Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 21 February 2013
I got this book because I wanted something comprehensive and understandable to take me from the absolute basics through to fairly advanced family research, holding my hand all the way. I've already gone quite a long way with my ancestry but using only patchy advice and help - it was time to get systematic.

The book is called 'Easy Family Research' and takes the intelligent reader, step by step, through the processes. It starts with the absolute fundamentals - talking to family to get your oral history, then looking at birth, marriage, death and census records. These are the basic tools you need to look into your family tree. Then, David Annal instructs the reader in the murky waters of probate, pre-1837 records, military service, pictures, newspapers, immigration and the world wide web. It's a comprehensive guide and if you follow it all, I think you'd be beyond the realms of what I'd call easy - but it's all done in a clear and understandable way, perfectly accessible to the average reader. To be honest, if you cannot follow these sensible guidelines then you probably aren't ready to research your family anyway.

This is, incidentally, a completely new edition, bang up-to-date and thoroughly revised. That's so important with family history books because the resources are changing literally every year. This book compares well with other current favourites such as 'Teach Yourself Tracing Your Family History' by Stella Colwell(which is an equally good book but offers very little help with regard to immigrants and emigrants) or 'Tracing Your Family Tree' by Kathy Chater (which is very good with lovely illustrations but more expensive and a bit more elementary in content - great for school projects).

Suitable for readers who are intelligent but complete beginners in family research; intermediate enthusiasts who have gaps in their knowledge; advanced hobbyists as an up-to-date reference. Nicely bound and well-produced, important since this book should become much-loved and well-thumbed. The text is not large but the general layout is clear and quite well adapted to those with a visual difficulty.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2015
Good book in good condition.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse