5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh idea, just not my cup of tea
Published 3 months ago by StacieSnape

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Oct 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Welcome to The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, an all-girls school located just outside of Roseville, Virginia. Anyone looking at this elite private boarding school would see just what The Gallagher Academy wants you to see--a preppy school for privileged girls, complete with a guardhouse and stone wall to keep the curious away from their precious charges. And they'd be right, of course, and yet they would be so very, very wrong!

Because The Gallagher Academy isn't exactly what it appears to be. It's an elite school, that's for sure, and the only boys who grace its grounds are the male teachers. After that, though, the similarities between The Gallagher Academy and every other elite boarding school in the world ends. Instead of math and reading, English and horseback-riding, the girls who attend this school take courses in Covert Operations, Ancient Languages, Countries of the World, Culture and Assimilation, and Protection and Enforcement. The Gallagher Academy is, in a word, a school for spies.

Cammie Morgan is a second-generation Gallagher girl--her mother, who also attended the school, is now the headmistress. Her two best friends, Liz and Bex, are both super-smart, and the best spies-in-training she knows (except for Liz's lack of coordination, but that's another story). Cammie has spent most of her life inside the walls of The Gallagher Academy, and now that another semester is starting, complete with new CoveOps teacher, hunky Joe Solomon, she's really looking forward to the new school year.

But then things start to get a little out of control. Mr. Solomon seems to know all about Cammie's missing-and-presumed-dead father. She meets a boy in town, Josh, who finally sees her, really sees her, like no one else ever has. After all, she didn't get her nickname, "the chameleon," for nothing. But now Cammie is balancing on a dangerous ledge--knowing that no one outside of the gates of The Gallagher Academy can ever know who she truly is, and wanting nothing more than to spill all of her secrets to Josh.

As lies tangle with truths, as first love duels with obligation, Cammie will need to learn exactly what it means to be a spy, her mother's daughter, and a young girl falling in love.

I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU, BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU is a wonderful, laugh-out-loud, action-adventure extravaganza. Filled with plenty of cool gadgets, intriguing teachers, and heart-pounding first-love moments to keep the reader interested, you won't be able to put this book down once you start. A true winner, and I definitely can't wait for a sequel!

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 2 Sep 2013
The plot is really twisted and different from most spy books. From the mission reports to the everyday life, every bit of it is so different. I really enjoy it and would recommend highly that you read the whole series. Cammie will capture you and show you that being a spy happens in everyday life and even then it can shock you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing YA Spy Novel, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Gallagher Girls: 01: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You (Paperback)
I'd Tell You I Love You is the first teen spy novel in the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter. I'd heard a lot about the series before I started reading it but when I saw the first book was on offer on iBooks, I snapped up the chance to read it. The series is about a girls' school for spies disguised to the outside world as a school for geniuses. The concept of a spy school for the most elite teen girls really interested me as it's not an idea I've read before and I think Ally Carter exceeded my expectations on this particular idea. There is a huge emphasis on the girls, in particular the protagonist Cammie, being exceptionally talented. The girls know fourteen languages, how to kill a man seven different ways and can break CIA codes, but lack the 'ordinary' social skills most girls know, such as how to talk to a boy.

Other than the fact the book is based on spy school, it is a typical story of a young girls first romantic relationship and how she deals with these new experiences. I would definitely recommend this book as it's a great addition to the YA genre. I will be reading the other books in the series when I get a chance but for now, I'd love to know your thoughts on the first book if you've read it

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh idea, just not my cup of tea, 23 Aug 2014
While I enjoyed reading something different to my comfort soon, I wouldn't say this book gripped me in any way. If I'm being honest, I think given its target audience I was never really going to connect 100% to the characters because I'm not a teenager anyone as much as I wish still was, and though they may not have acted like it all the time, there was moments when they were typical teenager girls. I was never a typical teenager girl worried about boys and make up so it's very unlikely I would have been able to connect to the books back then either. But this is not Ally Carter's fault.

Like I said, I enjoyed the thought of an exclusive spy school as it was different from the rest, but I've never really been into spy book or films, in fact I've never even watched the James Bond movies so while it was a change, it didn't leave me dying to read the next. For me, and you could think I'm completely wrong, but this book focused too much on a love story and not enough on the spy side to it. I think being the first in the series it would have been better to have the love interest maybe closer to the end if not in the second book once everyone has gotten used to the idea of the school. Instead we were introduced to the school, the teachers, learnt some of the history of the school and then Cammie meets Josh and it almost feels like everything else is forgotten.

As far as the character's go, I've already said I couldn't relate to most of them, but that doesn't mean they weren't likeable. I really liked Cammie's friends Bex and Liz. I loved how they were loyal and really protective of Cammie. I didn't like Josh too much, but I don't think we really see his full character in this book so it's something I look out for as I carry on the series, and most of her teachers annoyed me at times.

