on 30 March 2010
I found this book really useful as an insight into what a Law degree would entail, and when I begin my law course this year I am certain that I will refer to it during my study too. Some great advice on preparing yourself for a Law degree, from choosing your univeristies, to reccomending books for you to read, and then how to organise your study once at university. I have bought most of the books that are reccomended in this books and they have also proven very useful in opening my mind and teaching me more about society. This book is so good that after origionally getting it from my local library, I went out and bought it so that I could keep it to refer back to as I progress in my Law career!
on 8 January 2007
This is an excellent introduction to studying law by a very experienced law tutor.
McBride taught at Oxford and was a fellow at All Souls before he moved to Cambridge. His advice is practical and to the point and would benefit any law student. This book would be particularly useful to someone who is studying at Oxford or Cambridge.

Whether it be study techniques, law essay writing, surviving tutorials, making notes or relations with fellow law students, McBride has something useful to say about all of these issues.

Miss a meal or two if you have to, but make sure that you scrape together the modest sum needed to buy this little treasure. You will buy many, many law textbooks during your career in law. But this modest and unassuming book will rank highly among the most useful of them all.

Addendum:
It is over a year since I wrote this review.
I notice that this is one of the most well thumbed books that my law student child brings home every vacation. My recommendation stands. If you are a law student in the UK,and more particularly at Oxford or Cambridge, buy this book. It will save you hours of anxiety.
on 9 June 2011
This is an absolutely amazing book for law students. This is almost like a bible for every law student, you will find yourself keeping it handy from the day you are deciding whether you should do law to the day your law exam results are out. For those who aren't professional, knowing virtually nothing about law, this book helps you to build your basic moral views and understand some basic law principles, most importantly, in English. One of it chapters talks about the LNAT test. I would not recommend to replace a proper LNAT preparation book with this one, however it does in fact gives a good preliminary insight into the LNAT test. If you want to know what it's like to be a law student, this book reveals how much reading and work you will be doing (more or less). For current students, it teaches you how to structure your notes and how to read law too.
on 28 June 2014
Really helpful and useful book actually, very factual therefore hard to read at times yet it allowed me to see whether a law degree was right for me or not and it has actually convinced me along with other things that law is something that I want to venture into. Therefore, I will one day probably owe my life to his book. Apparently, talking to initial law students - it also is a helpful book to aid you along with your course! Brilliant!!
on 13 May 2011
I bought this book really late into my 2nd year at Law school, where I have felt there has been little direction as to what is to be expected of me in order to achieve higher marks.

However, I love the way it is written in letter format, making it really personable and simple reading. It really nips in the bud those real issues that students need help in. I'm currently saturated in the last few chapters as my exams approach and it has been so helpful in terms of prepartion and essay and problem Q writing.

I really do wish I had this before I started my Degree, however now I can go into my 3rd year with assurance of what is expected of me and how to cope.
on 5 October 2013
This book is bang on the mark from the first page. Be sure to read the foreword, acknowledgements etc. as little gems of wisdom are waiting to be found on every page.

I would recommend this book to any student, regardless of whether they are studying or thinking about studying law as the early chapters in particular give good general advice about writing and thinking. The style is easy and honest and it might just persuade you or put you off becoming a law student.
on 1 June 2011
Very rapid delivery - was expecting around a week, got it the next day.
The book itself is outstanding not just for a law student, but anyone who is considering taking up an Arts degree at a prestigious university. Moreover, whilst it seems to be a bit patronising at first, the "email style" format of the chapters is brilliant in answering your questions and concerns specifically, and it reminds you that you're not the only worried law student hopeful in the world!
on 4 January 2013
Book was a present for my daughter who is planning to go to University to study Law later this year. She hasn't put the book down since starting it. She says it has some really good tips for essay writing etc that she will use in upcoming exams.
on 19 September 2013
A must buy for any aspiring Law student! This informative and well written book allows students to see just how one should apply for Law at university with interview advice, recommended background reading and UCAS help, to then describing the key facts required for one studying Law at university and what they can do after receiving their degree. Coloured coded and broken down into key point format this book is one every undergraduate Law student should have amongst their bookshelves!
on 8 October 2013
I loved reading this book; found it to be very insightful and informative. I recommend it to every new Law student as it makes one think if they really want to be in Law or elsewhere.