5.0 out of 5 stars Made me cry....
I bought this book after reading so many good reviews on this site. I couldn't even get through it without crying!!! That may have been an over-reaction but it really is a wonderful story and the illustrations are beautiful. Definitely my favourite book in my daughter's collection (and let's face it, it's just as important for the parents to love the kid's books as...
Published on 20 Feb 2008 by Mrs. Billi Street

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find any love for this book
Something about this book rubs me up the wrong way. The illustrations are great but both my wife and I feel sad and disappointed at the end of the book. Our son enjoys it, so I guess that's what matters. The text is a little stilted and repetitive ("I am dancing, yes I'm dancing, I am dancing", Gerald cried. - Yeah, we get it, you're dancing, well done.). But I feel the...
Published on 7 Nov 2011 by C. O'Neill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 418 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Strictly come dancing.......but......play a different tune!, 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Superb book from Giles Andreae which subtly points out that we can do something if we really want to - it might just need a different approach!
Brilliantly illustrated throughout in vibrant 'jungle' colours, by Guy Parker-Rees.

Attractive paperback covers opens to 32 high quality shiny pages, in 2-page spread format.
The text is clear and easy-to-follow, and enhanced at the turning point of this story, FOR EFFECT!

Great for narrating - the flowing rhyming text is easy to encourage the important 'all-join-in', and being a larger paperback, measuring in around 23.75 cm x 29.25 cm, it is clearly visible from the 'back of the pack', as we call it in our little reading corner!

The rhyme begins with a description of Gerald the Giraffe and what he is at good at, i.e. standing tall and munching lofty shoots. However those long legs are not the best for chasing after butterflies.....or dancing at the 'Jungle Annual'!

The atmospheric illustrations are packed with finer detail promoting extra 'look and see' games, counting, name the different sorts of animals, the various dances......and the facial expressions are key - so typically human - from the sadness/happiness of dawning realisation, the determined preoccupation of the 'dancers' and the hilarity of most!

Gerald is really sad because he can't dance:-

* he can't waltz, he can't rock 'n' roll, he can't tango, he can't cha-cha.....and he certainly can't Scottish reel!

But he goes onto the dance floor, anyway - and off again!

He starts to walk home all alone.....but......in a little clearing under the moonlight sky, he meets something which makes him stop and encourage him to look at everything from a different perspective:-

'Listen to the swaying grass
And listen to the trees,
To me the sweetest music
Is those branches in the breeze.

So imagine that that lovely moon
Is playing just for you,
Everything makes music
If you really want it to......'

And Gerald does.........and as all the animals happen by, one-by-one, they see an amazing sight - this particular giraffe can dance, after all!

Beautiful, and happy ever after!

Also available as a Giraffes Can't Dance Gift Set, with your very own Gerald!

Also worth a look, by the same duo - The Chimpanzees of Happytown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, funny and great pictures, 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
This is our favourite bedtime book at the moment, because it's new I guess, but normally it takes my just 2 year old daughter a couple of readings to get used to a new book, but this was an instant success, I love reading it for her too, which is important when you are on your hundredth time of reading. This is almost in the same league as "Room on the Broom" and "The monkey with the bright blue bottom" both of which are the best 2 books we have bought so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with colourful illustrations and great Hugh Laurie CD, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Magical book with a great story encouraging you to try things you think you can't do.

CD is great with lovely music and great reading by Hug Laurie

Usefully the CD repeats the story and follows a nice pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars so much fun, 24 May 2010
J. Southern (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Brilliant book, fun to read and kids always seem to enjoy the rhythym of the story. A nice message underlying too. Definitely my fav kids book.

Agewise I would say from about 18 months they enjoy the very bright pictures and the rhyme, and then by 3 they understand the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars giraffes can't dance, 4 May 2010
Mrs. J. M. Bunn (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
My Granddaughters love this story it is fun and has a good moral that youngster can understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect read, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
I already knew this story before purchasing this for my two year old nephew as part of his Christmas present.

I discovered this emotional story about Gerald the Giraffe when my now 12 year old son was about the same age. It was a firm favourite at bedtime for months and months! He still remembers the story and was delighted to read it to his cousin on Christmas Day.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am dancing!, 29 Jan 2010
J. Lancaster "josiemabel" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
This was bought as a present for my daughter. Can't believe that I didn't know about it before this but, as a lover of quality children's books, this is fantastic. A true joy to read, the words dance out and it has a lovely message to share. Don't hesitate in buying this!

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing story with good pictures., 4 Jan 2010
A. Kirk (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Who hasn't secretly laughes at giraffes they do seem such strange creatures and this book builds on that notion - the child(ren) you read this with will feel comfortable firstly laughing at the giraffe, and then with it as it starts to learn about itself. A fun read, but also a good basis on which to talk with small children about individuality and how it is alright to be different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book..., 15 Sep 2009
Mrs. N. A. Greene "Nicki G" (Orpington, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Both me and my 10 month old son love this book. He loves the bright pictures and the lovely rhyming story is perfect for bedtime. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for children, buy it., 24 Aug 2009
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Got this after I was looking for a book for my daughter. I did not want to get her the usual TV annuals or stupid book, and after reading the other reviews, decided on this book as Amazon are selling it at a great low price.

What a fantastic reading book for the children. The moral of the story is that everyone is different and we all have a different talent. The great reading and the brilliant illustrations make this a book for any great collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 418 | Next ›

Giraffes Can't Dance
Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae (Paperback - 7 Jan 2010)
Used & New from: 0.01