Overall while it might seem all I'm doing is complaining about the book, I didn't hate it. It was a quick and easy fun read. I don't know when I'll be continuing the series because other books are just calling to me more, but I will because I want to see if it gets better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an incredible book / series ! That had me hooked from page one and I couldn't stop till I had read them all !!, 4 Sep 2014
This is my Mother amazon account but she allowed me to write my review .
My name is Sophie Emmerson and I'am twelve years old .
When my Mother and I went into whsmiths I found this book and I wasn't sure but then I read the blurb and I fell in love with the idea of it being a boarding school for spies !
I have read all the Gallagher girls books and they are without a doubt incredible I will tell you now that when you start you can't stop !!
This first one is about meeting the characters and getting into the spy world and the book is written in cammie's perspective . To the outside world the Gallagher academy is a school for exceptional young women but dig deeper and you will find there is more than meets the eye inside the Gallagher academy .
This first book is very low key compared to the rest .
As it says on the blurb '' cammie's is about face her hardest mission yet falling in love !"
But like any relationship it has it's consequences as you will read / or have read its a large consequence !!
I'll say no more but if you haven't read it you should and if you have already I hope you liked it !!
Review by Sophie Emmerson

2.0 out of 5 stars Um....yeah..., 6 Sep 2014
Ok, so a LOT of people have raved about this series, and I mean a LOT. So I thought, ok, why not give it a go? I'm not what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this. I was disappointed, I couldn't lose myself in the book at all, I didn't connect with any of the characters, and when I finished the book I wasn't left feeling 'Yeah! I can't wait to read more!'. Instead I was left feeling 'Well, I don't see why this book is so popular'. The trouble is, the idea was all there. An exclusive school for teenage spies? That could've been great! Sadly, I found the book repetitive (the same thoughts and phrases repeated all the way through) and Cammie, the heroine boring and whiney. Perhaps the other books in the series are better? I may read them and find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... book when i have read the whole series and LOVED IT! But honestly i cannot praise these books ..., 17 July 2014
Maybe i'm biased as a reader reviewing the first book when i have read the whole series and LOVED IT! But honestly i cannot praise these books enough. I fall right into the category of the 'target audience' though never really felt like it was overly cheesy or that the romance came in too much.

You can relate to characters, laugh at them because this book isn't short of humor and i never predicted the outcome EVER. In the end, this book isn't about a normal girl, it's about a spy girl who thinks slightly differently, who is a SPY. I enjoyed reading the spy, information type stuff just as i enjoyed the 'girly' romance.
Honestly these books shaped my early teens years and if i don't say so myself i've turned out pretty amazing!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought this book was a very easy and gripping read as I read it within a ..., 18 July 2014
I thought this book was a very easy and gripping read as I read it within a few days. I found the undercover/secret life of the main character extremely interesting and it made me think about what I would think and do if this happened to me as I am the same age as the girls in the book. I love the themes mystery, secret and romance all jumbled up together and some of the scenarios are extremely relatable to, however I did feel that something was missing, maybe a bit more reality.
Overall I loved this book and continued to read the rest of the series, I have also already recommended it to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase I've Made This Year, 7 Aug 2014
After hearing of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls series from multiple people, I borrowed a copy from my local library and here I am one year later reading the series for the third time, having bought my own copy of the books and still enjoying it equally as much as I did one year ago.
I've recommended this book to multiple people. Advanced readers or readers lacking in confidence will enjoy this book, it's a fantastic, engaging plot and I can assure you that this is not the last time I shall be reading the Gallagher Girls series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive in parts, 19 Jun 2010
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You is the first book I have read by Ally Carter, and so far, she has really impressed me! The book is mainly set in an American private school, Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. All of the people who live in the town of Roseville (the town the Academy is in) automatically believe the girls who go there are posh snobs who don't really know anything and are just there because they CAN. But, oh how wrong are they. What they don't know is that the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women is actually a school to train upcoming SPIES! The Gallagher Girls (as they are known) are known in history (well, secretly - it's a secret that one Gallagher Girl invented duct tape) as they have been around for 100 years - learning at school a variety of things such as martial arts, advanced encryption, 14 different languages and, in Sophomore year, they start Covert Operations (field work, etc.).

Sounds hard? Well Cammie, her good friends Bex and Liz and their new roommate Macey have to learn spy stuff every day in school. Whilst being pretty secluded inside their ivy-covered walls.

On their first Covert Operations Mission, Cammie, who is called The Chameleon at school (which is actually a compliment if you go to spy school - perhaps not so much at a normal high school), is spotted by a normal boy, Josh, who goes to Roseville High School. However, Cammie isn't experienced with boys, and what with her being a spy in training, how is she going to be able to balance her relationship with him whilst doing well at spy school?

As the blurb says: Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, and track him through a mall without him ever being the wiser, but can she have a normal relationship with a boy who can never know the truth about her?

I thought this book was very well written! I really liked the fact that it was based around teenage (they are 15 or 16 year olds, I think) spies, as books and films about spies usually entertain me a lot if they are well done! And the fact that they are teenagers means I can easily relate to them and it makes it more realistic (if you can be realistic in a book about spies). The relationship between Josh and Cammie is pretty realistic too, as most YA books have relationships which aren't true to real life, except whilst reading this I felt it was a pretty normal relationship you could have (apart from the fact that she is a spy, but yeah xD) if you are a teenager.

Overall, I think this book was really interesting and it also had some action in it too. It was well-written and it kept me wanting to find out what happened next. The characters were easy to relate to and I could easily imagine the places the character(s) was/were in with the descriptions.

I really want to find out what happens to Cammie and her friends in the next two novels, Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy, and Don't Judge a Girl by her Cover, the next books in the series.

Rating - 5 Stars

I have given IWTYILYBTIWHTKY 5 Stars as even though some parts were quite cliche (as it is hard to not be cliche in YA novels now) the book really impressed me when it was original and I think it deserves 5 Stars!

Gallagher Girls: 01: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You