Teepee in nightly installments and they kept coming back for more. I adored this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy Stanton's Books Are Funty, 18 Sep 2007
Shabba me whiskers I am not a great book lover im a 9 year old boy who gets easily bored but Andy Stanton knows how to electrify my brain with excitement he must be the best children's book writer EVER his words are hillariously funty, gives you great ideas for tricks and fun. And I love the way he writes as thoe he's talking so it's easy to follow. And This book is just as good as the other two stories, I can't wait unitl he brings out his next book. This is a must for all children with a sense of humour. The End . P.s My mum even likes reading his stories we have funty times together reading him. Review by Hayden Tofield Wallington

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain silly - and it grew on me!, 17 Aug 2011
leftfooter "leftfooter" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mr Gum and the Goblins (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
Here is the (3 star) review I wrote a year ago after first listening:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on other reviews I had high hopes for this CD, but was left distinctly underwhelmed.

I guess it depends on your sense of humour. I am not averse to silliness, but I like there to be something more to it than just daft voices and nonsensical wordplay. The silliness of the Pythons or Douglas Adams is usually enhanced by sly cultural references or satirical observations. This CD is just plain silly.

My girls are 6 and 13. I think the market for this CD falls somewhere in between, and possibly more aimed at boys or fans of the likes of Dick and Dom.

I cannot say there were no chuckles, but no-where near as many as I think the author was aiming for.

Now I need to eat a huge portion of humble pie. After the above review, the CD stayed in the car, and got listened to a few more times. With repetition, it grew on me enormously. I have concluded that it shares these characteristics with programmes like The Fast Show and The Young Ones. With repetition you get to know what's coming, and somehow the stupidity, the non sequiturs, the puns and the silly voices all WORK. They become hilarious.

I am now raising this to a 5-star review, because I and my daughters absolutely LOVE this CD. We even quote bits in conversation, just like Monty Python in my youth...

One note of caution: they seem to be re-releasing these stories in a new version narrated by Kate Winslet. I have heard a couple and I do not think they are anywhere near as good as Andy Stanton's own version. This review applies to his version alone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny fun ..., 20 Jan 2013
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another hit from Stanton read by Kate Winslet.
I have listened to two previous Audio CDs of Stanton's Mr Gum read by Winslet and found them to be fun and entertaining - popular with kids too! Mr Gum and the Goblins does not disappoint - it is as mad, funny and strange as the others.
Well done Mr Stanton - I'm hoping you and Mr Gum can keep us all entertained for many years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for family car journeys, 17 Jan 2013
Mr Gum and the Goblins

This series of books are great for children aged between 7 and 12, especially boys.

The book is read very well by Kate Winslet for this audio disc. Adult fans of silly radio shows and Monty Python will love this audio book so it is ideal for playing in the car for the whole family.

Just be prepared for your boys talking in silly voices and repeating their favourite bits.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for the Book 3 for the Reading, 16 Jan 2013
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
NOTE THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE AUDIO BOOK READ BY KATE WINSLET.

This is the third in Andy Stanton's series with 3 so far released in an audio version.

You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum
Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire (BBC Childrens Audio)

But a quick look on Amazon and you will see there are a whole slew of Mr. Gum books.
The fact that there are a series of books generally indicates that the books are a success with their readership and indeed this is the case Andy Stanton writes great children's books with good characters.

If you read few of the reviews you will see not only do the parents sing the praises of the books but the children actually get to write reviews and that is a wonderful testament to the power of the books and characters!

Is this one any good I would say a resounding YES

but read on.

To the reading.

Once again Kate Winslet reads this third fine book by Andy Stanton and she has done an adequate job.
Now that surprised me.
The word adequate for in the previous two she did really well but there is just something about her reading here that is not up to the standard of the previous two.

Ever the professional actress, we know that she has a great voice but moreover she really manages to get the characterizations to convey the characters from her previous readings which was no mean feat with such a weird and strange plotted books.

But in this one she does not seem to be on such top form which is a disappointment for this listener.

The phrase `strangely plotted books' sounds bad- what I mean to say is this story along with all the others in the series are those wonderful far fetched children's books with plots you can only get away with the open minds of children, the rather more enlightened adults or even the really weird adults!
If I say that Mr. Gum hates everything, a fairy that lives in a bathtub you really get an inkling or should that be warning? of what this really entertaining story gets up to.

A word of warning (the second!).
There are two audio versions.
One read by Winslet and the other by the author Andy Stanton.
If you intend to get the other two in the series you may need bear this in mind if you want continuity. I must admit I have not heard any of the author's versions myself only the ones by the brilliant Winslet. Again I can recommend her reading. I do believe the professional actor more often than not read the stories better than the author. I'm not suggesting they should not but I really do believe professionals do it better. Her I thinking of a recent reading I heard by Jacqueline Wilson's Four Children and It and any think read by the professi0nal actor Kenneth Williams or Stephen Fry to illustrate my point

But in this case I would be keen to seek out Andy Stanton's version.

This is an entertaining book and presented really well

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 15 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was very well produced and read extremely well by Kate Winslet.

Her performance was so good I might even forgive her for some of those Oscar speeches.

The story itself is quite amusing and has plenty of replay value.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still funny, but a bit pantomime-y, 13 Dec 2012
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I raved about the Kate Winslet audiobooks for the previous two in the series - You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!: Mr Gum, Book 1 (Unabridged) and Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire. This one however was a slight disappointment- it's still very funny, but not nearly as funny.

Partly that's down to the text. There just aren't enough good jokes in it. The story relies too heavily on funny characters from the previous stories, and their catchphrases, and doesn't introduce enough new material, sadly. It's a bit of a re-hash.

To a lesser extent, Kate Winslet's performance has started going a bit over-the-top and pantomimey. Her performance of the first book was utterly brilliant, I was amazed at how unselfconscious and versatile and packed with energy it was, but this time round Winslet's lacking a little bit of control and it all gets a bit too shouty rather than dynamic.

That said, this is still far and away the best and funniest set of kids stories I've either read or listened to for some time, and still definitely worthy of four stars, so I'm probably being a bit too critical. This is definitely worth a listen, but whatever you do, make sure you listen to the books in order- don't start with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whacky or what?!, 28 Nov 2012
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All the stories in this series are brilliant for...I don't know...perhaps 6-10-year-olds. They're clever, funny and full of wonderful characters and silliness. The third is probably our favourite but they're hard to separate.

I'd rather my children read books than listened to CDs but CDs are great in the car, especially when parents can enjoy them too, as, for example, with Just William.

Why only four stars then? We (well, I in particular) didn't much care for Kate Winslet's delivery. She `acts' the stories well but speaks too quickly at times and the voices aren't always convincing. But that's just me - others here seemed to enjoy Kate's reading. I gather Andy Stanton's own version may be preferable but I'll probably invest in the books instead.

Mr Gum and the Goblins (BBC Audio)
Mr Gum and the Goblins (BBC Audio) by Andy Stanton (Audio CD - 5 May 2011)
Used & New from: £10.99