4.0 out of 5 stars Great Old Fashioned Spy Thriller
This is a great change in pace against normal spy books. There are no wiz bangs and gorgeous women. It just revolves around old fashioned atmosphere and storytelling.

We follow the expolits of George Smiley, one of the Cold War's heroes, as he is tasked with finding a Soviet mole imbedded within MI6. He was ousted in a shake-up following the overthrow, and...
Published on 8 Nov. 2006 by J. E. Parry

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay if you know what's going on
I watched Film 2011 where they said that people had watched the film and were reading the book to work out what happened. I thought I would read the book first. Unfortunately I am now going to have to watch the film to try work out what happened in the book.

Very complicated, although The Tailor of Panama by the same author is a very easy read. I would also...
Published on 6 Nov. 2011 by John Meanwood

‹ Previous | 123 24 2530 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent adaptation, but a little confusing at times, 27 Feb. 2010
Alan Pavelin (Chislehurst, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This became famous about 30 years ago, with the TV version starring Alec Guinness; everyone I knew seemed to be following it! But 30 years is a long time, and not having read the book I had forgotten virtually everything about it. This BBC radio adaptation is clearly excellent, with the superb Simon Russell Beale (possibly our finest current actor?) as Smiley, but I am marking it down to 4 because I found it quite difficult and complicated to follow at times, though the third episode was best in this respect. But don't let that put you off, it is possibly a failing in myself. If you are completely new to Smiley, however, you may just find it confusing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully read, brutally abridged., 8 Mar. 2010
Alan K (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
John le Carre gives a great reading of one of his most popular works, but beware! At just 3 hours playing time this has been brutally abridged. Anyone not already familiar with the book would find it hard to follow and the lack of any characterisation makes it hard to keep track of the players. A real shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 April 2015
Perfectly satisfied

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 14 April 2012
Read this when first published many years ago and decided to revisit again after it was recently made into an excellent film and found it still as good a read as the first time. As with all Le Carre books it takes time for the characters to develop but it is this attention to detail that gives the reader a glimse into what life must have been like in the cold war era.
The only disappointment was the poor proof reading of the kindle edition which caused numerous errors with words and grammar.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is going to be a very good book!, 2 Dec. 2011
I last read a John Le Carre novel when I was doing O-level English Literature - 'The Spy who Came in from the Cold'. Super story and very exciting. I only started 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' today, as it happens, and I've only read the first chapter, but I love it already and I'm very sure the classy writing will continue till the end. I can feel the author's web tightening around me, and I won't be allowed to escape it till he's finished with me - highly recommended - even after one chapter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!, 29 Feb. 2012
This book was a delight to read, although a trifle confusing. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes books that have action, deduction, and a little bit of everything really. Definitely one of the best books i've read in a long time, and now I'm reading The Honourable Schoolboy and i can't put that down either. John le Carre is a genius. Please please please give it a chance. An excellent book, as i have said too many times in this review. Absolutely fantastic. Amen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent production, 20 Mar. 2010
Mrs. F. Huxley (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have never managing to finish the book as I found it difficult to get into but I have always felt that I should read the novel as it is a classic so this seemed an excellent way to 'read' it without the struggle and it was brilliant.

This adapation was easier to follow and well cast. The characters came to life and the atmosphere created was wonderful. I've got the next book in the trilogy on audio and hopefully it is as good. Another quality audio production from the BBC.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tinker, Tailor..., 9 July 2013
This is a classic book and a great read. My problem was with Kindle - each time I re-opened the book I was informed that there was an error, to remove the book from my Kindle and then re-load from the cloud. OK once, but it became very 'wearing' when it was each time I opened the book. In the end I had to leave wireless on and not go back to the home page before closing my Kindle down. A real shame. I would give the author 5 stars, but Kindle only 1-2...

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 21 Feb. 2012
Takes quite a while to get into as it's a very slow start, and at times can be quite confusing as to who all the characters are. It's quite easy to put down but this isn't a good idea as then you lose the momentum and forget all the little pointers etc so it's better to try and read it quickly. Well written and by reading it, it meant I really enjoyed the film as I understood what was going on whereas lots of my friends just got confused and bored by it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice dramatization of this classic, 26 Feb. 2010
Jeremy Walton (Sidmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleased to be offered this by Amazon Vine, as I missed the original broadcast of this series on the radio last year. I've read the novel many times, and also enjoyed the BBC TV adaption, so this is a tale that's greatly loved by me (to such an extent that at times, I found myself reciting some of the dialogue along with the actors). For the sake of completeness, we should perhaps also mention the 1988 BBC radio dramatization (starring Bernard Hepton as Smiley), and I see that a cinematic adaption is apparently in development.

For the most part, it's a compelling dramatization, with some deft touches such as the intrusion of Smiley's unfaithful wife Ann into his interior monologue as he struggles to unravel that other tale of betrayal - that of the Russian mole within British Intelligence. As others have commented, Smiley has been associated with Alec Guinness (who played him in the TV version) for so long that any actor who steps into those shoes probably suffers in comparison: I thought, however, that Simon Russell Beale (who portrays him throughout this sequence of radio adaptions of Smiley novels) does a fine job here, but I was delighted to hear Kenneth Cranham, who gets the minor part of the bluff and dependable Mendel exactly right, to my ears.

‹ Previous | 123 24 2530 | Next ›

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (BBC Audio)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (BBC Audio) by John Le Carre (Audio CD - 7 Jan. 2010)