5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to find this - and such good condition!
Published 7 months ago by SarahME

3.0 out of 5 stars A Taste for Death
I love the way PD James expresses herself. I always feel as though I'm reading something of quality with her books. However, this was not one of my favourites. I didn't really care about any of the characters in this story so it was the intrigues of the plot which kept me reading. Abbeys and boarding schools don't do it for me either.
Published 22 months ago by Cassie

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to find this - and such good condition!, 21 May 2014
My 98-year old grandfather has decided that, at his age, he's allowed to find reading somewhat tiring - and so likes to supplement his previously ferocious reading habit with audiobooks. We've tried over the years to teach him to use CDs, but - and even I, at a seemingly sprightly 35 can agree with this - they're an not ideal medium for audiobooks as, unless you press "Pause" and leave the machine whirring indefinitely, you can only jump between chapters and not go back to the place where you stopped listening last time.
"A Taste for Death" is one of his favourite books, and I've searched high and low for a second hand copy of the unabridged version - sporadically checking Amazon. Then this once popped up in mint condition and at an excellent price. It arrived very promptly, snuggly wrapped, and looking as if had come straight from the manufacturer, untouched by human hands. I'm delighted, as is Grandpa - who is now listening to it, headphones on, while keeping an eye on the ships as they enter and leave the port at Harwich.
Great seller, would use again. Thanks. You made an old, old vicar and his grand-daughter very happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A murder mystery full of many threads and avenues., 10 Nov 2012
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have read a few of P D James' books, but not many, so was happy to dive into this tale of murder and mystery. The death of a tramp and a recently resigned Minister of the Crown in a London church draw Dalgliesh and his team to uncover a tangled web of lies, deceit, ambition and long-held passions. What they find is surprising. This book is good, but it did go into an awful lot of detailed explanations of every little thing which in the scheme of things were not really particularly relevant to the story - at over 500 pages, I did feel that the book could have benefited from some judicious editing.

A good murder mystery, but not great. Recommended for a restful read when you have plenty of time to devote to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece from the queen of crime., 23 Nov 2004
K. J. Kloian - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Taste for Death (Paperback)
P.D.James shines here with this novel which contains everything needed in a murder mystery.
Gripping from start to finish, this novel sees Dalgliesh caught up in an investigation which has turned personal - he knew the victim. There are many twists and turns here as they try to unravel the clues and evidence to point them to a ruthless and sadistic killer. There are many sub-plots in the novel which try to lead you astray, but ultimately it comes down to one ruthless murderer. Kate Miskin features heavily in this story and a great part of the novel involves her personal life which we have not seen until now.
A truly thrilling cerebral mystery, which delivers the goods intelligently and VERY Englishly! One of my personal favourites which I read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars p d james at her very best, 17 Dec 2006
I have always loved p d James books and would rate them very highly. This book has taken her to a new stratoshere in the genre of crime writing. It has a beautiful prosse, well rounded characters and a top class whodunnit. I loved the plotline. How could a top MP and a tramp both end up with their throats cut in a london church? we are drawn into the whys and wherefores from page one and there are fabulous sub plots which touch at the heartstrings, Detective Kate Miskin and her humble upbringing is an example. She has risen from a council high rise flat to become a top detective and still she has her doubts as to where she really fits in to the team inveatigating the double murder. the ending is both poignant and surprising. What more can you ask from a high class whodunnit?

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandpa loved it, 6 May 2014
Helen Bennett "helen7741" (Lancaster, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a present for my grandpa, who likes a good taped murder mystery as bedtime listening. He's loving it: clear characterisation, good writing and a strong plot, and it's kept him going for months albeit in strictly rationed portions.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Taste for Death, 13 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 11 Jan 2013
Christine Marryat (Charente France) - See all my reviews
This is the first book I down loaded on my Kindle and it is not only a great book as one would expect from P.D. James but th Knidle is marvellous as well

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one her best., 22 Dec 2014
This was the most disappointing book. Very slow and dragged out the storyline for unusually long time. Very unlike all her other books. Failed to see the motives, with very weak characters, and no suspense, just prolonged nonsense

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved her descriptions of London., 17 May 2012
Oranges and apples I guess. The descriptive passages enthralled me. I guess you have to be in the right kind of mood, sometimes you want a fast paced novel with lots of action, other times you want someone to paint pictures for you. I thought the story atmospheric and enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Dalgliesh mystery, 20 Dec 2014
Peter Joiner (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Taste for Death (BBC Audio) (Audio CD)
Murder and politics is always a good mix, Dagliesh soon decides the truth behind two seemingly strange bedfellows found dead together.

A Taste for Death (BBC Audio)
A Taste for Death (BBC Audio) by P. D. James (Audio CD - 27 Nov 2008)
Used & New from: £6.70