4.0 out of 5 stars Not like it used to be but still very funny
Published on 8 July 2011 by S. Pawley

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably not as good as it was - but still good!
The late, great Humphrey Littleton is sadly missed. Humph's outrageous doubles entendres provoked belly-laughs which are far fewer in this latest collection, though there are plenty of giggles and sniggers.

Many of the old favourites remain - the Uxbridge English Dictionary, One Song to the Tune of Another and Mornington Crescent are all there, along with a...
Published on 6 July 2011 by Angela

4.0 out of 5 stars Not like it used to be but still very funny, 8 July 2011
S. Pawley - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For those who aren't familiar, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue is a comedy show described as the antidote to panel games'. Four comedians are given ridiculous tasks to perform like singing one song to the tune of another, or composing a letter by each panelist alternating one word at a time. Full of innuendo, puns, skits and witticisms, it's quite idiosyncratic, peculiarly English in a very Radio 4 kind of way, and extremely funny.

These two CDs contain four episodes from the 51st and 52nd series of programme, from 2009. These were recorded after Humphrey Lyttleton (who had chaired the show for decades) had died, and Jack Dee is chairing all four episodes on this compilation. Dee is an excellent choice to replace Humphrey - his deadpan grumpiness is well-suited to the role. Nonetheless, I must say that the show is not the same, and never will be again. It is still very funny and there are moments that are absolutely hilarious. Barry Cryer singing `Anarchy in the UK' to the tune of `Singing in the Rain' followed immediately by David Mitchell singing `Whiter Shade of Pale' to the tune of the theme from the Muppets in the fourth episode made for the funniest round of `One song to the tune of another' I have ever heard.

It's not quite like it used to be, but it's still very good indeed. If you're new to the show, earlier compilations containing older episodes are probably a better place to start. But if you're an existing fan who is after some new(ish) episodes, this compilation is definitely worth having.

5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable plethora of fast-witted comedy packed into just two and a half hours, 6 Aug 2011
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Length:: 6:54 Mins

Having first been broadcast back in 1972, BBC Radio's longstanding comedy panel game 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' has become somewhat of a British institution over the years. Originally hosted by Humphrey Lyttelton, after the great man's sad death, Stephen Fry, Rob Brydon and Jack Dee all took to the hosting seat - later to be taken up solely by Jack Dee.

Here we have four full episodes from 2009, taken from the 51st and 52nd series, and all hosted by Dee. The audibook consists of two CDs, with the episodes themselves split down into handy chapters, with their own individual titles making finding a particular sketch reasonably easy.

Because you've located this listing, it's probably quite safe to say that you're already reasonably familiar with what 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' is all about. However, to be very brief, the show is very much in the same vein as the likes of 'Just A Minute', 'My Word!', 'My Music', 'Call My Bluff' or any other such comedy panel games where the real aim is to be humorous rather than 'winning'. In the shows, the host (Dee in this case) presents a variety of wacky and often silly games at the panel, often with very amusing results.

The panel across the four episodes on this 13th collection include the usual regular panellists - Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer and Graeme Garden, as well as the special guests Jeremy Hardy, Sandi Toksvig, Rob Brydon and David Michell.

Rob Brydon and David Michell in particular are very much on form throughout, with their quick wit and generally comical air very much suited to and projected across the various panel games.

With broken up sections throughout each episode and the individual panel games only lasting a few minutes apiece, the audiobook is therefore ideal for short stinted commutes if uploaded onto an iPod or the like. The quick sketches are perfect for listening to in these short bursts, with little recurring themes between each sketch.

It's a very British comedy series with a great deal of amusing elegance about it. At times the humour does veer a little towards the risqué, but never overly so. It's certainly by no means 'adult' comedy, but is likely to be appreciated a lot more by more mature listeners.

All in all, the collection is a wonderful snippet from the ever growing archive of this long-standing (and deservedly so) comedy series. Chuckle along with the ridiculous antics put forward to the fast-witted panel, with plenty of downright ingenious little comedy moments throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars There Is Life After Chairman Humph, 21 Jun 2011
jcmacc (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Humphrey Littleton is rightfully described as an irreplaceable part of ISIHAC and it was difficult to see how the show could continue without him. Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that it has, as witnessed by this first post-Humph collection, because ISIHAC continued, and in fact thrived, after the sad loss of Willie Rushton who also appeared essential to the show. There's good reason that there is a blue plaque to Willie Rushton at Mornington Crescent tube station.

Just as Willie Rushton was replaced by a series of guests who have made their different individual marks on the show (like the excellent singer Rob Brydon and the excellently bad singer Jeremy Hardy) so the chairman's role has now passed on to Jack Dee. Dee has an inbuilt advantage in the role, one of Humph's essential contributions was to be comically miserable, something Dee has done all through his career and so something he can pull off (thank you Samantha) naturally and without looking like a Humph imitator while keeping the essential balance of the humour. It works, so of all the Chairmen of ISIHAC in the series since Humph left us, it's not a surprise that Dee is now in charge.

So, the sad loss of Chairman Humph aside, how is the new ISIHAC? The great news is that it is still the funniest thing on radio by a mile. Samantha still helps with the points, Lionel Blair is still the king of Give Us A Clue and Mornington Crescent is still a baffling game with ever developing rules - but the show continues to defy the laws of show business by remaining totally fresh even after 30-odd years.

