5.0 out of 5 stars Animal Magic Indeed
For any child growing up in the 1960's and 70's
Johnny Morris was unavoidable (not that you'd
have wanted to avoid him anyway!) His instantly
recognisable and reassuringly avuncular voice
became familiar via radio and television to
countless thousands of households across the
country who welcomed him into their homes with
a big smile and...
Published on 22 Mar 2010 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Great nostalagia but...
I think this CD will appeal to the generation who knew and loved Johnny Morris.
For a modern generation who look for a bit more 'bang and whiz' from their story lines, I'm not sure it will appeal.
I purchased it for the car, so that my 4 year old daughter is entertained on longer journeys. She listened, but I'm not sure she got it. To get the most from the story...
Published on 17 April 2010 by Dodster

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars As cosy as your bedtime malted milky drink - and as enjoyable., 30 Mar 2010
R. A. Caton "Arcaton" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Johnny Morris Bedtime Stories (Vintage Beeb) (Audio CD)
I MISS Johnny Morris. He had a warm presence, and must have drawn many children into a love and appreciation of zoo animals in his time.
On this CD he is telling bedtime stories (some of which had been available on the telephone "Dial-a-lullaby" service, also!). I listened to it last night and he is as cosy as ever. I dozed off towards the middle of what was originally side 2 of the LP. CDs are a lot easier to handle than LPs when it comes to prepacked lullabies.
This disc is from a series of CD reissues of BBC LPs from the 1970s - some of these (like "Unique Hancock") are anthologies from shows that have since been made available in totality, indeed in entire series runs which makes their reissue value somewhat moot, but I'd say this particular disc will prove a useful soother - although it would be interesting to see what the generation who never got to see Johnny Morris on "Animal Magic" make of it. I'm biased. I liked Johnny Morris and still do, so I like this CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good For Dad, not good for Toddler, 20 April 2010
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The brilliant voices of Johnny Morris really transported me back to the 70s when I was a wee nipper myself watching Animal Magic - the only "animal" show I've ever watched. I thought my four-year-old son would love this as he's really keen on story CDs, CBeebies on R7, etc, but he seemed pretty disinterested. Too much talking and not enough songs was his opinion.

Still, this 44 year old Dad thought it was great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Fun, 1 April 2010
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Told in Morris' inimitable style, this vintage BBC re-release of 14 bedtime stories (first released in 1972) is full of the adventures of the animals at the zoo, including:

Lulu the Baby Seal who gets lost looking at ships in the Bristol Channel; Side Splitter the Kookaburra and his infectious laugh; Grumblehump the rather posh Camel; Bubbles the Hippo who sings in the bath; Hooter the helpful Elephant; the Budgeriegars' Information Service; Shipmate Sam drilling his Penguins; a thieving Sneery Seagull; Trit Trot a Pony who doesn't like his saddle and Snapper the staring Crocodile.

Lasting around three minutes each and filled with delightfully silly and surprising voices, these stories are charming, funny and perfect for young animal lovers going to bed. Timeless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glorious nostalgia, 2 April 2010
Dr. Peter Davies (Halifax, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Johnny Morris is one of those classic children's entertainers (alongside Rolf Harris) who don't seem to date. Yes the BBC don't do programmes this way now, but these old programmes remain interesting today.

With Morris the magic is in his voice as he switches between his gentle Bristol burr and his glorious impressions of animals. The skill with which he modulates his tones is still remarkable, and as enjoyable now as when I was watching Animal Magic many years ago.

I enjoyed this disc as nostalgia. My two year old daughter, who creates the excuse for me to order discs like this on Vine, is coming to enjoy "man."

This is a good disc, and if you remember Johnny Morris fondly you will enjoy it. I think many modern children will enjoy it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars It seems the target audience is the same people as it was in the 60s, 10 Jun 2010
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm too young to have known Johnny Morris as a child; and my daughter is, perhaps, a little too young at two and a half, to appreciate these now.

So I don't share the nostalgia of older reviewers who find this title takes them back to their childhood. I enjoyed the tales and, of course, the life that Morris breathes into them. But my daughter shows no interest in them (yet?). I had the same problem trying to get her to like some of the 70s/80s tv shows that I liked as a kid; so perhaps it's a generational thing. Modern childrens media is so 'busy' that the quieter and more sedate approach of years gone by must seem a bit sleepy.

Of course, as of all the BBC recordings I've encountered, it's well produced and nicely presented. But as other reviewers have indicated, it could have done with a bit more to look at such as a pull out illustrated booklet or similar (as other titles I've got for my daughter have included).

Not bad; but viewed without the rose tinted glasses of the Johnny Morris generation, not all that fantastic either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories......, 22 April 2010
Fiona Massey "jellyfi1" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember listening to Johnny Morris' Bedtime Stories as a child, and was totally enthralled with all the weird and wonderful creatures on their weird and wonderful adventures.

Listening to this CD took me back to the evenings listening to the radio, tucked up in bed, having Johnny Morris read me my very own bedtime story (or so it seemed when I was a child)

My niece and nephew loved this CD that much that they have permanently borrowed it.

