5.0 out of 5 stars Back of the net!!
As much as I would have loved to have attended one of the events at this year's Olympic Games I'm fairly sure that had I have done so I wouldn't have had a better seat than the one I actually had - my comfy armchair in front of the TV at home. Not only that, thanks to the BBC I could watch any event I chose, just by pressing a red button. The 2012 Olympics turned out to...
Published on 22 Oct 2012 by Bantam Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Tops up the Kelner addiction
Fans lamenting the loss of Kelner's Guardian column on TV sport will welcome this history, although his ascerbic humour and satirical voice does not quite translate to a full volume.
Published 19 months ago by BobMay

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Class, 18 Feb 2013
Very entertaining, well balanced humorous review of sports coverage on TV from the early black and white days to the present day, with thoughts on future development of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 30 Jan 2013
R. Simmonds (UK) - See all my reviews
Very interesting and well written. First time buying a Martin Kelner book and I am glad I did following the plugs in Fighting Talk.

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and informative, 13 Jan 2013
For all sports fans, especially those of a certain age. I'm guessing the author is a similar age to me, as so much of what he writes has the resonance of a Proustian madeleine. It's a fun read, but also extremely well-researched and informative. I can't recommend it more highly

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and fascinating, 8 Nov 2012
This book cracks along at pace, outlining this history of televised sport through stories of the people who brought it to our screens - some famous, some not. It's a great read, humorous without being self-indulgent. Go get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much funnier than a Karcher, 2 Nov 2012
J. S. Fink "Simon Fink" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Martin Kelner's latest book is one of the most enjoyable books I've read and much much funnier than the Karcher Vacuum thingy. In it, (the book, not the cleaning thing) the author takes the reader through the history of sport on TV and does so in his inimitable style; one which makes this reader laugh out loud.

Readers should note, however, that the book is of very limited use if one is looking for something to help keep ones' windows clean though the pages will absorb a certain amount of liquid.

Highly recommended, (the book, not the Karcher).

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelner is my hero, 23 Sep 2012
What is left to say about Kelner that has not yet been said?
Erudite, self-effacing, dress sense and great taste in wicker chairs...

These and his undying respect and the love of my "work" shows through in this book and in his Monday Grauniad column.

Laugh? I've danced live in front of more people than who will laugh at this.

With luck Robbie Savage can be the deal breaker from those more than thirty unblemished years...

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Sit Down & Cheer, 10 May 2014
R. Benson (UK) - See all my reviews
As always with Mr Kelner's books, it made me laugh a great deal. He writes all too infrequently and I'm waiting for his next. Soon Mr Kelner?
Try "When Will I Be Famous?" - one of his earlier books, which was hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand up and applaud, 3 Feb 2014
J. Burton "luddite" (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sit Down and Cheer: A History of Sport on TV (Wisden Sports Writing) (Paperback)
Well done to Mr Kelner for writing this witty and informative history of TV sport. First class just like David Coleman.

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 24 Nov 2013
Really interesting, well researched read full of fascinating trivia and social history. Definitely a blokes book and one that makes you want to research some of the stories in it further or watch things on youtube.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Warts & All View of TV Sport, 7 Sep 2013
I expected this to be an enjoyable book, given the author, and it was. It brought back lots of memories about how rubbish sport on TV was in the 1960s/1970s. We are so lucky with sports coverage nowadays. If you've an interest in Sport and you're over the age of 40 this is perfect for you. If you're under 40 you ought to thank your lucky stars you didn't have to watch some of the rubbish we did.

Sit Down and Cheer: A History of Sport on TV (Wisden Sports Writing)