5.0 out of 5 stars I love English collocations!, 3 Jun. 2013
Adam Gajlewicz "Adam Gajlewicz" (WROCLAW Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Longman Collocations Dictionary and Thesaurus Cased with Online (Hardcover)
I truly love studying and collecting collocations. Also, I love dictionaries which show how to use them and am always ready and willing to buy a new dictionary which provides more examples of words that occur and work together.
In the first place, I need to say that the LCDAT, truly excellent though it is, is not (nor is it intended to be) a fully comprehensive dictionary and its list of entries is not exhaustive. The dictionary is really great and beautiful (let me repeat, great and beautiful!) , and the idea of adding a thesaurus - absolutely marvellous! Yet, I cannot help thinking that it does have a few imperfections which could be very easily removed, corrected or remedied. I think that the most vexatious problem is the conspicuous absence of cross-references to ALL the words contained or included in the dictionary, which would be extremely useful to intended or potential recipients of the dictionary, namely intermediate, upper-intermediate and (almost) advanced learners. To put some substance behind my words, the book contains exquisitely selected numerous examples of collocates (which is absolutely wonderful), yet not sufficiently numerous to satisfy a regular lover of and hunter for collocations. I was somewhat dispirited to find out that quite often only some (not necessarily common) collocates were provided whereas in other cases the collocate was not referenced. For example, under "situation" you will learn that you could "exacerbate" it. But if you want to know what else you can "exacerbate", you will be disappointed as there is no such entry in this dictionary. You could try to reject my argument by saying: You yourself said that it was not supposed to be exhaustive. Yes, the list is not complete or exhaustive, sure enough, it is not to be, but the words that have been so meticulously selected and exemplified as the typical English speaker's vocabulary should be handled more carefully and properly. Of course, it is too late to change the paper version of the dictionary. But I think it is still possible to provide all these kind of collocates and references in the online version at http://collocations.longmandictionariesonline.com/lcdt/collocations. I therefore think the online version of the dictionary should be systematically expanded and regularly updated so that a diligent student of collocations may be able to learn all the words contained in the dictionary with their possible collocations. This would be tremendously helpful and useful and exceedingly persuasive to those who might like to renew their subscription once the current one has expired.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent but it lacks a DVD, 27 April 2013
Lorenzo Spagna (Guastalla (RE), Italy) - See all my reviews
I would have given it 5 stars (it deserves them all as a reference book that may be read with as so much pleasure as a novel), but I do not like the fact that no DVD has been included. I must say, however, that Longman has made another wonderful dictionary!

Longman Collocations Dictionary and Thesaurus Cased with Online