5.0 out of 5 stars Great read
Filled with heartbreak, humour and charm, Prebble delivers a fresh piece of work and leaves no room for disappointment. Joy to read, would buy again without hesitation.
Published 13 months ago by Sarah Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Book or Play?
I do realise that this is written more as a play than a book, but I don't think it's as good as the story mentioned by the last reviewer (Chemical Attraction) which I have also read. The two stories do seem similar, but I'm not sure The Effect is as funny or even thought provoking as the book.
Published 2 months ago by Percy D

3.0 out of 5 stars Book or Play?, 6 Oct 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 30 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A play with great economy and power, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Effect (Modern Plays) (Paperback)
I saw this at the National with Billy Piper in the lead role. It engaged me from the start using a classic structure with great reflective monologues and a good twist at the end. A intimate tale about love and how little we really understand about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Effect - Lucy Prebble, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Effect (Modern Plays) (Paperback)
Having not seen the play, I was worried that I might end up interpreting this play incorrectly, or not truly understanding the nature of it, but upon reading it, I think the message itself was very clear.

The Effect by Lucy Prebble is a great read, and has some great parts for performing (or so I'd imagine, doing part of it for a monologue myself). I really enjoyed this, and I felt it very easy to understand, even with it being based a lot around science. I managed to get somewhat emotionally invested in these characters, and really cared about what happened to them, and the fact that Prebble has achieved this, is a job well done indeed. Its a shame I did not get to see it performed by Billie Piper and the rest of the cast earlier this year, as I believe it would have been brilliant up on its feet. It is definitely worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds remarkably like another book entitled "Chemical Attraction" by Mike Uden, 5 Oct 2014
Is this theatre production based on another book entitled CHEMICAL ATTRACTION by Mike Uden?

See:

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Effect' is thought-provoking and very well written., 5 Dec 2014
G. Scourfield (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Effect (Modern Plays) (Paperback)
Superb play. Well worth rreading after seeing it at the National with the amazing Jonjo O'neil!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 8 Dec 2012
Shazzabonne (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Effect (Modern Plays) (Paperback)
When you know that the play was written by the playwright with Billy Piper in mind as one of the characters, it certainly gives more depth when reading the play and helps envisage the "action".

Very easy to read and the message is simple and clear. Certainly worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Effect (Modern Plays) (Paperback)
this book was of great quality when it arrived, unfortunately i havent yet had a chance to read it though.

The Effect (Modern Plays)
The Effect (Modern Plays) by Lucy Prebble (Paperback - 9 Nov 2012)