5.0 out of 5 stars Snoggin' Fantastic!
OMG! What can I say? This book was absolutely the best 2 nights I've spent in bed recently! Meg Cabot is right when she affirms: "It's a delicious treat you'll want to eat up in a single bite!".
Published on 23 April 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Della Says Omg
I thought it was okay. It was simply written which is understandable as it is aimed at a younger audience than my age. It was a good story line but I thought so much more could have been done with it. It seemed to be building up to an exciting twist but the ending was a total let down. I would say it is worth a read but not one I will be keeping on the bookshelf.
Published on 20 Dec 2010 by Katelyn Andrews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Snoggin' Fantastic!, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
The eponymous Della is a wonderfully rounded, engaging, believable girl with all the dreams and anxieties that accompany any teenager. With her liberal-minded parents (her Dad is a scream) and her older sister jetting off to the States, Della is delighted when the gorgeous Dan, whom she has lusted after since he gave her some crayons aged four, finally asks her out.

But that's when the madness starts. During her sister's going away party - somewhere between the bit where her sister's boyfriend sticks his tongue down her throat, and the bit when she decides to kiss Dan for the first time, Della's Diary goes missing. And even though she's now got the delightful Dan to take her mind off of it's whereabouts, it's not until pages... extremely embarrassing pages... of it start turning up on Facebook and other places that she really begins to worry who's got it. And why. And she starts to doubt everyone. Even her best friend, Maddy and the perfectly wonderful Dan.

"Della Says: OMG!" Is a rollercoaster ride from start to end. I seriously didn't want it to finish. The writing is sparkling, upbeat, very, very funny and the conversations between the characters is just so convincing it makes you want to read them over and over again and wish you were right there with them.

Keris Stainton is a name to watch out for - a bright, new voice in teenage fiction and if you like your characters believable, familiar and refreshingly honest, then you HAVE to read "Della Says:OMG!" You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love books i can relate to , and this definatly won the prize!, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Kindle Edition)
im going on holiday and got this book for reading when i was sitting on the beach, but by reading peoples reviews it was calling my name! im 14 but very mature for my age, and this book was so perfect - im not the type of girl you expect to be a bookworm but its books like these where i forget i even have a facebook account and spend my whole nights in my room reading.
The book explained every dirty detail that most teenage girls are asking themselves, and it was so cute to imagine Della and Dan! the book sounds like its written by a teenage girl , which i love cause im always looking for books that i can relate to.
One of my favourite books, definatly worth reading, read it in 2 nights easily, you'll regret it alot of you dont buy this now!! X

4.0 out of 5 stars Della Says: OMG!, 26 May 2010
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
Della Says: OMG! is the debut novel from author Keris Stainton, and is a great addition to UK teen fiction. It focuses on Della, a likeable, realistic teenager whose personal diary is stolen from right under her nose. When excerpts from said diary start showing up on Facebook and other public places, she does what everyone in that situation would do: panics.

I enjoyed Della Says: OMG!, and I particularly liked the budding romance between Della and Dan. First relationships can be a scary thing, with so much to worry about, and so much that can go wrong. Stainton shows every side to teen life, and has perfectly captured the mindset of a teenage girl. Readers will realise they're not along when it comes to boyfriend anxiety, and that can only be a blessing in disguise.

I would have liked the book to be a little longer, and for there to be more emphasis on the missing diary. I felt like that plot got slightly overlooked, and I would have loved to see more embarrassing excerpts. I also thought Della figured out who the thief was too easily, though I understand why it played out that way.

Overall, Della Says: OMG! is a fun, light read with some serious stuff thrown in for good measure. Growing up is a hard time in anyone's life, and what makes this book so good is the realisation that Stainton still remembers what those rollercoaster teen years are like. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next, and I think she's definitely a writer to watch!

3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect summer read, 27 April 2010
T. Murray (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
A thoroughly enjoyable story about everyone's worst nightmare - your innermost thoughts and dreams out there for the world to see. Della is a very likeable heroine and I felt for her as her diary was revealed piece by piece in the most excruciating way possible. Her relationship with Dan was sweetly portrayed and had me remembering my own first boyfriends. Keris Stainton doesn't shy away from the more intimate side of Della's blossoming feelings for Dan and I think this makes the book much stronger. The ending was a real surprise but fitted the storyline.

I really recommend this - a perfect summer read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Witty and Utterly Snogtastic!, 20 April 2010
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
The concept of this book really appealed to me. I have been writing in diaries since I was 11 years old, and one of my worst nightmares is that somebody might find and read them. The thought that they may be put onto the internet or shared with anyone else gives me the complete heebie jeebies! For such a thing to happen to the protagonist, Della, immediately keeps you turning the page to see whether she can retrieve her diary and all of its secrets.

I thought this book was wonderful. Keris has a real skill of writing three dimensional characters; the kind of people you would like to exist in real life, and perhaps be friends with. Della was no exception. A lovely, smart, funny teenager dealing with the ups and downs of life as an adolescent. Her thoughts and feelings on life and the events happening around her were so well observed and very realistic. A perfect narrator.

