5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me up till 2am..., 10 Jan 2010
Juliet C. Bell "J Clare Bell" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
I hardly ever finish a novel these days but this one had me up till 2am to find out things turned out at the end.

Charlie has been left almost to fend for herself in the cold unwelcoming castle after the mysterious disappearance of her mother, the Queen, and the increasingly bizarre behaviour of her father, the King. There are other adults around but it's not an easy job to decide which of them can be trusted and which can't. Charlie is determined to find out what happened to her mother, even if it puts her own life in real danger.

Although the main character, Charlie, is a girl, the book will appeal to boys, too, with a great secondary character, Tobias, and filled with lots of action that's slightly unusual as it's set in an alternative Victorian setting. Great for children (and adults!) who like mysteries, trying to work out who to trust and who not to, and for anyone that loves a really good story.

I'm ordering another three copies for my nieces and nephews...

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved This Book!, 12 Jan 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
It was really good and I really enjoyed reading it. I couldn't stop until I had finished reading it.
I liked Charlie a lot and the end was so good.
I cant wait for the next one!
By Lydia, age 9 years

5.0 out of 5 stars Castle of Shadows, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book set in a fantastic kingdom. Every nook and cranny of Charlie's world is filled with shadowy secrets, and not everyone is quite what they seem. The characters are intriguing, and the setting of Quale Castle is so well-described that I could imagine everything very clearly. I loved the confused king, the sharp-witted prime minister, and the defiant, brave Charlie herself. The plot is full of clever twists and it keeps you guessing all the way through. As Charlie tears through adventure after adventure, the ever-increasing danger, political intrigue and threats feel very real, as well as being brilliant, nail-biting fun.

Castle of Shadows will be a huge hit with fans of mysterious, absorbing and action-packed novels aimed at readers aged 9+.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for boys or girls!, 27 Dec 2009
Lynne Benton (Bath, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book - fast paced and very exciting, eminently suitable for any child who enjoys solving mysteries. What happened to Charlie's mother? Why is her father behaving so oddly? And, most important of all, who can be trusted? Set in an imaginary alternative Victorian world, the story is told in language that manages to be both simple and gloriously evocative. A fantastic read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Find, 27 Mar 2010
S. Flower (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
As a primary teacher, I'm always on the look out for something new and exciting - and I've found it! I could not put down this fantastic read - and I really didn't know who to trust. The characters are fabulous, the setting is perfect and there is nothing "girly" about the quest of the brave Princess. I'm just sorry that the second instalment is not out until the summer. My kids will be using it in class soon and are in for a real treat. So buy it, enjoy it, and spread the word - this is an experience which you can't afford to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars A princess with a difference, 27 Jan 2010
ML Jensen (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It was exciting with a strong and unusual heroine, in a fantasy world that had a real historical flavour. For all those girls who'd love to be a princess and live in a castle - you might not be brave enough to take on this princess' life. She has a batty dad, a vanished mum and a whole host of dangerous and unpleasant people running her kingdom. But luckily she also has a friend, and bags of courage.
I loved this because it was a good, old-fashioned adventure story/fairy tale (not in sloppy Disney sense), and I was kept guessing all the way through about some of the characters' motivation.
I'd recommend this to 9-12 girls and anyone else who loves kids' books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Castle of shadows, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Castle of Shadows was such an amazing book. As soon as I picked it up and started reading I couldn't put it down. When you read Castle of Shadows you feel like you are there in the action and when I read it I felt a bit emotional in parts. Castle of Shadows is a gripping book from beginning to end I would definitely read it again. So why don't you tryit.

5.0 out of 5 stars age not important, 4 Feb 2010
Ruth N. Cohen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
This book is described as being for children so I must be a child at heart! At more than 50 years older than the recommended age range I found Castle of Shadows thrilling and clever and beautifully written. The characters are well written, some quite unforgettable, and so well described that I can picture them. The story has many twists and turns yet you don't get lost in them because it is so well thought through. Can't wait for the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
I sat down to have a quick read of this before passing it on to a ten-year old - and found myself completely hooked. It's a breathlessly exciting, full-blooded adventure story with a rich cast of characters. As the pages turn in the wake of the tempestuous Charlie, the plot has as many twists and turns as the dark passages of the castle itself. The book is beautifully written, conjuring up vivid pictures of the mad king's castle of cards, the housekeeper's rustling bombazine, the mean streets of the city... The drama is shot through with intriguing scientific snippets, such as the workings of a pneumatic railway, and some teasing questions about politics and power, making this a book that can be enjoyed at many levels, by girls and boys, and by adults too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book., 4 Mar 2010
This review is from: Castle of Shadows (Paperback)
I bought this book to read with my kids, but carried on reading it after they had gone to bed, and finished it the first night. The characters are brilliantly portrayed - even minor characters like Maria, 'the fist's owner', grab your attention. And the story keeps you gripped right until the end with all its twists and turns.

It's also wonderfully written with some great descriptive phrases. I particularly loved Charlie's transformation into a princess: 'the dress was made of silk the colour of cool water. Inside it, Charlie sweated beneath three petticoats and a crinoline that scratched whenever she moved.' Brilliant.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to anyone, old or young. A great read!

Castle of Shadows
Castle of Shadows by Ellen Renner (Paperback - 7 Jan 2010)
5.15