on 6 November 2012
endorsed by the BBKA (British bee keepers association) it is a very good guide if you are just starting to keep bees, want to find out more before you decide if bee-keeping is for you, addresses a number of FAQ's and also helps to brush up on your existing knowledge. It is a good reference work and the illustrations are generally informative and well produced. An ideal bee book
on 7 December 2012
There is a fascination with bees currently with many turning to keeping bees as the perfect antidote to the stresses and strains of life. I am a beekeeper of seven years and it is an immensely rewarding hobby. The thing I like most about this book is that is genuinely useful and I think a good starting point for anyone thinking of taking it up. There are a few new, what I call 'fluffy' books about beekeeping out there but for the most practical of interests you need a book with meaningful content. And this has it in spades.
on 19 January 2013
Having read a few starter bee books and looked at a few more, this is amongst the better. It is up to date (ie has lots of info on bee disease), and is well produced (lots of nice photos). There are a few typo's that need correcting before the second edition, but these are few. It covers all the areas you'll need to know about in your first year or two of beekeeping.

It is a very good book for a starter beekeeper, but should be supplemented with a course and reading some of the FERA information on bee diseases.
on 17 June 2014
This book is OK though there is nothing unique about it. Other books I bought either offer more deep knowledge or written with good sense of humour which makes it easier to read. We are in our beginning at bee-keeping with 4 hives and I am going to take Basic examination course at BBKA - this is the only reason I bought this book.
on 3 February 2013
I know from experience that there are many books that are offered on this subject but this is very good and I will lend it to other beekeepers. As ever delivered promptly
on 9 April 2015
Okay so spend ages looking around at a flooded market of bee books and bought this one as a bee keeper I cannot recommend this enough plenty of detail and information, its not an encyclopaedia but if you want a well presented pitched book that is user friendly to help any beekeeping activity this is the one. Not sure you need many others as this is comprehensive enough, unless your doing a dissertation !!
on 26 January 2016
Very helpful and written in a style that would be worth reading even if you hadn't found a colony in your garden. We were struggling to learn as much as possible in order to bring the bees through the winter. We did and now we have a second hive! It's a good book to get started with. No "mystique".
on 28 September 2014
I bought this with the Haynes manual. This book is very much an overview of bees and bee keeping, rather than a practical guide. I therefore found the Haynes more useful.
on 21 January 2014
You can't go wrong with a BBKA guide and if you're a beekeeper, you should be a member - even if you're thinking about it. This is an excellent guide for starting and continuing with bee husbandry with lots of information including a section on diseases.
on 17 December 2014
Loads of information and useful hints. I certainly know a lot more about the busy bees than I did before.

I am currently hosting a hive on my allotment and have watched some of the work involved- as well as enjoying several jars of delicious honey. I am now planning to take over the hive and possibly get a second one.

Next spring I will attend a bee keeping course for which I feel more prepared after reading this book.
review image