5.0 out of 5 stars book review
very helpful GCSE book - well set out and appropriate subject areas to be explored. Read alongside the full book it is a good resource in preparing for the final exam.
Published on 18 Oct. 2012 by susan

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok...
My opinion is that I felt the reviews left me with my hopes too high, hence why I am disappointed...
The good points is the fact that this revision guide manages to covers all the main points like animal imagery, american dream, symbolism, structure - foreshadowing and the form as a 'Play Novelle'
However I didn't think this guide went into the kind of detail I...
Published on 28 Dec. 2011 by L.Earith

5.0 out of 5 stars book review, 18 Oct. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent revision book, 21 Jun. 2011
Susan Potter "suezy" (norfolk, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
I ordered this book for my 15 year old who was about to sit part of his english exam. He found it excellent and very easy to use. Would definately recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok..., 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
However I didn't think this guide went into the kind of detail I was hoping for, infact the detail is quiet minimal for example some of the important quotes such as when Candy says:
'I should of shot that dog myself' the revision guide just explains Candy's loss and guilt - when infact my English teacher told us that the line STICKS to george because in the end George loves Lennie so much that he wants to be the one to shoot him and end Lennie's misery.

Therefore I think this guide is only to C/B detail, moreover this guide only states the bare basics of what you need to know, so I'd say that if you're looking for high quality work then only buy this guide to jot down references while in class, otherwise it in my opinion is a waste of money - because in the end this guide didn't teach you anything, furthermore, you find yourself back at square one relying on yourself to remember what quotes and elements of the novel mean.
In conclusion its OK depending on what grade and detail you are capable of putting into your work, but I think it would be better to listen in class jot notes, or if your really stuck then I suggest searching on the internet on websites like 'Spark Notes' / or buy another quide just not this one...

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
Bought for my son, who has to studt the book for GCSE. It is good and will get you started, you will need to include more quotes etc to get an a*. The teacher asked him to take the notes into school where she looked through it and 'suggest6ed' to the class that it would be wise to buy a copy. That says it all I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value study guide, 4 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
The study guide came very quickly I ordered it for my son. He was pleased with the guide and found it very well laid out and easy reference for study

5.0 out of 5 stars York Notes for GCSE - Of Mice and Men, 8 Oct. 2012
S. Parish - See all my reviews
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
These revision notes are just what you will need to begin writing your controlled assessment. Easy to follow, whether you are writing about themes, characters or plots. Would have liked more about Settings. Plenty of good points that you will be able to use in your essay with guides on how to get your A*. Definitely worth investing in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of mice and men: York Notes, 17 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
Good layout, easy to follow. Appropriate language level for GCSE. Very good outline of the story, the setting and the characters. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
My daughter needed this for her English GCSE, she thought it was really useful and helped her a lot. It is the version with the notes on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars No substitute for reading the text!, 2 Jan. 2013
Jersey Customer (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
As an English teacher I have to knock off one star purely because I cannot condone the use of study guides as a substitute for reading the actual text, but nonetheless study guides do have their use as a reinforcement tool, hence four stars. They are somewhere where all the themes and characters can be explored in summary in one place, and if you want a quick reminder of the plot then you'll get one. However, if you have a dyslexic child, as I do, who finds reading difficult, then a study guide can help them gain confidence in 'getting to know' the text more quickly, leaving them time to read the proper text alongside - at least if they are familiar with the key themes and characters and plot they can join in with classwork more readily, which will help them gain confidence in their knowledge of the text. But I emphasise - there is no substitute for eventually reading the text properly! In terms of quality, this is a good, solid text guide, but it has a very different layout to, say, the CGP notes edition (which I have also reviewed in a similar way) so it's purely a matter of personal choice on the part of the student you are buying it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXTREMELY HELPFUL, 13 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE (Paperback)
This notes book was very helpful for my girls' exams. They are both dyslexic and find written text hard to keep up with. However this is written in very clear sections each labelled with headings e.g. Plot, Characters etc (I won't go over them again as these have already been quoted) There are also extra helpful hints and tips from examiners throughout the book. I only wish I had something like this when I did my O level English Lit (many moons ago.)
I can only say if you are doing "Of Mice and Men" for your English Lit exam then BUY THIS BOOK you will find it invaluable. Good luck to all of you!

Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE
Of Mice and Men: York Notes for GCSE by Dr Martin Stephen (Paperback - 2 July 2010)