Published on 23 Dec 2011 by N. Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but depends what you want it for
Published 17 months ago by Sookie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful guide into setting up and running a photography business., 23 Dec 2011
N. Lawrence (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Setting Up a Successful Photography Business: How to be a Professional Photographer (Setting Up Guides) (Paperback)
I've read a lot of photography books in my time and I have to say firstly that it's a relief to see a British one produced, that provides practical references to British resources. I would also have to disagree with the first reviewer; I think it is obvious from the title that it is not aimed at successful professionals who've been in business for 10 years. From reading it, it is clearly aimed at (a) those considering setting up their business, (b) just started or are in the first 1-2 years of trading or (c) those considering making a change from other specialisms to commercial/editorial photography.

I was a part-time professional for five years before becoming wholly self-employed in June 2011. I bought this book because adjusting to the changes of working 100% as a self-employed photographer has been a big challenge. The section on Marketing was very helpful in giving me some new resources to refer to and gave me comfort in confirming that what I was already doing was right. I enjoyed the sections where other photographers - such as Perou, David Slijper and Julia Boggio - talked about the things they have had to deal with on their way to becoming a successful businessperson. The templates and guides are very useful, as are the considerations you should make with regards to pricing, producing a shoot and copyright.

I think this book has also come at a very opportune time and I would encourage any photographers - whatever early stage they are at - to read this book. There is a lot of pessimism about the future of photography and how money can't be earned from it. The message I get from Lisa's book is that it IS there, but you cannot expect to announce that you are photographer to 20 of your closest friends and expect to earn a living from it. If you decide to sell your images or photographic skill, then you need to become a businessperson, find out who would buy your work and have reasons why you are different or of value to your clients. Then you need to promote, promote and promote some more. It's hard work but this is what businesspeople in other sectors have been doing for years - more photographers need to do this too.

Thanks Lisa on an excellent first book; I hope there are other books in the pipeline that cover specific areas - more detailed books on marketing and the legal side of photography would be particularly interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely necessary reading, 1 Jun 2012
D M. Breakwell "Pathfinder" (Englefield Green Surrey) - See all my reviews
At last there is a book on starting a photography business for the U.K, not the usual American stuff that you get in the business section. If your like me and planning to start your own photography business, make this essential reading. Lisa Prichard has produced a master piece, almost a step by step guide on how to do it with all the information that you will need. It discusses the legal issues you are going to face like contact terms and conditions, the thorny issue of copyright protection and insurance. It explains the importance of the business plan and some of the elements it should contain. It explains marketing and provides sources that I didn't know about and much much more in an easy to understand way. It provides a long list of links to other sources of information.It also gives you samples of some of the business forms you are going to need. It really has helped clear some of the fog that I found myself in by giving practical answers to my questions and getting me started. Its also asked some more questions that I hadn't even thought about that will need solving.
I'm reading this book along with "starting a business for dummies" and by combining the information from the two I am well on my way.

I can not praise this remarkable little book enough. its a veritable gold mine, full of solid practical and more importantly relevant advice from a real expert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and useful, 10 Jan 2012
As an A Level Photography teacher I was seeking a resource that offers vocational insights for students. I have found it a really useful and insightful point of reference. The photography courses I lead -as is usual with A Level Photography - come very much from an art-based context. This book is not concerned with areas such as developing creativity, observational skills, or composing effective images. It is a highly accessible reference book that offers practical vocational insights and advice from aspects such as marketing to legal obligations. No doubt it will be particularly valuable to Commercial Photography Degree students, however the advice is not exclusive but straightforward - best emphasised within the 'have you got what it takes' section - and open to all considering setting up a photography business. The underlying message is positive and for any of my students that express an interest in commercial photography it will be useful to point them to this book to gain further insights into the wider considerations of being a successful professional photographer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but depends what you want it for, 6 Jun 2013
This is a good book overall. I, however, work directly with the public so found a lot of the info irrelevant. It is mainly geared towards photographers who work for magazines/organise shoots. There's a lot of info surrounding this subject, including finding an agent and organising a shoot etc. There's some useful info on copyright and an example contract at the back. Overall, I'd say that if you are literally just starting out or want to sell your work to a magazine or art gallery then this book is great. If you're just running your own business selling directly to the public then you may not find it as useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Setting Up Photographic Business, 3 Nov 2013
First of all this is a British based book about setting up a business in the UK, which is a find in itself. It is a really useful and insightful point of reference. If you are planning to start your own photography business, this little book makes essential reading. Lisa has produced a step by step guide on how to do it with all the information that you will need. It covers the legal issues you are likely to face, like contact terms and conditions, and the issue of copyright protection and insurance. I would highly recommend this book to have on shelf for future reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful & cheap as chips, 17 May 2012
I found this book incredibly helpful for legislation and professional practice on my degree course and as I plan to set up my own business later it is great to know I have everything I need to know at a glance in well structured format and a heads up on what is to come in my future. I would recommend this to anyone thinking of starting in the profession as a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 17 May 2012
This is the first review I have written on Anazon and I felt compelled to do it. I was going to ask that no one buys this book as I don't want the competition for my photography business but that would be wrong. I say this because anyone thinking of starting their own business taking pictures and making money from it should read this book. The depth the author goes in to in her writings is fantastic and it should be on every amateur/pro photographers bookshelf. I have read many on the subject and apart from one other, this is one of the only ones that deals with the UK market (The Bigger Picture by Jeanne Griffiths being the other one). Just buy it. It's a small investment that you can't do without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book - full of gems! Buy it now!, 17 May 2012
As someone who is relatively new to Freelance Photography I often find myself struggling to find detailed information about what full-time pro's do with the non-photographic side of their business i.e. marketing, portfolios, legal, their committed approach! Although I have engaged with other full-time pro's I still found the balanced view difficult to come by... or at least I did until now...that where Lisa Pritchard's book comes in.

What I feel the book provides above everything else, is real world, balanced view - from whom you may ask? Photographers and Agents who are currently running very successful businesses. This therefore isn't another book written by another failed pro that struggles to make ends meet and hence writes a book. The author of this book runs a successful agency in the UK and has used her many contacts (photographers, art buyers, creative directors etc) to provide input for this wonderful and inspiring book.

On a final note, who is this book pitched at? I guess there is a slight leaning towards Commercial Photography (which suited me), but overall I would say the target audience are photographers who want to run their businesses in the right way, people who have vision and aspire to be the best that they can be. Become the ultimate professional!

If you are serious about your photography, buy this book now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice for certain areas of photography, 31 Jan 2014
Very good book, lots of useful information to anyone wanting to sell images or set up in the press, fashion and gallery forms of photography. Very limited info for those setting up a wedding or portrait business. Still a lot of good info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and practical tips for setting up in business, 22 Jan 2014
This book was instrumental in tuning me into practical ways to help my business succeed. It gave me ideas in areas of my business I would never have given a thought to so I would recommend anyone who is starting out in photography, to give this book a read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›