5.0 out of 5 stars "Don't judge a book by it's cover????"
Another wonderful book from Giles Andreae. The other animals laugh at Gerald the Girafe because gangly "Girafes can't Dance" but Gerald learns from an unusual source that he can dance wonderfully when he can hear his own music. A real treaure that teaches children and adults alike that appearances can be deceptive and we must look past the cover. Look past this books...
Published on 15 Mar 2003 by Paula Knott

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find any love for this book
Published on 7 Nov 2011 by C. O'Neill

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars We all dance to a different beat, 24 Jan 2008
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Giles Andreae is the respectable side of Purple Ronnie, so it is no surprise that this poetry is an instant hit with pre-schoolers. My daughter already has Commotion in Ocean and Rumble in the Jungle (our copies came with a Hugh Laurie CD), so this is another sure fire winner. The illustrations are lush and warm, the story is one of triumph of self-doubt, and it is neither too long nor too short.

A welcome addition to the story shelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find any love for this book, 7 Nov 2011
C. O'Neill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Something about this book rubs me up the wrong way. The illustrations are great but both my wife and I feel sad and disappointed at the end of the book. Our son enjoys it, so I guess that's what matters. The text is a little stilted and repetitive ("I am dancing, yes I'm dancing, I am dancing", Gerald cried. - Yeah, we get it, you're dancing, well done.). But I feel the book is sending out the wrong message. It finally dawned on me last night what it is that bothers me, and it's this:
The giraffe never says that he would ever like to, or would love to dance. He simply goes along to a jungle dance and is mocked and taunted by everyone there. So he leaves, saddened, but with the help of a cricket learns how to dance, and then gains praise from those who made fun of him. This doesn't express a sentiment of individuality, or a celebration of being different. And so what if he can't dance, or is a little clumsy, he may have other talents that make him special and unique. Why try to impress those who mock you?
In the end I feel sad that the giraffe was taunted into proving himself to selfish, thoughtless animals who didn't care that they were hurting his feelings.

But like I said, my 2yr old enjoys it, and his opinion is what matters here!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing story with good pictures., 4 Jan 2010
A. Kirk (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
Who hasn't secretly laughes at giraffes they do seem such strange creatures and this book builds on that notion - the child(ren) you read this with will feel comfortable firstly laughing at the giraffe, and then with it as it starts to learn about itself. A fun read, but also a good basis on which to talk with small children about individuality and how it is alright to be different.

5.0 out of 5 stars That different drummer we all want to listen to, 2 May 2008
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
For me and my child, this book was a treasure. The story of a giraffe who can't dance until he hears his "own" music, this is a great way to teach your child about differences in people, and animals.

The illustrations alone are worth the price, and the words catch the children's ears at once. We all dance to a different drummer and that is basically this book's message.

5.0 out of 5 stars a favourite!, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Board book)
Bought this as a christmas present for a two year old boy to encourage his interest in books. He loves it! it is one of few books that he sits still and listens to throughout. Full of interesting and colourful eye catching pictures that encourage discussion. It reads easily and the words flow well which helps catch the childs attention. Would recommend to any parent/child who enjoys story time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
I found the story original and very attractive indeed. The illustrations are marvellous. My pupils both small and not so small loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
We bought this for our 3-year old boy and all love it. The rhyming text is great - easy to read and flows really well. The pictures are also great and the whole book is really well set out. Our son loves it and regularly pulls this off the shelf to read (along with his other favourite bumpus jumpus dinosaurumpus).

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 16 Feb 2013
My daughter loves this story.
She has another from same author and was so excited when it arrived. A really lovelybstorybto share at bed time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Giraffes Can't Dance, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
It was fun to read to my daughter and to teach her the lessons behind the story. She enjoyed listening

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerald Book!, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Giraffes Can't Dance (Paperback)
I bought this book for my nephew (who is 22 months old) for Christmas and he loves it. Last night his dad was putting him to bed and downstairs all my sister could hear was my nephew shouting GERALD BOOK, GERALD BOOK!

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

Giraffes Can't Dance
Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae (Paperback - 7 Jan 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01