This CD will appeal to all ages, both those that remember the original broadcasts, through to the little ones of today who love animals.

A lovely and heartwarming collection of excellent tales that will be loved by generations to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars If I Could Talk to the Animals, 24 Mar 2010
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the 1960s, I remember thinking Hammy the Hamster, Roderick the Rat and all the other animals in Tales of the Riverbank really could speak. I thought the same about Animal Magic, too, and was I upset when I realised it wasn't true. Johnny Morris, someone whose mimicry made everything believable, delivered all those voices, and more, to great effect. And such was his storytelling that he was employed by the Post Office to read stories over the telephone to anyone who called the 'Dial-a-Bedtime Story' service - I think the number was 150. In 1972, fourteen of those stories were released on an LP, which now gets a CD reissue.

This 45-minute release could actually be classed as something of a `concept'. Morris acts as the zookeeper going round all the different animals in turn saying goodnight to them, and with all those stories beginning, "When I went to say goodnight to...", you can imagine him walking round the cages and putting them all to bed, so to speak, before closing the zoo for the night. The narrative in the stories relates to what sort of day the specific animals had and each has a name that connects to the animal in question; Tubthump the Gorilla, Snapper the Crocodile, Hooter the Elephant, and Chatterbox the Budgerigar are just a few. However, with the 21st Century's seemingly reliance on instant gratification, this might have been better had it been issued with a picture book that the listener can follow.

Animal Magic, etc. was a visual program and whilst the format of listening to bedtime stories down the phone may have worked 40 years ago, the BBC might have missed a trick here by not packaging this CD with some sort of pictorial material. This is a product to be listened to over time, as the market at which this is aimed may not have the attention span for much more than one story at a time. But at the price it's currently being sold, no one can complain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle bedtime tales to enjoy together, 15 April 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know parents still read bedtime stories to their children, and in these days of Harry Potter and vampire stories there's maybe less of a place for old-fashioned tales, but I urge anyone with little ones, or who just wants a wander down memory lane to their own childhood to give this charming cd a listen. Johnny Morris was a mainstay on television for me growing up in the 70s, in Animal Magic, the way he'd give the various creatures their own voice. That inimical style is what you find here too, on a collection of zoo-based stories that build one on the other with repetition and soon to be familiar characters, when Johnny goes to say goodnight to each of them in turn and recounts what sort of a day they've had.

It definitely grows on you, the first couple of stories seemed a bit bland (warthogs have very dull adventures) but soon the gentle format and the humour had me won over until I was keen to hear more about the avian information service and what happened to the baby polar bear, and gleefully enjoyed the return of the naughty little boy and the clever elephant.

The BBC are going for the nostalgia angle with the packaging, the original LP sleeve is reproduced for the cover, along with the notes, and the cd itself is printed to look like vinyl - a lovely touch which will likely elude the young listener but made me smile.

Not all modern children will appreciate Johnny Morris, but if you've the sort of kid who prefers slow and gentle animal stories, told in avuncular fashion, this should be a hit, ideal for settling down with at bedtime, surrounded by stuffed toys, to enjoy together. My parents in their 60s enjoyed it also!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved these when I was little., 11 April 2010
Davywavy2 - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I was little, you could ring a phone number to hear these stories - a different one every night as a bedtime story for people as small as I was. It was one of the highlights of my small day, and it made having to go to bed much less painful. Of course, I quickly realised that my mum couldn't hear what was going on on the other end of the line so, for all she knew, the story might be twenty minutes long and I got to go to bed at 7:15 rather than seven.

I don't mean to suggest that these stories taught me how to deceive my parents (I figured that out by myself), but it does indicate that to a small child they are rather wonderful and magical stories of talking to animals, told in a warm, avuncular way by one of the finest childrens entertainers this country produced in the last half century and each of them is easily worth listening to over and again. Perhaps what surprised me is how few there are; a couple of dozen, but I don't remember hearing the same one twice.

To a child, hearing stories of talking animals in the zoo telling their tales in funny voices can be some of the best entertainment you can get, and Johnny Morris managed the difficult task of writing five-minute vignettes with just enough fun in them to engage without confusing the audience with aplomb. We could do with more entertainers like him; calm, warm, funny, gentle, harmless - but, for small children, infintely repeatable. Let's face it; at bedtime, anything which gets your kids to shut up and go to sleep so you can crack open a bottle and settle down in front of the telly is worth it's weight in gold, so this is well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 31 Mar 2010
Johannsen "Krister" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It took me back years listening to the stories. They still have a magic about them that seems lacking these days. Lovely stories, non threatening, just pleasant little tales to help the little ones go to sleep.Johnny Morris had this down to a fine art. Wonderful material, the sort of stuff the kids want to hear again and again, and no bad thing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Johnny Morris Bedtime Stories (Vintage Beeb)
Johnny Morris Bedtime Stories (Vintage Beeb) by Johnny Morris (Audio CD - 4 Feb 2010)