Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Its always good news when a child loves a new book as we all love our kids to read and enjoy it but its always a bonus when you yourself fall in love with a book which both me and my husband did and even nanny !!!
great bright illustrations which really tell the story well, fabulous rhyming story full of laughs and giggles and superbly written, my three year old loved it and we loved it, weve only hyad it a few days but have read it so much its already looking dog eared !
highly recommended
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is excellent. The rhymes are perfect for kids and the illustrations are very good - colourful and fun. Our 6 and 4 year old girls find this book utterly hilarious - and of course are now plaguing their grandmothers to admit they are pirates. Great fun.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I read this to my granddaughter I could see her looking at me and thinking Well why isn't my Granny a pirate but thank goodness she did not ask me...

Simply delightful book and very very funny. Superb illustrations and told in verse so easy to read and the reader and the listener fall into rhythm of the verse:

My granny is a Pirate
She's sailed the seven seas
She captured many pirate ships
But was always home for tea

Loved this and so did my granddaughter - have already had to read it three times in a row and forsee that I will be reading this a lot more in the future. Children love books about adults doing silly things and the sight of Granny and her handbag fighting off all comers is highly entertaining.

Wonderful
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I actually really enjoyed this and found the rhyming style and obviously the story quite good but this book is a little too old for my son yet so I shall put it away in his bookcase for when he's a bit older. I think it was a bit too long for him so he lost a bit of interest but that's more to do with his age than the book. He's also a bit too young to appreciate the rhyming style yet but I think as a little boy he will enjoy it when he is older.

The illustrations are really good and very well drawn, I especially liked the picture of the big gruesome tattooed pirates holding up their hands to the granny pirate! The reverse of the book suggests that this is aimed at two years plus but I think it may possibly be leaning more towards the three years old plus side as I think that age range would appreciate it more. a nicely written and animated book which will definitely be getting pulled back out when my son is a bit older.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One more of a myriad books relating to pirates for early readers and toddlers who enjoy stories of nautical daring do, sailing ships with their jolly rogers flying, swords flashing, treasure chests, parrots, plank walking, sharks, shanties, grog, caves, secret staircases, peg legs, skeletons and other such stalwart ingredients. The rollicking verse is good fun reading for the grown up and easy to recognise words for six year old readers onwards. It is a thinnish book with harum-scarum crazy cartoonish drawings, lilting rhyming limerick style verse that bounces along. Mildly amusing, the caricature grandmother with her thick round glasses, handbag, imperious manner and ability to rapidly change back to her everyday self is a fresh concept. My grand daughter explained that she has read others from the Orchard series, she enjoyed it and clearly the others are memorable too.
on 29 February 2012
This is a beautifully illustrated well presented book with a great story keeping my 2 year old grandson enthralled and my 5 year old granddaughter wanting to read it by herself!! A winner indeed!
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The target age for this book is 2+. I would have thought that is a mistake and it should be 4+ because the cadences of the rhyme will not appeal to the very young and the pictures are somewhat fussy. But my rising 6 year old grandson loved it, and kept wanting, as they do, to return to his favorite pictures, the cannonball and the skeletons! The illustrations are, in my grown up view, fantastic, full of colour and amusement, but the rhymes are very laboured and somewhat repetitive. But he loved the book, even more than the other book that happened to be lying around and which I had preferred over this one, Pirate Gran by Geraldine Durrant and illustrated by Rose Forshall. But he knows what he liked and My Granny is a Pirate did it for him.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a large format, almost square and quite slim book - and very appealing it is too. The illustrations are lively, subtly colourful and very characterful. The story is charming and humorous; meaningful rhyming poetry that reads very well and captivates a young audience. The font for the text is well chosen, is clear, easily read and sits well on the page with the illustrations.

This is both a pleasure for reader and audience.
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This 10 x 11 inch softcover book written by Val McDermid and illustrated by Arthur Robins, is a little cracker! The story is narrated by 'Granny's' grandson in poetic form and tells the tale of her pirating adventures, in a fast and jolly-romping way. The illustrations are quivery and very colourful!

Any child would love this and adults will, too. Great sense of humour throughout.
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I heard that Val McDermid was going to be writing children's books I was surprised - most people associate the name Val McDermid with crime novels, a genre far away from children's books. When I was offered the chance to review her book, I jumped at the chance.

THe book is written in rhyme and is all about a Granny who has a secret, she is a pirate! The story is quite slow at the start but towards the end the story gathers a little pace. It is a story that I am sure children will be reciting of their favourite parts after listening or reading the story a few times.

The illustrations that accompany the story are great. They capture alot of the rhyme and also capture the mischievousness of Granny.

I would recommend this book for slightly older children (5+) because I think the story is aimed more for them. It would be a great gift for any pirate loving children.