The supporting cast were colourful and a joy to read. I especially loved Della's parents, who - far from being the kind of 'parenty' parents you may expect in a teenage novel - were very cool.

In-between searching for the missing diary, Della is enjoying a burgeoning romance with her long term crush - Dan. I think that this plot was my favourite of the whole book. For a start Dan was absolutely delicious. I was worried about just how delicious I found him (you know, with him being a teenager and all), but have been re-assured by others who have read this book, that this is completely normal. In reading this, expect to get a crush on Dan. It's inevitable.

The kissing scenes between Della and Dan brought on a touch of nostalgia. They snog and snog and snog some more. Kind of made me want to be a teen again, when kissing for HOURS was the most exciting way to spend your time.

I found this book refreshingly real, well written, witty and atmospheric. I highly recommend it and can't wait to see what Keris offers us next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Snappy!, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
Great read and totally tapped into teenage fears and insecurities. I felt like I was 17 again reading this novel! Sparkly dialogue, contemporary and utterly engaging. I liked the ensemble cast of characters and the happy ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really sweet novel!, 22 Mar 2011
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
I have had this book sitting on my TBR pile for such a long time, and I really regret not picking it up sooner. Della Says: OMG! Is such a sweet novel!

It's completely believeable, it's a situation any teenager who keeps a diary would die over. You can't help but feel for Della when she realises her diary is gone and excerpts start appearing - especially considering the type of entries that show up. Not only are they personal, but they are likely to cause friction between her and the people in her life, because of things written in anger or changing situations. In some ways, it reminded me of Good Girls by Laura Ruby - although the plots are slightly different, they both involve humiliation through the sharing of things that should have be kept private through new technology. I had the same jaw-dropping reaction to both over how mean people can be.

Although it was pretty bad, I found that Della's relationship with Dan, and the sub-plot of her best friend Maddy's own relationship problems, to be what I was interested in most. Was Dan really genuine? What was Maddy going to do? I think this book really says something about relationships, how the most unlikely of relationships might not be as rocky as you'd assume, and how the strongest of relationships might not be as strong as you think.

There are funny moments, sad moments, and moments of extreme embarrassment, but what I love is the change that came over Della as the story progressed. From the unsure, self-concious girl, to the one who is a lot more confident, Della's story really is wonderful to read. My only negative is that I felt it ended quite abruptly, but overall it was a really sweet, lovely quick read. It would be great for summer reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smart, Funny Read, 7 July 2010
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
What a great concept! Can you imagine your diary disappearing, only to appear on Facebook?

But for me the real strength of this book is Della. She's a smart, forthright teenager I couldn't help but connect with -- and giggle along with some of her discoveries (like when she finds out men have nipples, too!). She deals with all the ups and downs of adolescence, but not in the whingy way that has turned me off some YA protagonists. I loved seeing her relationship with Dan develop and grow despite the difficulties they faced. I wish I had a Dan growing up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Summer Read, 4 July 2010
Book Angel Emma (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
I started reading this book while sat in my garden on Saturday evening, the girlies were riding their bikes in the drive and all was peaceful with the household. I LOL'd from the very beginning of this book, in fact I snorted with laughter so much that the neighbours now think we have a pet pig *snort*

As you would expect from the title this is in first person narrative; Della is so wonderfully 3 dimensional I imagined this would be my oldest daughter in a few years time *HELP*. At 16 Della has the usual angst regarding sexuality, body image and family/friendships. All dealt with in a frank yet humorous manner that makes it so easy to relate to.

Having been a teenager in the 80's myself I found the 80's reference amazing bringing the story to vivid life within my imagination (the down side of this was that it made me roughly the same age as her parents *feels old*). The writing is typically British with the reference to the trip to the seaside and fish & chips. Truly realistic imagery.

I adored Della's parents and am now creating a role-model plan to follow in order to be like them ;) Anyone fancy a movie & meal theme night?

All the characters were superbly well developed and there interactions completely believable. I was concerned about the relationship between Sid, Leo and Maddy. Odd to say the least!(Re: the sharing) Plus the early sexual activity (yes I know it happens, I may be old but I was a teenager once and that's the problem *has 3 girls*). I completely adored Dan, he certainly is The Man. A completely 'modern man' at that. Who wouldnt want a boyfriend that is in touch with his feelings and helps you believe in yourself and be comfortable with who you are. Can I have one please : D

Throw in a bit of a mystery plus a plot twist and you have a truly great Summer read. Go and enjoy : D

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG doesnt even come close!, 28 April 2010
Amazon Customer (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Della says: OMG! (Paperback)
A fantastic whodunnit story, that stays away from the 'Nancy Drew' side of investigating, and instead shows the emotions of a teenage girl who is having the best and worst times of her life playing out side by side.

As other reviewers mention, this delightful story made me laugh, worry for the characters, and reminisce about my own teenage years, including that first kiss..... Such a wonderful insight to teenage life, with an engrosing story that I simply could not put down. Refreshing, honest, intelligent, hilarious, I loved it!

Keris Stainton has shot straight to the top of my fav authors, and I really look forward to seeing what treat she has for us next!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Della says: OMG!
Della says: OMG! by Keris Stainton (Paperback - 6 May 2010)
5.99