5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know to make glazes with natural materials you have sourced yourself, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Natural Glazes: Collecting and Making (New Ceramics) (Paperback)
I love this book which reads like a story. It's written with plain English descriptions of materials, rocks, plants, what they are, how to identify them and how to use them to make glazes. It is a practical how to book. This is unlike other glaze books I know where ingredients are usually described by chemical names and glaze mixes expressed in percentages. The contributing artists' information is extremely helpful too, though not everyone says where they live which is a nuisance given the subject matter. The book will influence how I take my work forward. The problem with working in isolation is that one has no mentors so this book can be a good substitute. The author, Miranda Forrest, lives and works in Bornais, South Uist, the Outer Hebrides, Scotland where her work can be seen and bought. The book is also of interest to geologists and to any anyone interested finding out how artists and crafts men and women and ceramicists imagine through the landscape. In many ways it is delightfully excentric. Because Natural Glazes is about place, this is also a travel book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 26 Sep 2014
P. Wheeler "Paul" (London) - See all my reviews
I received this book a few days ago and I love it - I am so inspired by some of creations Miranda Forrest talk about. I have so many ideas!! My only problem is that my kiln won't fire to stoneware temperatures and I don't want to use any purchased ingredients.. So I'm a bit stuck.. But I'll have to do some more research and see what I can do.

I really wanted to email Miranda to say thank you but can't find an email address - so thanks! I'm thinking conkers at this time of year..

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative book about sustainable, unique glaze effects, 14 Oct 2014
A well-written and informative book about naturally sourced materials for ceramics glazes, their gathering, preparation, as well as techniques for their use. The author provides many photographic images that support the text and inspire. I would recommend this book to novices and seasoned ceramicists, as there's something useful in it for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars with easy to follow experiments, 6 Oct 2014
Clearly written, with easy to follow experiments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Sep 2014
Great book

Natural Glazes: Collecting and Making (New Ceramics)
Natural Glazes: Collecting and Making (New Ceramics) by Miranda Forrest (Paperback - 28 Mar 2013)