Published on 5 Nov 2009 by Naikeri Z

3.0 out of 5 stars The least enjoyable of the three
My daughter loves all things Emily Brown and after the "rabbit" adventure (I would give this 5 stars) and the "thing" (4 stars, maybe) we purchased this for her. I have to say she looked at me after having finished reading it to her as if to say "What??? That's it????" Compared to the other two books this one is a bit lame and not very funny actually. Buy the other two...
Published on 16 April 2012 by Triene

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How about having Emily being the one with the annoying problem next time?, 5 Nov 2009
By this time (i.e. reading the third installment of the Emily Brown adventures if you've read the previous ones) you may feel that the trick has been done one time too many. It has the same story skeleton, the same structure, the same "we've got someone with a problem" scalating through Emily's adventures premise, substitute the RAT-A-TAT with a R-I-I-I-I-N-G and you'll undoubtedly find the pearl of wisdom from Emily when she reaches the end of her tether. That's "Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency".

Having said that, it's a lovely book, wonderful to read and look at and it offers the possibility of a mini-lesson in geography for young children (great excuse to look up on the map the Zambezi River, Mount Everest, etc). It also has more of the movement and energy filled illustrations by Neil Layton (including two vertical double spreads) that are a perfect match to Cressida Cowell's text.

From the point of view purely of an adult, one of the reasons why I like this series so much is because so many times children show a depth of intelligence and lucidity that we adults have lost through years of conventions and rules, and we cannot enjoy an adventure without being assailed by our compounded fears, worries, guilt, shame... it goes on. Emily Brown is a bit of a reminder that imagination and adventures are to be lived to the full, without constraints of any kind and children are innately programmed to do so, without the usual saboteur popping up to stop them using the sofa as a diving pool... which I just did (!)

I wasn't sure whether to give it 4 or 5 stars. For those who have read the first two stories, it may feel a bit repetitive and much like the same identical formula has been transplanted to a different charater/situation. It doesn't surprise and stun as much anymore, adults and children have by now learned what to expect. But some will read it as a standalone story and it really deserves a 5 star rating if you ignore the other two. We will definitely buy a fourth if there is to be one. It would be interesting to have Emily, for once, being not just the mediator -as she still feels a bit like a peripheral character in some ways- but the one with the 'big problem' and see what she does with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency, 12 Aug 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Emily Brown: Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency (Paperback)
I think the problem with this book is that the first in the Emily Brown series was SO perfect it is hard to live up to. I can't really say that the follow on books have been anywhere near as good as "That rabbit belongs to Emily Brown", but I have to say that my kids have loved all the Emily Brown stories and so I will give it 5 stars. The idea is that Emily Brown and Stanley are out exploring with their friend the elephant. Her mother keeps phoning to spoil the fun, by demanding she cuts playtime short to eat her tea or to put her boots on. OK, so we mothers know we are over protective and we don't need to be continually told we are - we have enough guilt as it is thank you. Finally, of course, it is mummy elephant who needs saving from the demands of the big city and told to go back to the jungle and ditch her mobile phone (well, that advice I could live with...). The ultimate plea is to let your child have more fun and to have fun with them, and it is hard to argue with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency, 15 Oct 2010
Oh I loved this book!!! I have the previous 2 books and all 3 are gems. I enjoy reading them to my 7 year old son and 11 year old daughter, so no age or gender are an issue when reading about Emily Brown and Stanley! Fantastic author and illustrator every time!

5.0 out of 5 stars An instant hit., 4 Sep 2010
My 4 and 2 year old are very well acquainted with Emily Brown and Stanley, loving both of the previous books. This one didn't disappoint and after only reading it once my 4 year old was reciting lines from the story. The format is the same as previous stories, but this one was all the more poignant to us and the other young family we were holidaying with, as Matilda the elephant's mummy is a very busy office worker in the busy busy city.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 4 July 2014
My step daughter reads this over and over so it was a very good buy

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, 1 April 2014
Mrs. X. Li "Jamie" (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
Emily went out with elephant but the elephant mum kept ringing them for something not very emergent. I don't think children understand that, their mother just simply worrying about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the grandchildren happy, 4 Feb 2014
Loved by my two grandchildren. They loved the story and continually read the book. Although now 6 & 7 years old they still read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A dig at working mums everywhere!, 25 Jan 2014
Book Worm (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
The main sentiment will, hopefully, be lost on the little people we read this to but it is basically "Stop being a bad mother who works, and spend more time with your children!" What a shame this isn't always an option as so many of us nowadays need to earn a living to pay the bills, as if we don't already feel guilty enough! Not a very positive way of representing the modern woman to young children. There are plenty of excellent children's stories out there so I would advise avoiding this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 19 Nov 2013
Love this story by a great author, good price would highly recommend, my 6 year old loves it and it humerous

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughter's favourite, 26 July 2013
Granddaughter loves Emily Brown who is a real character. I love reading all Emily Brown stories to her at bedtime although she often likes them repeated before going off to sleep.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Emily Brown: Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency
Emily Brown: Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency by Cressida Cowell (Paperback - 1 July 2010)
5.24