5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
This is a beautiful looking book - stunning pictures, brilliantly laid out. Packed with not only campsite reviews but handy camping tips, personal anecdotes and equipment reviews. It shows you how beautiful our landscape really is in the UK. Haven't read a UK travel book this inspiring and exciting since Wild Swimming.
Published 15 months ago by C. E. Thomson

1.0 out of 5 stars Camping - really?
Pretty shocking that the "best in Cornwall" site is for caravans only with no showers or toilets. In fact, many of the sites are for campervans and caravans, not tents.

So, why not have a picture of a capmervan on the front instead of a tent and rename the book "Caravanning by the waterside"?
Published 10 months ago by Alan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Camping - really?, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Camping by the Waterside: The best campsites by water in Britain and Ireland (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 26 Mar 2013
C. E. Thomson (London, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Camping by waterside, 28 Feb 2013
I have been looking for some time for a user friendly guide about camping by water. This book really fits the bill, with lots of useful detail on each campsite and its facilities plus all the directions, opening times of each and any restrictions. Some great photos too which give you a good impression of what to expect. A must for keeping in the camper van.

5.0 out of 5 stars camping by the waterside, 28 Feb 2013
I have always thought we under rated the British Isles and this book proves it. Wonderful photos full of vibrant colour make you long to spend time in these idylic places . Why would you want to go abroad . The book is full of useful information I would recommend it to anyone who loves the outdoors

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the cover, 2 Sep 2013
I brought this book as I enjoy the occasional multi day canoe trip so finding camp sites is of interest to me.

However, several "camp sites" that interested me in this book are actually caravan sites as they do not allow tents. Now, my understanding of "camp sites" is that you camp on them, not put a caravan on them, when they become "caravan sites".

As I don't have room for a caravan in my canoe I found the book to not be as useful as I had first hoped.

However, it is easy to use and does have some "proper" camp sites of interest in it so it's worth three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my camping needs, 13 Aug 2013
What a great little book. It's great to find a book with so much detail and wide range of campsites across the UK. You can tell the author knows his stuff. My family and I have visited a number of the sites featured in Camping By The Waterside after finding them in this book. Such a handy book for campers to have on their shelves (or glove box). I hope there's more to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book that's also beautiful, 12 Aug 2013
If camping - or motorhoming - is what you do, then where you want to be is by the water. This book is excellently laid out, and with stunning photography, really entices you to go to these places. Contains many useful tips about the sites and camping in general. Keep it in the motorhome - or on your coffee table.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camping tips fit for everyone!, 2 May 2013
This easy-to-read guide highlights not only the best places to camp, but incorporates handy hints and tips which everyone can benefit from, including keeping safe out there and what clothes are good to take. It is excellent for beginners (like myself), and those who camp often. The photographs, that accompany the descriptions, are captured beautifully and so picturesque--most of us have probably forgotten that we own gorgeous beaches and landmarks around the UK and Ireland!

It combines luxury camping ideas with those who wish to save on cash, but Neale assures us that prices will fluctuate year on year.

Top 10: this little guide is handy for giving you the top ten sites for specific activities, including getting out on the water, or even the best places to fish.

It also divides Britain and Ireland by area and helps you to approach visiting camp sites and caravan parks using this method.

I'd pass it round to family members and friends if I could stop fantasising about my next camping trip...A little winner of a book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel book with a difference, 28 Feb 2013
A refreshing change to the standard travel book. Love the anecdotes throughout which give it a personality of its own and its full of fascinating facts. Hope there are more books on the horizon from this inspiring author!

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange mix of campsites, 12 May 2013
Rachel Mccollin (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book thinking it would include similar campsites to Cool Camping, Tiny Campsites, etc. However the sites it lists are not what I was expecting. I've been to quite a few of these sites and many of them are large, commercial sites which aren't exactly waterside idylls. Unlike those other books, this book doesn't tell you the pros and cons of each site so it's difficult to compare them without some extra research.

The idea of a book of waterside campsites is a lovely one but I was expecting to find some hidden gems in here, or at least for there to be some honest appraisal of what the sites are like, apart from being by water. As it is I'm afraid I haven't found any sites in here that I don't think I could have easily found via a quick trawl of ukcampsite.com.

Having said that, the book looks lovely and has inspired me to try some wild swimming next time I'm at one of my favourite secluded waterside sites (none of which are mentioned here).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›