4.0 out of 5 stars An all-round good reference guide!
Published 22 months ago by sardoc

3.0 out of 5 stars A very detailed guide and useful reference book but not a step by step guide
As I'm researching my family tree, I downloaded this book. It is extremely detailed; perhaps too much. I found it covered too much history of genealogy and the internet before it got to the useful bit. It gave me some tips on where to look and some ideas. I would recommend it as a reference book to dip in and out of rather than a step by step guide.
Published 7 months ago by Stepas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An all-round good reference guide!, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Genealogist's Internet: The Essential Guide to Researching Your Family History Online (Paperback)
One of my (many) hobbies is researching my family tree. I've been doing this for two or three years now and it is something I love throwing myself into a few nights a month. When I saw the opportunity to review The Genealogist's Internet by Peter Christian I jumped at the chance. I feel I'm now past the beginner stage and am starting to get into the nitty gritty of tracing my family back past 1800 where possible as well as padding out their lives and trying to find out who they were beyond a name and some dates.

This book is perfectly pitched at this level for me. It starts with the basics, and so would also be useful for beginners, and is full of useful stuff. Peter Christian covers what you will need to know to start and the usual suspects to start with. I found this quite good to read anyway in case I had missed something (which I had!). There is too much out there for the casual researcher to assume they have thought of everything.

He then takes you through the various types of historical records available to you from birth records and censuses to parish records and military records. For each he gives information and links, suggestions of where to try and also cautions about where the limits of internet research could hold you back. I particularly found his narrative on where it is other factors, such as government cutbacks or legislation, which were preventing the information from being more readily accessible, very interesting reading.

The book also contains information on recording and preserving your research with suggestions you might want to try along with their pros and cons making it a good all round guide.

I personally found this a brilliant guide that I know I will be going back to time and time again. You can sense his love of the subject, which is great for a non-fiction guidebook, and he has provided more than enough links, and at times references to other books, to help most beginners and intermediates out when they (inevitably) get stuck. I would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A valuable up-date in a fast moving field., 21 Nov 2012
Kenneth J. Morris (Burton-upon Trent, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the 5th Edition of Peter Christian's book but the first I have owned having borrowed a (2009) previous edition. Everything 'on-line' is changing at a fast pace and the use of the Internet to research family history is no exception. Just one look at the contents page confirms the sheer practicality of PC's volume - it is useful to both beginner and experienced genealogists alike and is really bang up-to-date with a host of new sites (to me) to explore together with numerous other new sources of information. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genealogists Internet., 2 Sep 2012
Very interesting book which brings together in one volume a lot of useful information which would have required a lot of effort to find otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 16 Nov 2012
This book has all the information needed to follow family research on the internet. It provides information to help find all those more difficult bits that can be particularly hard to trace. Overall a most useful addition to our personal library.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vital tool to keep abreast of the growing importance of the Internet, 25 Aug 2014
Derek Jones - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The most important change in genealogy in recent years has been the growing usefulness of the internet. More and more information is becoming available on the net and new sites are appearing all the time. This is an excellent book for beginners and intermediate genealogists in helping to direct their research. Its one weakness is inherent in the publishing of books: it cannot be completely up-to-date with the rapid changes in genealogical websites. This 5th edition was published in 2012 and though it will continue to be a very useful tool for some time to come it is important to remember that is becoming, in some respects at least, out-of-date as websites appear and disappear or change their character..

5.0 out of 5 stars The Genealogists Internet, 28 May 2013
I. Lodge "Barney" (UK) - See all my reviews
A really useful book. I have been researching my family history for about two years and this the first book that I have bought. I have found several really good leads and two brick walls are down already. You may get there eventually without the book, but you will certainly get there far quicker with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars GENEALOGISTS DREAM, 25 April 2013
i have found that by reading through this book a bit at a time and researching the information contained in the book it has helped me to find a lot of my family ancestors.
a great big thank you for the book

5.0 out of 5 stars A genealogist's bible, 5 Aug 2012
Mr. R. J. Hopper (UK) - See all my reviews
It is too early to fully justify the usefulness of this book, but my first impression is how have I managed without it. The print is clear, easy to read and the index provides a quick reference. I am already making countless discoveries of hitherto unknown sources. Thank you Amazon for your usual quick and efficient service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genealogist's Internet, 23 July 2012
C. Gregory (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very useful book - contains not just links to relevant websites, but also has plenty of helpful information and guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Essential Guide, 10 May 2014
ColChris (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
Reading through this book I ran out of book marks to mark useful pages and it has helped in getting more from internet research

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›