5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Published on 30 May 2009 by TeensReadToo

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down really...
I started the series as a bit of light reading and it kept my interest quite well. However,as soon as it got a little bit of excitement going, it was all ruined. I could forgive the first book for making the mission a 'test' but to happen twice in a row is for one, too predictable and two generally bad writing. Jk Rowling did not finish Harry potter as 'voldermort was...
Published 14 months ago by Katie willerton

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 30 May 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Cameron Morgan attends the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women where, unknown to the outside world, she is training to be a spy. She first stole our hearts in Ally Carter's I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU. Ms. Carter's second novel, CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO SPY, is a fast-paced Gallagher Girls sequel that you won't be able to put down.

In the first novel, Cammie falls for Josh, a regular boy from the village who crashes her final exam. CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE TO SPY begins as Cammie is debriefed about her ex-boyfriend, aka, The Subject. She wonders if he even remembers her, if she'll ever see him again, or if she even wants to. She promises her mother, the headmistress of Gallagher, that she's finished with lying and sneaking around, unless under cover, of course, and that she'll never let a boy compromise her judgment again. Ready to focus on her classes, it's an easy promise to make. But it's not long before Cammie realizes how difficult that promise will be to keep.

She overhears her mother tell her Covert Operations teacher, "Cammie doesn't know anything." They discuss something called Blackthorne. Her mother tells the girls of the academy that the East Wing is closed due to contamination by fumes from the chemistry labs. But Cammie knows there's no way that's possible. "There is no ventilation access from the chem labs to the East Wing," she says.

Cammie and her friends are forced to launch their own covert operation to discover more about the fifteen male spies who have moved in as guests of the academy. She wonders why she is continually paired with Zach, and how he knows so much about her and the secret passages within the academy. When the academy's security is breached, knowing who you can trust becomes a matter of life and death.

If you haven't read Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls novels, you are seriously missing out on a fabulous experience. CROSS YOUR HEART AND HOPE TO SPY was every bit as good as Ms. Carter's first Gallagher Girls novel. Her third book, DON'T JUDGE A GIRL BY HER COVER, is due to be released in June. I'm putting in a Pre-Order and hoping that I'll see these books on the big screen.

Reviewed by: Cana Rensberger

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Really Really good., 17 Jan 2009
This is such a cool book. I am 15 years old, and think this book should be read by 13-17 year olds.
Just make sure you read "I'd tell you I love you but then I'd have to kill you" first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Spy Book Ever!!!!!, 15 Aug 2011
Wajid Hussain (UK) - See all my reviews
I have an unsual taste for spy books such as alex rider and cherub but this is one of the best. it has one unique feature. The main character is a girl. In most books it is a by but this unique and i would definatly recommend it to anyone. Looking at reviews i have learnt most people think its around the teen area. I would agree but whoever you are you should definitly read it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flew through this book!, 3 Jun 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gallagher Girls: 2: Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy (Paperback)
WARNING: May contain spoilers for those who have not yet read I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You.

It's the start of a new semester at Gallagher Academy and Cammie is trying to start afresh. After the disaster at the end of I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You when her non-spy boyfriend, Josh, attempted to 'save' her whilst she was in the middle of a cover operations test, she's got to regain the trust of her teachers and her fellow classmates and try to stop thinking about Josh. When she arrives back at school; however, she starts to notice some odd things. For one, an entire corridor of the school has been 'locked', something unheard of at Gallagher Academy given that every single student knows how to pick a lock anyway. Cammie and her friends are determined to uncover the secret that the headmistress, also Cammie's mother, is hiding and what plans are about to be unveiled in the new locked corridor. Cammie's Josh drama from the previous semester convinced those in charge of spy training that although the girls have the highest IQs in the country, they don't know a thing about boys and they're going to do something about it.

I really loved I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You (man, that is long) but it took me quite a long time to get into it so I wasn't sure what to expect from Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy. I whizzed through this book in one sitting and I love that these books are so easy to fly through in a few hours. Book 2 in this series is definitely better than book 1 in my opinion. The pace is a lot faster and the plot was far more interesting with more twists and turns along the way, especially towards the end. I thought that this was going to a really predictable book, but actually, the ending turned out slightly different to what I had imagined which is a plus for a YA book.

As with book 1, these books aren't really about the romance, but more about the spying and Cammie Morgan, the main character. Although the plot was far more interesting in this one, I still found that the best thing about this book was not the story line, but the character of Cammie. In book 1, I didn't think that we got to see much of Cammie's love interest, Josh, at all and so I never really connected much with his character, but things are different in Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy. The main boy of interest is Zach and there just seemed to be so much more to him than Josh. I probably think this because Zach is much more my type - mysterious, intelligent, possible dark side, whereas Josh is just a bit of a marshmallow all round. Zach and Cammie interact a lot more than Josh and Cammie did which makes it easier to visualise and root for their relationship. That said, I was never really sure if we were supposed to be rooting for Zach or not and I didn't really decide how I felt about him until the very last page, but it was good that this book kept me on my toes.

