5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite children's book
'You might be afraid of the dark, but the dark is not afraid of you. That's why the dark is always close by'...

Published 11 months ago by K. L. Beeden

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a winner with me
Published 4 months ago by Book chatter

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite children's book, 7 Aug 2013
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews

This glorious hardback children's book made my stomach lurch the first time I saw it. Something about the cover made me want to cry. It depicts a boy (who is revealed in the text as Laszlo) standing nervously at the top of a staircase peering into looming darkness. Something about Jon Klassen's eloquent illustrations reminds me of how it feels to be a child, and how it feels to be afraid. Lemony Snicket, most famous for creating A Series of Unfortunate Events, provides the simple yet captivating story of Laszlo facing his phobia head-on. The remarkable collaboration of text and illustration makes The Dark a stand out children's book, perfect for talking to children about their fears.

I have never read another children's book like it, and as a mother, student of children's literature and nursery nurse I have a wide ranging knowledge of picturebooks. The ultimate simplicity of The Dark and a plot that younger readers will relate to will surely contribute to the long-lasting success that I predict for this book. It has a timeless, ethereal quality and a narrative that will never date-for as long as there are children there will be children with phobias.

My five-year-old was captivated, and particularly liked the personification of the darkness. Although not a fan of the dark himself, he wasn't scared and especially liked Laszlo, a normal boy just like him. The Dark is already a huge hit in our house!

Jon Klassen's illustrations are beyond exquisite and I cannot see how they could be bettered. They absolutely made the book for me, and The Dark has leapt straight into my list of favourite books. A beautiful book that every home should own.

Published by Orchard, The Dark is out now in hardback.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars help your toddler tackle their fears, 19 April 2013
This review is from: The Dark (Hardcover)
This book is great. firstly the story is beautifully written and the pictures are delightful. Thee story is about a little boy who is afraid of the dark. The dark is personified and eventually the boy meets the dark and overcomes his fear. Any more detail and I will spoil the story. Suffice to say, it has been a great talking point in our house and resulted in a few very useful conversations with my three year old about things that worry him and how to deal with them. At first my son did not want to read it again but he now asks for it.
Thanks Lemony....

4.0 out of 5 stars the darkness, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Dark (Kindle Edition)
What a delightful story, elegantly written and beautifully drawn. There is nothing to be scared of, but there is plenty to be understood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow :'), 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Dark (Kindle Edition)
I am fifteen years old and this book scared the heck out of me
seriously
It's a wonderful book but it's hella scary
and it's only like ten pages long
don't ask me how a ten page long book for 3-6 years scared me but it did. The bit where the dark is like 'come closer' wow that's just frightening
but 10/10 would reccomend

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark, 31 May 2014
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Dark (Kindle Edition)
Although this is a picture book, personally I feel it is suitable for slightly older readers - reception age, or even older. Laszlo lives in a large house, where the dark lurks, even in the daytime. The dark hides in the cupboard, behind the shower curtain and mostly in the basement. Then, one night, the dark visits Laszlo in his bedroom and wants to show him something - does he dare to visit the basement at night? Now, you can view this book as creepy and, indeed, the illustrations are a little scary in places - but then, many children do find the dark frightening. However, I think that this is a very reassuring read indeed. I read this to a group of four and five year olds and they really enjoyed discussing it. As the book says, "You might be afraid of the dark but the dark is not afraid of you." Once children learn to understand why they are afraid of something, it becomes less scary and I would not hesitate to recommend this book to any parent whose child was afraid of the dark. If, however, you think this might be too frightening, there is "Darkness Slipped In," by Ella Burfoot for younger children, or "The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark," by Jill Tomlinson for older children who need reassurance.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it was a great book . I like lemony snickets books . I put five stars it was so good, 25 May 2014
This review is from: The Dark (Kindle Edition)
The lemony snicket books are very good the book I just read was the dark it is very good I do read
a lot of lemony snicket books but this one in particular is my favriot one of all

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dark by Lemony Snicket, 12 April 2014
This review is from: The Dark (Hardcover)
This is a great book, just like all of Lemony Snicket's works. I enjoyed it immensely and the artwork is pretty awesome as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it, 10 April 2014
This review is from: The Dark (Hardcover)
This is his favourite book at the moment. He loves reading about the dark. He is also afraid of the dark - that's why I bought it. I think the story gives him some comfort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a winner with me, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Dark (Hardcover)
Having read all the previous reviews I'm not sure I've read the same book!!. Shortlisted for the 2014 Kate Greenaway award, I found this book frightening and disturbing and not one I'd want to share with a young child even if it was to try and help them overcome fears - I think it could create more. I also didn't like the pictures. They are all dark and unfinished, almost crude. I'm sure the names have helped to sell this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids that are being afraid of the darkness, 21 Dec 2013
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Dark (Hardcover)
"The Dark" written by Lemony Snicket and illustrated by Jon Klassen is a book for children telling a story about one common kids fear and ways how to beat it.

The main character, young boy named Laszlo, is afraid of the dark. Every morning, he greets the dark in the basement, hoping it won't come to him.
But one evening as the sun slowly sets, Laszlo's fear will address him by voice. And then Laszlo will have to deal with it not being able to run and hide anymore...

Although the plot seems simple, the author who previously made A Series of Unfortunate Events", a great series for kids, once again did fantastic job together with illustrator delivering uniquely presented book about common children fear.
In particular this innovative approach can be seen in the end of the book that is completely different and, to put it simply, just excellent.
Klassen's illustrations made in dark and gloomy tones nicely complements author's writing making it at the same time and a bit scary book, but due to its outcome also full of encouragement for the little reader.

Therefore, if your kid is being afraid of the darkness, this book might be of great help to explain there's nothing to be afraid of.

The Dark
The Dark by Lemony Snicket (Hardcover - 3 April 2013)
9.95
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available