4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing radio comedy from the Peep Show stars
The fact that Mitchell and Webb, have been so successful in 2 major tv series and to a lesser extent their film, Magicians, means that this bright comedy duo are finally running the risk of spreading themselves a little thin on this fourth series of their popular radio show. This, in turn, leaves a slight sense of over-familiarity with certain elements and themes within...
Published on 22 Nov 2009 by Paul M

3.0 out of 5 stars It's no Peep Show, but better than the TV Series
I came to Mitchell and Webb a little late. The odd chat show appearance here, and excerpts of their radio and TV series now and again. The last didn't quite convince me as it was so patchy, veering from the hilarious to the awkwardly unfunny. However, I then gave Peep Show a try as it was so consistently well reviewed. Having watch Series 6, I then bought the box set...
Published on 23 Jun 2010 by Richard Allen

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny Stuff, 21 Nov 2009
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: That Mitchell and Webb Sound: Series 4 (That Mitchell & Webb Sound) (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mitchell and Webb are back for another radio series of That Mitchell and Webb Sound, where they do audible comedy which is often slapstick or mimicking the silly world we live in. Aired during August and September this year, the comedy is sharp and funny, and includes some really hilarious comedy like Yoghurt, An Advert, Compare Compare Compare and Balloons Animal Sanctuary, which are great advert parodies, and the Stargate office, where they have a Stargate in their office, and the employees mess around with it.

Olivia Coleman and Sarah Hanland are also on hand with the funnies, and some of the funniest moments come from them as well as Mitchell and Webb; and some of the funniest stuff comes in historical farce and just good clean comedy.

This set comes on 3 CDs and lasts 3 hours, 86 tracks in total.

The one problem I spotted was that there's a track missing, well it's been amalgamated into the final track (The Last Farce actually has the end credits on the end) - otherwise this is an excellent collection and worth getting if you love good old comedy and slapstick jokes.

A nice Christmas stocking filler.

2.0 out of 5 stars Clever, but is it funny ?, 3 Dec 2009
P. G. Harris - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Humour is a very personal thing and I am afraid that these CDs just don't do it for me.

There is some very good stuff here, the old lady job hearings are excellent, the "boy who cried wolf" verges on the brilliant, and the cartoon criminals sketch, while not original, is still very funny.

However there is far more miss than hit here. Too many sketches where I find myself thinking "that's a really clever idea, it's just a shame they couldn't really find my funny bone."

If it were just that, I would probably rate this higher, but I found myself getting annoyed. Too many sketches take a thin idea which could make a reasonable 30 sec gag, and stretch it out to 3 or 4 minutes where it just becomes irritating. One sketch contains the line "I wanted to smash my radio in frustration". Well that unfortunately is how I felt at times with these CDs. A case in point is the very first sketch about Caesar refrring to himself in the third person. Starts off reaonably smile worthy, gets stretched out far too far.

It's a shame, they are obviously very talented and have the potential to be very funny with the right material. This just didn't work for me.

That Mitchell and Webb Sound: Series 4 (That Mitchell & Webb Sound)
14.43