5.0 out of 5 stars What A Find- Historic and Funny., 18 Jan 2014
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Remembering... Bob Monkhouse (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
Bob Monkhouse has always been a Marmite comedian.
In that some people don't like him and never did but for others he was simply magnificent a true comedy genius.

I must admit I do fall into the 'Fan' category but this review is my honest opinion.

First a little history.
Bob Monkhouse has performed at the BBC radio since 1953.
1953 that was before I was born and Britain still had rationing for Meat.
World war Two was still a recent memory and Britain was a whole lot different to today.
Bob Monkhouse loved radio and that was his favourite medium make no bones about it he says as much on this C 2 CD set.
Now 1953 and the fact that Bob appeared in tens of shows often writing and performing in 4 a week with his writing partner at one time.
So this 2 CD set could easily be a ten hour set.
I for one would welcome that but I have to be realistic.
Now some reviewers claim that it isn't his best material.
Well how can they judge with Bob's career being well over 50 years AND what's more his output for the BBC was so vast.

I personally really enjoyed listening to the material simply because I had never heard it before.
So if it were say the more familiar shows that have been included on recent TV documentaries then it would still be funny but not new.

SO for me this set really has added value- it is really excellent.
The title 'Remembering Bob Monkhouse' it is just that Bob narrates his history of working in radio shows T THE BBC.

Bob has always been a really excellent joke writer and there really are some crackers which he was the originator of.
The greatness of his jokes is that they were stolen so much by American writers for some of the top USA comedians of the day.

Bob covers lots of shows I had no idea that existed and his recounting of them explains the style and content really well.
Humour dated? Well yes but this is history of comedy.
The jokes about once going to a petrol station and getting a free glass with a pounds worth pf petrol countered with the joke that now a pounds worth of petrol would fill one of those glasses is funny and historical.

Bob does get to sing a lot on this set. This may dismay some but often the songs have a really humorous twist and most comedians of the day ended with a song in their acts otherwise they would be coming off stage to silence.
Don't believe me? Just watch Peter Kay's the your that doesn't tour- he finishes with him playing a spade and singing- if it works use it.

Oh I should add that this recording was previously released as "Bob Monkhouse at the Beeb" on cassette.
So if you already have that title this is a repeat.

The sheer breath of material is staggering and this is a really entertaining set which finishes all too early.
It left me wanting more.

At this price this really is a bargain. I really would encourage you to buy and enjoy this 2 CD set.
BUT I warn you you will be just like me and be left wanting to hear more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest comics and comic writers that this country ever produced ..., 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Remembering... Bob Monkhouse (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
One of the finest comics and comic writers that this country ever produced
A true comedy legend
His source books on After Dinner Speaking are the definitive guides and should be on the National Curriculum!
Had the privilege to meet the great man just once (when I worked in the professional theatre) and he was wonderful! A really nice guy and so down to earth and un-starry!
This collection really gives a cross section of his varied and long career,I hope other fans and lovers of comedy will love it as much as I do!
Was very pleased that some wonderful early gems from the golden days of Radio have been included from the archives as well as more modern material
Enjoy!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not the best of., 15 Sep 2012
Mr. Colin J. Todd (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembering... Bob Monkhouse (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
Not the best of Bob, I'm sure the BBC could easily find much better bits of Bob but these are interesting rare items for fans that you might not have heard. Also the track listing inside doesn't match up with that displyed on the CD track list. It's all there on discs just differently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick wit Monkhouse, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Remembering... Bob Monkhouse (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
I had this CD sent on to a friend because she chose it ,after I enjoyed a TV programme about him .
She also enjoyed listening to his comical chats on the CD . We all need a good belly laugh at times !
Another reviewer found that the order of play did not match the list . My friend wasn`t bothered by that .

Remembering... Bob Monkhouse (BBC Audio)
Remembering... Bob Monkhouse (BBC Audio) by Bob Monkhouse (Audio CD - 5 Aug 2010)