Cammie hasn't really changed all that much since book one, except that she is slightly less naive and clueless about life. This was definitely a plus because although we miss out on some comedy, her naivity was starting to grate on me by the end of book one. I like that Cammie is a character who doesn't get completely absorbed by just one thing, usually boys, but has time to care about her family, her friends, her school work, and boys. I think Cammie's character was stronger in book two and I hope that she continues to develop throughout the rest of the series.

Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy had a pretty similar format to I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You, in fact, you didn't really need to read the first book at all in order to understand this one as it's pretty self explanatory and in my opinion, there are few references to the first book. Personally, I thought that book two was far better than book one in terms of plot and character. I'm still not really sure what to expect from book three, given that books one and two could basically be two standalone novels. Either way, I'm really excited to read it because I absolutely loved Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy!

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 31 Jan 2011
Was given the first book in the series and loved it so much I have since bought the other 3. I know they are aimed at teenagers but being an Agatha Christie fan I like the who dunnit, mystery aspect. I will look to pass on to my daughter when I've finished them all. I just wish they were longer as I can read cover to cover in a couple days and being on book 4 am worrying when the next one will be out.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all starting to gel, 9 Jan 2011
TG "What I Read and What I Thought" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I only liked, didn't love the first book in the Gallagher Girl series. The first book was cute and an enjoyable read but the spy stuff was campier than I'd expected - to compare it to TV shows, it felt more like a Chuck than an Alias or a 24. The thing is, I grew to love Chuck for the same reasons I think I have grown to love the Gallagher Girls. The author doesn't really try to make spy stuff realistic (the gadgets and tools feel more like magic than anything science could actually produce) but that should just be treated as a fun sideline to what is becoming a series with characters that you love and really care about, a world that is becoming more complex and interesting and a plot line that stays emotionally true to the characters.

Cross My Heart...starts off with the main character Cammie dealing with the ramifications of what she did in Book 1. Yep, there's no magic reset button and although you can read and enjoy this book without reading the first, readers who have read Book 1 are paid off with a continuing story and answers to some of the questions they were left with.

So join Cammie and her friends as they try to to discover who or what the mysterious Blackthorne is...and Cammie meets a boy who she might be able to share her secrets with. (And I must say, will have all teenage girl readers swooning over him). If you're looking for a teen book series to get into, I recommend this one...they're getting better all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 18 Aug 2010
I officially love this series! The first book, I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You felt like a guilty pleasure - a book I really enjoyed but felt I shouldn't. After reading this one I no longer feel guilty! I positively enjoyed it and can't wait for more.

Cam is back and exactly the same as before. I really like her and her witty observations. Her friends are ace as well - I love Bex and Macey's attitude, and Liz's clumsiness. She really makes me laugh! And of course I love all the spy stuff! I love the whole concept of a spy school and think it's a superb basis for a series of books.

There were some great actions scenes and the whole book felt exciting - with a mystery to solve and a romance. I enjoyed watching Cam and her friends try to work it all out - how they think they have the answers but just end up with more questions! I must admit I did twig what was going on but it didn't spoil my enjoyment one bit. I also liked the romance and felt there was some great chemistry this time. I guess sometimes 'bad boys' really are more appealing! I really hope we get to see much more of Zach.

There was also really good continuation here from the first book. We get more snippets about Cam's father and it is implied there is more to the story than she realises. I'm hoping this will be something we find out more about in future books. I also liked the way events in the previous book were alluded to and that it had a impact on events in this book. I was glad we got to see Josh again and Cam's reaction to it.

This is just such a fun, light read and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I hope the series continues to go from strength to strength and am really looking forward to Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover when it's released in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 14 July 2014
five stars cos I thought it was totally awesome when it got brought all together! I liked all the drama and romance but it was also quite exciting and interesting with the action!!!! would definitely recommend it to girls that are interested in all that kinda stuff. Can't wait to read the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book and hope to die! :), 15 Jun 2014
5 stars is the highest that I can possibly give so in giving it. UN-putdownable. I loved every second of reading this book, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend! I love the series and I love ally carter now. I have read the whole series and would have to say it's my favourite book series ever! X

5.0 out of 5 stars Book 2, 14 May 2014
This book was a excellent book I love the twist at the end and I'll hope we see more Zach and cammie in the future books!

Gallagher Girls: 2: Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy
Gallagher Girls: 2: Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy by Ally Carter (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)
5.24