5.0 out of 5 stars a great icebreaker
I've always been insecure about some everyday words like `Luddite' and `egregious' and `invidious' - but the problem was I never got around to looking them up.
So I was delighted to discover this book which positively brims with all these words that were foxing me.
For example, I've read some of George Orwell's novels, but when someone described a situation as...
Published on 14 Oct. 2010 by F. Duffan

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be cleverer than I thought!
I like books about words, grammar, etc., (sad, I know) and I was looking forward to receiving this one. I have to say I was underwhelmed by it.

Published on 10 Oct. 2010 by D. Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Sound Clever, 27 Sept. 2010
This review is from: How to Sound Clever: Master the 600 English Words You Pretend to Understand...When You Don't (Hardcover)
What a great book!! The writer must charm the socks off women and men alike with his great vocab - "How to attract your heart's desire" could be another title for this book. Smitten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and engaging, 12 April 2013
How to Sound Clever is a jaunty romp through the groves of vocabulary, conducted with plenty of irony and wit, as the title would suggest. The 600 words are chosen with real judgement: these are not recherché heirlooms, dragged out of disuse for their curiosity value, but words on the fringes of the mainstream, lucidly explained. A profoundly agreeable book, full of charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars already reviewed, 3 Feb. 2014
Mrs. Imogen M. Skirving "Imogen Skirving" (LANGAR NR NOTTINGHAM UK) - See all my reviews
See review above. Look forward to reading Hubert va den Bergh's next book. Hope he writes a novel one day

2.0 out of 5 stars I must be cleverer than I thought!, 10 Oct. 2010
D. Edwards (UK) - See all my reviews

It's always a bad sign when there are huge borders limiting the amount of actual text on each page. It makes me suspect that the book has had to be padded out. This suspicion was confirmed by some of the content.

Now I'm certainly not Stephen Fry but the revelation that "Dickensian" means "bringing to mind the novels of Charles Dickens" was not a huge shock. I knew that "opaque" means "hard to make out" (and I'm not sure that's a particularly good definition anyway). Is there anyone who doesn't have a reasonable idea what "tinnitus" is or what "tawdry" means?

There was some interest in reading a proper "definition" of a word that you have heard (in reasonably common use) and seeing whether the meaning you had worked out was correct. Having said that, I could have used a dictionary to do that.

Overall disappointing. Seems more like an attempt to rush out something that people will buy as an Xmas stocking filler rather than a genuine attempt to look (in any sort of depth) at interesting words in current use.

4.0 out of 5 stars how to sound clever, 20 Jun. 2013
I am really keen on the English language and so was intrigued by this book. It has many words that you think you know but maybe don't know their meaning. It is a useful tool for increasing your vocabulary and making you sound smart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 24 Feb. 2012
I have had so much fun with this book, playing people up with words they could not possibly know. Then disappearing when they have run it through dictionary.com and they are baying for my blood!

4.0 out of 5 stars good reference book, 4 Dec. 2014
A good selection of words. It's just a coffee table reference book really. Fun to read. I hope to teach my daughter some words from it over the years to broaden her vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 Sept. 2013
Bought as a gift for my son, and he loves it. Full of fantastic, intelligent words that he is trying to put to use every day

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected., 30 Oct. 2010
John H. Tomkins (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
A passion for English and English words attracted me to this title. Alas I was disappointed. There were very few words reviewed that aren't in my current vocabulary, which is about average. I also found that in some cases the phrases given to illustrate meaning lacked precision. All in all a book with a promising aim but one that didn't quite hit the target. My copy has already gone to a charity shop who will at least get some cash out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct. 2014
C. M. White (Ramsey, Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
Good to pick up or study.

Used & New from: £1.68