Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 November 2011
The study guide came very quickly I ordered it for my son. He was pleased with the guide and found it very well laid out and easy reference for study
on 21 June 2011
I ordered this book for my 15 year old who was about to sit part of his english exam. He found it excellent and very easy to use. Would definately recommend it.
on 28 December 2011
My opinion is that I felt the reviews left me with my hopes too high, hence why I am disappointed...
The good points is the fact that this revision guide manages to covers all the main points like animal imagery, american dream, symbolism, structure - foreshadowing and the form as a 'Play Novelle'
However I didn't think this guide went into the kind of detail I was hoping for, infact the detail is quiet minimal for example some of the important quotes such as when Candy says:
'I should of shot that dog myself' the revision guide just explains Candy's loss and guilt - when infact my English teacher told us that the line STICKS to george because in the end George loves Lennie so much that he wants to be the one to shoot him and end Lennie's misery.

Therefore I think this guide is only to C/B detail, moreover this guide only states the bare basics of what you need to know, so I'd say that if you're looking for high quality work then only buy this guide to jot down references while in class, otherwise it in my opinion is a waste of money - because in the end this guide didn't teach you anything, furthermore, you find yourself back at square one relying on yourself to remember what quotes and elements of the novel mean.
In conclusion its OK depending on what grade and detail you are capable of putting into your work, but I think it would be better to listen in class jot notes, or if your really stuck then I suggest searching on the internet on websites like 'Spark Notes' / or buy another quide just not this one...
22 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2011
Good layout, easy to follow. Appropriate language level for GCSE. Very good outline of the story, the setting and the characters. Recommended.
on 24 October 2012
Bought for my son, who has to studt the book for GCSE. It is good and will get you started, you will need to include more quotes etc to get an a*. The teacher asked him to take the notes into school where she looked through it and 'suggest6ed' to the class that it would be wise to buy a copy. That says it all I think.
on 25 November 2013
My daughter needed this for her English GCSE, she thought it was really useful and helped her a lot. It is the version with the notes on it.
on 18 October 2012
very helpful GCSE book - well set out and appropriate subject areas to be explored. Read alongside the full book it is a good resource in preparing for the final exam.
on 13 June 2012
This notes book was very helpful for my girls' exams. They are both dyslexic and find written text hard to keep up with. However this is written in very clear sections each labelled with headings e.g. Plot, Characters etc (I won't go over them again as these have already been quoted) There are also extra helpful hints and tips from examiners throughout the book. I only wish I had something like this when I did my O level English Lit (many moons ago.)
I can only say if you are doing "Of Mice and Men" for your English Lit exam then BUY THIS BOOK you will find it invaluable. Good luck to all of you!
on 1 July 2011
n excellent aide to all who are using this novel. This product is right on the ball when used for revision. My sgtudents have found it veery beneficial. Highly recommended.
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2016
Bought for my daughter who has her GCSE English exam coming up! I bought the Kindle version as my daughter seems more enthusiastic to read from her IPad than a book! I believe she finds it useful and has started to read through, so that's a step in the right direction! From the bit I read it appears to be a really good revision aid so you can't go wrong and worth the purchase.