Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 16 March 2008
Saw this on the shelf in the bookshop with its bright and cheerful cover, and couldn't leave it behind. It's a smashing story, with the great combination of Andreae's rhyming text and Parker-Rees bright fun illustrations and all three of my children (aged 2-6) were taken with it immediately. At the beginning, chimpanzees trudge through a grey town and then a cheerful chimp, Chutney, arrives with his brightly coloured umbrella and plants a seed which grows bigger and more colourful with love and care. Although the mayor is against it, led by Chutney, the town also blossoms into a more beautiful fun-filled place. My children particularly love the page showing the new children's playground with the banana roundabout and the watermelon bouncy mat, and the following picture of a chimpanzee street carnival. This is a great book, beautiful to look at, a lovely story and an underlying message for the parent who reads it about allowing your little chimpanzee the freedom to blossom. Giraffes Can't Dance by the same talented pair was an absolute classic and I think this one pretty much matches up.
on 10 October 2010
This is an absolutely wonderful story of optimism and positivity. It is all in rhyme which the kids adore. It is very humourous and the illustrations are great. There is so much detail in them and you notice something different every time. My children, literally want to live in the story, they love the rocket ship and banana slide especially. My daughter (5yrs) knows the words by heart and my son (3yrs) is learning them. We bought it as we had borrowed it from the library repeatedly. I would recommend this for children from the age of 2yrs upward.
on 30 July 2007
My 3 1/2 year old loves this book so much. And even after many many repeated reads, I enjoy reading it with him. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous and full of many things to discover and explore. The story is funny and uplifting, and the rhymes are pleasing rather than painful. After countless reads, I am still noticing new things in the pictures. I recommend this book heartily to all parents of 3-4 year olds. We have several books by the same author and this one is the clear favourite (for us both).
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2006
on 15 September 2009
My four year old daughter loves books, and although she is still learning to read, saw this and pleaded with me to buy it for her - I'm so glad I did ! The words are well scripted and flow nicely from the page. After just one read she was hooked and after four reads, my daughter had remembered all the words !! That is not to say it is worthless after this point as its beautifully coloured illustrations are enough to warrant the price, which was cheaper than a certain well known High Street vendor who let me down badly on delivery (Amazon delivered in three days, the High Street vendor took six weeks !!!).

If you are looking for a book to add to your child's collection or indeed as a gift for another, then I would not hesitate in recommending this to you !!
on 30 January 2010
I love this book, as do my boys (3 and 5 years). It has a serious message wrapped in a heartwarming and happy tale. The illustrations are fantastic with wonderful colours. The fruit playground being an everlasting favourite. I rank this as one of the best children's books for the 3-6 year old age group, together with the wonderful "Giraffes Can't Dance" by the same author and illustrator.
on 1 November 2015
Lovely story about a community that are encouraged to conform until a friendly and creative chimpanzee encourages them to break free from their metaphorical chains. Very good for teaching young children (ages 3-7) about equality and diversity. Warm, rhythmic verse. Not too long so suiotable for bedtime or conversations about rights at school/nursery.
on 27 March 2009
This book has a beautiful message and great colouful pictures. My 2 year old loves it
on 5 February 2011
How do you explain to your young child what is going on in the world and why a nation's people rise up in protest? This book does just that. Chutney literally plants a seed that changes a whole society. The book is delightful, from cover to cover. I will be buying copies for friend's children when birthday time comes round again.
on 5 October 2013
I absolutely love this book which I bought to share with the pre-school aged children I work with. It really got them thinking about the importance of the environment as well as being a great story with lovely illustrations. Fans of Julia Donaldson should try this rhyming story. Definitely one of my (and the children's) favourites!