4.0 out of 5 stars New version of an old friend, 17 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Animal Nutrition (Paperback)
Few students of animal nutrition in the United Kingdom are likely to escape an encounter with this book. Now in its sixth edition it is a superb introduction to the subject for first and second year undergraduates reading animal science, agriculture and related subjects at university. I dare say that it will also be of use to farmers and others who are at the sharp end of animal feeding and wish to get a greater understanding of the underpinning issues. Minor gripes include that it is a little simplistic in places; I did feel that some subjects could have been dealt with more fully without increasing the length of the book too greatly. In addition, as with the last version of the book, the feeds nutrient composition tables at the back of the book still have some values missing; I cannot believe that it is that difficult to get these tables to a state of completion. Finally, the feeding standards for dairy cattle have recently been revamped, but these changes have come too late to be included in this version. These comments notwithstanding, I used an earlier version of this book in my own undergraduate studies, and it is the only book that I recommend to my own students of animal nutrition.

4.0 out of 5 stars animal nutrition review, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: Animal Nutrition (Paperback)
I found this book extremely helpful as my course Animal Science requires me to look at the nutrition of animals in some detail. I basically pick up this book after every lecture to verify my understanding of the material taught. It covers all the different nutrients in food, a brief description of the digestion and into some detail on producing animal diets. Which is something i needed for this course. So for anybody doing a similar animal related course, i would recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Animal Nutrition (Paperback)
I'm at university and this book is great for some of the modules in my course. It is really helpful and easy to follow with some good diagrams to further explain things. However, it is important to bear in mind that it focuses on the nutrition of farm animals. But I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the nutrition of animals.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for people who's interest in animal nutrition goes beyond the classroom, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Animal Nutrition (Paperback)
I am currently studying a foundation degree in animal welfare and management. One of the modules we are studying this semester is animal nutrition. Having done a little bit on this subject with a previous course, and found it very interesting, I decided to purchase this book. I was not diasppointed. The text is clear and easy to follow, and has already helped me so much. The components of food are explained in as much detail as possible it would seem, as well as digestion, metabolism and how you would go about quantifying nutritional value. The book then goes into the nutritional requirements of particular animals during different life stages i.e. when growing, producing etc. For the main part these latter chapters focus on farm animals such as sheep and cattle.
I haven't had the book that long but know already that it will help me with the remainder of my course and possibly my future career. I recommend this book to anyone who is really interested in animal nutrition as a subject, as well as anyone in the farming industry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book and fast delivery, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Animal Nutrition (Paperback)
Good book and fast delivery, it is a good book, technical / reference style specialised book, and a book that would be very difficult to buy in a shop. 5star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Animal Nutrition (Paperback)
My daugter found it useful for her course

Animal Nutrition
Animal Nutrition by Robert Wilkinson (Paperback - 2 Mar 2011)