5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully told tale of war-time tragedy
Published 17 months ago by Tracy K

3.0 out of 5 stars But I would still recommend this read to discover what has happened to the ...
a place I know, a tragedy, a event which inspired several authors- This particular story takes it all from the reality. It would be unfair (from a non english native speaker) to criticise the writing, I found it took me a long time to get into the story. But I would still recommend this read to discover what has happened to the population of this village.
Published 1 month ago by Bati

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully told tale of war-time tragedy, 13 May 2013
I read One Day In Oradour in a single sitting this morning and have thought about little else all day. I feel ignorant and slightly ashamed that I'd never heard of Oradour-sur-Glane, or about the horrific events that took place there during World War 2. Now, I won't rest until I've visited the original village, left untouched as a memorial to the 644 men, women and children who lost their lives there on a single day in June 1944.

The victims of Oradour deserve to have their story kept alive and Helen Watts does this magnificently in her mesmeric and powerful narrative. The book's cast of characters (fictional, although many are based on real people) are skilfully developed and feel very real indeed. Through Alfred, the boy at the centre of the story, we get to know the people of Oradour - residents both old and new, young and elderly. These were characters that I cared about and, just as much as I wanted to read on, I was frequently terrified to turn the page.

The story packs a huge emotional punch - and then it hits you afresh that it is based on a very real event that took place only a lifetime ago. For older children studying World War 2, One Day in Oradour is a must-read. But I also recommend it to anyone who, like me, needs to learn more about the war's many human tragedies. A superb book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy read, 12 May 2013
Well written book about an historic event that I had never heard about.
Good reading support for children studying WW2

5.0 out of 5 stars A tough read, but one which should be read!, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: One Day in Oradour (Paperback)
This is an exceedingly well-researched and well written story woven round the horrifying facts of the Oradour massacre. Many books have been written trying to explain why this village suffered in this way, some of them bizarre, some thought provoking. This book simply accepts that it happened, and tells the story in a way which compels the reader to face the fact that all war leads to excesses of brutality, but also to heroism and bravery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 Mar 2014
M. J. Bates "Blaster" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day in Oradour (Paperback)
Living in France close to Oradour sur Glane ane having visited the old town, this book Is very poignant to us.

5.0 out of 5 stars it brought it all to life, 18 May 2013
This review is from: One Day in Oradour (Paperback)
A powerful and moving book. I have previously visited the Village de Martyrs in Oradour-sur-Glane so knew something of the events before reading this. But this book has brought it all to life. I strongly recommend this book to anyone struggling to understand the events of that awful day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A personalised account of a tragic event, 15 May 2013
I finished reading 'One day in Oradour' at 2am this morning. I just could not put it down. I, ashamedly, had no knowledge of this tragic event in the history of France. The story is told in a most compelling way and for much of the book, my heart was in my mouth sensing that something terrible was about to unfold but not knowing quite what and hoping that all would be well. The courage shown by the little boy, Alfred, only 7 years of age and the mayor offering himself and his sons as hostages was humbling.

Seriously, well worth reading -

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 13 Feb 2014
This book makes for compelling reading. Trying to understand the events that happened and the bravery of those who survived. A necessary read to remember the horror of the second world war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Local history told with sympathy, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: One Day in Oradour (Paperback)
The children it was bought for found it frightening & exciting. Oradour is very close to their father's holiday home so we expect to visit the site next summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars oradour, 12 Oct 2013
Really easy to read. Read in a couple of days, Could not put down.A hard traumatic story to tell but we should not shy aware of subjects that may be difficult to read. Informative and educational

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 3 July 2013
This review is from: One Day in Oradour (Paperback)
Really interesting book well written and full of interesting facts would recommend to anyone who enjoys this type of book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Day in Oradour
One Day in Oradour by Helen Watts (Paperback - 9 May 2013)