(Still) highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the good reasons for the BBC licence fee, 6 July 2011
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No commercial radio channel would have allowed this programme to hit the airwaves. On the BBC it has enjoyed continued success since 1972, partly because of its silly but very funny verbal dexterity, partly because much of it is incomprehensible to the unaccustomed ear, and mostly because the more times one listens to it the funnier it becomes.

Humphrey Lyttleton was the original chairman, and we all missed him when he died in 2008. Several chairmen attempted to fill his shoes, but Jack Dee seems to have fit the bill very well, having a similar droll sense of contempt for the panellists and tender feel for the double entendre. The four episodes from 2009 on these two CDs of the 13th collection have the three regular panellists; Tim Brooke-Taylor, Barry Cryer, and Graeme Garden - who first devised the show. Each episode features a guest panellist, in turn; Jeremy Hardy, Sandi Toksvig, Rob Brydon, and David Mitchell.

Those of you who know and love `I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' will not need any further encouragement to listen to these episodes. For the uninitiated it can be something of an acquired taste, and it does require some mental agility to grasp all the puns and the buried humour. But once bitten it is hard to resist.

I listened to these on my ear-player on the bus and the tube. Someone laughing to themselves on public transport can quite often secure plenty of elbow room...

I'm only giving this set four stars because I feel that it is a little bit flat in some places, and perhaps the team has not yet fully settled in without Humph. Some of the episodes I have heard more recently on Radio 4 have been noticeably better than these four.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue 13 (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
I must admit i haven't listened to the show since Humphs demise thinking the show would never be the same again with another presenter and how right i was. But the good news is that Jack Dee has made it his own without losing any of the characteristic humour we've come to expect from the show. Yes, at times the show slips into slightly cheap humour and sounds more scripted than the 'spontaneous' replies it used to have yet it still appeals. Warning, don't listen to the cd whilst driving you may crash due to uncontrollable laughter, it's that funny. Well worth the price, long live Jack Dee!

4.0 out of 5 stars At least it's not Stephen Fry, 19 Jun 2011
A. Chell "Avid reader" (Staffordshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first collection of episodes I've listened to that were recorded following the death of long-time ISIHAC chairman Humphrey Lyttelton. All the usual games are present, from Uxbridge English Dictionary, via Sound Charades, to Mornington crescent, as are the usual panellists and guest list.

Filling the chairman's chair for this compilation is comedian Jack Dee, whose on-screen/radio persona as a professional miserablist is a good fit for the role of reluctant participant.

However, despite Jack's best efforts to play the grumpy curmudgeon role, his knowing delivery lacks the plausible innocence that Humph somehow managed when delivering the risqué Lionel Blair and Samantha-the-Scorer gags that are as much a staple of this show as any of the daft games. Also, Jack's highly-developed comic timing telegraphs to the audience when the punchline is coming, whereas when Humph read the lines, he seemed to be caught as unaware of the joke as the rest of us.

Overall, this is still hilariously funny and the best we can expect now that Humph has joined the Heavenly trumpeters, but his loss is still felt - hence the 4-star review.

Why was he taken from us so soon?

RIP Humphrey Lyttelton, 86 years young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still as funny as ever, 18 Jun 2011
K. Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sorry I haven't a Clue, the brilliant antidote to panel games, chaired so brilliantly for years by the much missed and loved Humphrey Littleton (Humph).

I must admit that I haven't listed to this in recent years and haven't heard any of it since Humph passed away, so I really wasn't sure how good it would be.

I'm pleased to say it's as funny as ever. It still has many of the very funny panelists of recent years contributing brilliant improvised comedy and the (currently temporary) chair of this compilation is Jack Dee who does a fantastic job with his dry and funny delivery and opens each episode with fantastic introductions.

Very good stuff indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS FUNNY, 18 Jun 2011
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had forgotten how funny these radio panel games were . The lightening wit brought back memories of Around The Horne and other radio classics of years gone by . More laughs per minute than anything I have heard or seen in years.
Quick , clever comedy at its very best from a team of experienced raconteurs . Each episode more risque and a bit longer than the radio broadcasts which can only be good news for fans and newcomers alike .
Worth the purchase price if only for Jack Dee's woebegone introductions and adjudications .
This gang should be on the National Health as a cure for depression or whatever else ails you .

4.0 out of 5 stars Business as usual, it's true, but business is good, 25 Oct 2011
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After running for nearly four decades, it's amazing that I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue hasn't run out of steam or material, but these four complete episodes from 2009 show it holding up strongly without the need of life support just yet. Perhaps it's because, like Have I Got News For You, the format is just loose enough to stretch the comic imagination rather than constrict it. Like Have I Got News For you it's survived the loss of its original chairman/host, with Jack Dee proving a more than able replacement and fitting in well with regular panelists Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Barry Cryer, with these four episodes also including Jeremy Hardy, David Mitchell, Sandi Toksvig and Rob Brydon. As usual it's a mixture of bad puns, surreal flights of fancy and the odd meaningless round of Mornington Crescent, with inspiration winning over the odd slow patch that creeps in from time to time. It's not big but it is often clever and it's ideal for unwinding after a far too serious day - and you'll never think of the theme tune to Jim'll Fix It the same way again after this disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars i'm sorry i havn't a clue 13, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue 13 (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
very good cd always a very funny ;programme and always a joy to listen to many times and this one is no different well worth buying

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue 13 (BBC Audio)
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue 13 (BBC Audio) by David Mitchell (Audio CD - 2 Jun 2011)
10.14