Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Prime Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Kindle Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2012
When I was a youngster there was always one book that I ensured went with me to every match that I attended - the Playfair Cricket Annual. Within its pages you could find any statistics you needed to ensure that the feats of the match protagonists were only a page turn away. I've not bought one for some time now, as the most up to date information is available on the excellent cricinfo website, saved as an early favourite on the family laptops.

It is from cricinfo that much of the information in the Wisden Guide to International Cricket 2013 comes, having changed its name to use the Wisden brand last year to good effect. Where it comes into its own is as a potted guide to the touring sides, the editor having to second guess the national selectors of the different teams with his selection of players for inclusion. So well is it done though that there are unlikely to be many omissions.Those seeking information on overseas professionals for the counties will also be rewarded, as the major stars from around the globe are here from all of the Test-playing nations. The book is now in its seventh year and is an excellent annual addition to the literature of the greatest game.

More than most of its kind it tells you not just what the players have achieved, but how they play, with the potted biographies both enlightening and rewarding. Of course, in an age when cricket statistics are, through cricinfo, only a mouse click away, the statistics are out of date because of publishing schedules and the sheer quantity of international cricket these days. Published in November 2012, the book doesn't reflect the most recent matches around the globe but one has to expect this and instead appreciate the book for what it offers.

That is 272 pages of information on the top stars of the modern international game, nicely produced and of a size and price that means you can have one of the only books you really need on match days and still get decent change from a tenner.

What's not to like?
on 4 June 2013
My husband and I use this all the way through the IPL to check on the profiles of the international players who take part. We have also bought them for our sons and son-in-law who had not seen them before this season. I think they will be regular buyers now too. It doesnt have all the stats of Wisden but is a really good international guide.
on 21 January 2013
This is well laid-out and easy to follow. Print size reasonable for older folk. Only criticism is in the number of entries, as there were some I felt should be included but, if the parameter has to be of 300 entries only, it's difficult to leave any of those in now, out.
on 10 March 2013
All the following items have been up to my expectations and well worth my buying them as have all my
purchases from amazon so far
on 26 May 2013
a well researched book typical wisden a real gem for
cricket enthusiasts very detailed and up to date
well done wisden
on 19 August 2013
During the Ashes I've often looked up various bits of information & even added new facts of my own. Great reference book.