5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, informative book!
Published on 29 Oct 2011 by W. Wild

3.0 out of 5 stars Infomative but disappointed
I found the techniques useful and informative. I was disappointed however that the diamond effect created on the fabric on the front cover wasn't include as that was one of the main reasons I bought the book.
Published on 22 Feb 2011 by sva, London

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, informative book!, 29 Oct 2011
W. Wild "mum to 6" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques (Spiral-bound)
I bought this along with Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire Shaeffer because, looking at the reviews for both, I thought I might be missing something if I didn't get the other. I wasn't. This book is by far the better in my opinion, but I was looking for something to instruct me on how to get a more professional, high end finish on my clothing (which includes wedding dresses, prom dresses and christening gowns amongst other things - so finish is pretty important) rather than an in-depth history book. This book has very clear, user-friendly instructions, excellent photographs and illustrations and most of the techniques are illustrated in several steps...on actual fabric, unlike the other book! It has given me much inspiration and reminded me of several techniques my mother, a professional seamstress, used but I had completely forgotten about. I do understand that much actual couture sewing is done by hand and I'm not adverse to that, where necessary (in fact, I always 'thread trace' and 'baste', though I've always known these as simply 'tacking' - 'basting' is what you do to a turkey!), but if you want to use a sewing machine for the majority of your project as I do, then this book also comes up trumps in that department. I will definitely be referring back to this book time and time again - exactly what I was looking for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine finishes in dressmaking, 21 Jan 2011
I received this book today and it was just what is needed in any dressmaker's collection. The author gives you such tips as how to make a hidden sew in pocket, how to stop a slit in a skirt from ripping, how to handle difficult materials and many more.

I often find that the little details (how to cover a press stud) are the ones that are so often overlooked in sewing books and this one covers it.

It is not for a complete beginner and it does assume that you already know how to sew.

The book is beautifully illustrated and easy to read, being spiral bound and I'm sure any dressmaker will use it again and again.

Particularly useful for the perfectionist.

This would make a wonderful gift for any dressmaker at any level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Infomative but disappointed, 22 Feb 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars misleading title, 3 Mar 2011
Alisya March "FBA" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
Beautiful pictures and good paper, but it's not what it's called. Not about couture at all. It's all about basic sewing techniques. The publisher's just put few fresh, glamour photos from Haute Couture catwalks and that's it. If you are looking for couture techniques, better try "Couture Sewing Techniques" by Claire Shaeffer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont judge this book by its cover!, 10 May 2012
Stargirlphotography (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
So I bought this based upon reviews and descriptions, as I am a beginner/intermediate looking to just learn skills to design and make clothes creatively. Don't get me wrong, what the book contains is explained clearly with relevant photos and that is why I chose to give it the 3 stars. But I needed and was lead to believe that it would contain creative techniques such as on the cover. Anyone else expecting the same will be just as sorely disappointed as I was upon reading it. It covers 'couture' fastenings, edging, hems, seams, lining and interfacing at length. It has a decent guide to materials but even that seems far from complete.

It contains one double page on making toiles and even that is not that useful. The book is interspersed with catwalk images but no explanation of how to do any of the techniques shown in them. The rest of the example images loom like dated projects from the likes of Debenhams or Boscovs!

In frustration I have had to buy another two books - one is 'the art of manipulating fabric' and the other is the revised 'complete collection of couture sewing' which had some bad reviews which instead pointed me towards this red herring. Will be posting reviews on those once they arrive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques, 17 Feb 2012
Worth every penny - Beautifully laid out, clear and useful. As a dressmaker for about 30 years, you don't know everything. Some new techniques and some refreshers, very simple to follow - even for a beginner not just an old hand. Def worth investing in this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good so long as you don't already have a sewing book, 16 Jan 2014
This book is detailed and interesting, it uses modern garment examples to showcase elements like interlings etc. It is good, but if you already have any other sewing book then you will most likely have most of the information already. But if its your first book then it does the job well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, detailed, well illustrated, 30 Jun 2012
This book is packed with techniques for giving a high-quality finish to home-sewn garments. In each case she explains where and why you might use the technique. There are ample clear photos to illustrate each process and the book is spiral-bound which makes it easy to read whilst working. The main sections are: Bindings and Finishes; Design Details On Show; Design Details Concealed; Designer Underpinnings; Directory Of Luxury Fabrics; Essential Couture Techniques. My only criticism is that in the underpinnings section there are photos showing a skirt where one half has a technique applied to it and the other doesn't, to illustrate the benefit of lining it, backing the fabric etc, but I can't tell the difference in many cases. Anyone who is serious about improving their dressmaking skills would benefit from using this book. Even a novice could follow it though as it explains things clearly and comprehensively.

4.0 out of 5 stars definitely worth buying!, 23 Nov 2011
E. Charnley "Eccles Tigger" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
A fascinating book, pulls together my learning after a lifetime of sewing, gives me new ideas and lets us in on those little 'secrets' that take clothes to couture.

4.0 out of 5 stars intpiration for an enthusiastic amateur!, 28 Mar 2011
This book is easy to follow and full of ideas which I shall try out in my sewing. It has taught me techniques for a more professional finish,to so many dressmaking projects. The photographs are explicit with clear instructions. Altogether,an inspirational book to which I shall refer, time after time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques
Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques by Lynda Maynard (Spiral-bound - 10 Sep 2010)
11.89