5.0 out of 5 stars Love this
This is excellent. The rhymes are perfect for kids and the illustrations are very good - colourful and fun. Our 6 and 4 year old girls find this book utterly hilarious - and of course are now plaguing their grandmothers to admit they are pirates. Great fun.
Published 20 months ago by n7misc

3.0 out of 5 stars My Granny Is A Pirate
My Granny Is A Pirate is okay, and I'm sure many children will enjoy it and their parents will like reading it. It's jolly, humorous, and has amusing illustrations. I'm not sure that there is enough here, though, to capture the interest or delight of children or their parents (it hasn't yet in our household).

The story doesn't quite have the clever twists and...
Published 20 months ago by antom

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 17 Aug 2012
n7misc (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

5.0 out of 5 stars love love loved it, 26 July 2012
E. Ramshaw - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Its always good news when a child loves a new book as we all love our kids to read and enjoy it but its always a bonus when you yourself fall in love with a book which both me and my husband did and even nanny !!!
great bright illustrations which really tell the story well, fabulous rhyming story full of laughs and giggles and superbly written, my three year old loved it and we loved it, weve only hyad it a few days but have read it so much its already looking dog eared !
highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Winner!, 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: My Granny Is a Pirate (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully illustrated well presented book with a great story keeping my 2 year old grandson enthralled and my 5 year old granddaughter wanting to read it by herself!! A winner indeed!

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, 10 Aug 2012
Mr. Pj Williams (cardiff uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
lets not kid ourselves, this is not a page turner. I base my reveiw on teh childs reaction to it and not my own feelings. grannies exploits as a pirate aside I had a mixed reaction from the nephews, it didnt have the same hold as teh gruffolo. also its a bit samey and to be honest I wasnt getting into it like the latter and as such probably effected my delivery. not one I will be getting out again for a while but worth it for a change

4.0 out of 5 stars My wife's a Granny Pirate!, 6 Aug 2012
Michael Ward (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The target age for this book is 2+. I would have thought that is a mistake and it should be 4+ because the cadences of the rhyme will not appeal to the very young and the pictures are somewhat fussy. But my rising 6 year old grandson loved it, and kept wanting, as they do, to return to his favorite pictures, the cannonball and the skeletons! The illustrations are, in my grown up view, fantastic, full of colour and amusement, but the rhymes are very laboured and somewhat repetitive. But he loved the book, even more than the other book that happened to be lying around and which I had preferred over this one, Pirate Gran by Geraldine Durrant and illustrated by Rose Forshall. But he knows what he liked and My Granny is a Pirate did it for him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiver me timbers ! Granny is a secret pirate!!, 1 Aug 2012
BusyReader "mrs28" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent well rhymed book which will appeal to all the over two's.
It has bright busy pictures and a great rhyming tale about the family secret : Granny is a Pirate and has a parrot and a dog and a bag full of treasure.
The first reading to the 3 year old niece earlier went down a storm!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 31 July 2012
Mr. Gareth I. Davies "giddig" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really funny rhyming story/poem. It spends most of the book explaining granny's pirate exploits and all is accompanied by great artwork that really makes the most of the granny/pirate character. If the author and artist were to write more in this way we would happily leap at getting them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and characterful, 31 July 2012
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a large format, almost square and quite slim book - and very appealing it is too. The illustrations are lively, subtly colourful and very characterful. The story is charming and humorous; meaningful rhyming poetry that reads very well and captivates a young audience. The font for the text is well chosen, is clear, easily read and sits well on the page with the illustrations.

This is both a pleasure for reader and audience.

3.0 out of 5 stars My Granny Is A Pirate, 30 July 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The story doesn't quite have the clever twists and insights shown in stories from authors such as Julia Donaldson, Jill Murphy and Cressida Cowell, who, let's face it, have set the bar for children's stories very high (Donaldson's Jack and the Flumflum Tree is the current favourite for our house, and it's words, rhymes and pace make it a fantastic book to read aloud). I found the metre and rhyming in My Granny Is A Pirate occasionally tricky and slightly repetitive; for example pirate dog and pirate grog are rhymed twice; and there is quite a lot of repetition telling us the secret that Granny is a pirate. Towards the end of the story we are once again reminded that:

Yes Granny is a pirate!
I'm telling you it's true!
And if I keep her secret
(she's promised, if I keep it)
Yes, if I keep her secret
I can be a pirate too

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising new pirate personality, 30 July 2012
Mrs. Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One more of a myriad books relating to pirates for early readers and toddlers who enjoy stories of nautical daring do, sailing ships with their jolly rogers flying, swords flashing, treasure chests, parrots, plank walking, sharks, shanties, grog, caves, secret staircases, peg legs, skeletons and other such stalwart ingredients. The rollicking verse is good fun reading for the grown up and easy to recognise words for six year old readers onwards. It is a thinnish book with harum-scarum crazy cartoonish drawings, lilting rhyming limerick style verse that bounces along. Mildly amusing, the caricature grandmother with her thick round glasses, handbag, imperious manner and ability to rapidly change back to her everyday self is a fresh concept. My grand daughter explained that she has read others from the Orchard series, she enjoyed it and clearly the others are memorable too.

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)

My Granny Is a Pirate
My Granny Is a Pirate by Val Mcdermid (Paperback - 5 July 2012)
4.00