on 26 December 2014
Well, I thought I'm an intermediate user of English...but after I had bought this dictionary, I changed my mind. Too few terms, big letters, a lot of space - but too little knowledge! Collocations are so obvious. I feel really disappointed, I'm going to buy something else, maybe the Oxford's one.
on 22 August 2014
slightly dissapointed -needs to be expanded to include more entries and more collocations! The oxford rival beats it! waiting for futute editions.
on 3 June 2013
I truly love studying and collecting collocations. Also, I love dictionaries which show how to use them and am always ready and willing to buy a new dictionary which provides more examples of words that occur and work together.
In the first place, I need to say that the LCDAT, truly excellent though it is, is not (nor is it intended to be) a fully comprehensive dictionary and its list of entries is not exhaustive. The dictionary is really great and beautiful (let me repeat, great and beautiful!) , and the idea of adding a thesaurus - absolutely marvellous! Yet, I cannot help thinking that it does have a few imperfections which could be very easily removed, corrected or remedied. I think that the most vexatious problem is the conspicuous absence of cross-references to ALL the words contained or included in the dictionary, which would be extremely useful to intended or potential recipients of the dictionary, namely intermediate, upper-intermediate and (almost) advanced learners. To put some substance behind my words, the book contains exquisitely selected numerous examples of collocates (which is absolutely wonderful), yet not sufficiently numerous to satisfy a regular lover of and hunter for collocations. I was somewhat dispirited to find out that quite often only some (not necessarily common) collocates were provided whereas in other cases the collocate was not referenced. For example, under "situation" you will learn that you could "exacerbate" it. But if you want to know what else you can "exacerbate", you will be disappointed as there is no such entry in this dictionary. You could try to reject my argument by saying: You yourself said that it was not supposed to be exhaustive. Yes, the list is not complete or exhaustive, sure enough, it is not to be, but the words that have been so meticulously selected and exemplified as the typical English speaker's vocabulary should be handled more carefully and properly. Of course, it is too late to change the paper version of the dictionary. But I think it is still possible to provide all these kind of collocates and references in the online version at http://collocations.longmandictionariesonline.com/lcdt/collocations. I therefore think the online version of the dictionary should be systematically expanded and regularly updated so that a diligent student of collocations may be able to learn all the words contained in the dictionary with their possible collocations. This would be tremendously helpful and useful and exceedingly persuasive to those who might like to renew their subscription once the current one has expired.