5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem
This amazing little book has seen me through Day Skipper, Yachtmaster, Tall Ships Races, night sailing, keelboat racing and cruising all over Europe. It taught me and I have used it to teach others. I have never gone sailing without it, even though I can now practically visualise every page!

This is at least partly because it is so small and handy - why...
Published on 21 Sep 2007 by liz

2.0 out of 5 stars Print errors
This refers to the 2012 print run. There are many print errors and facts missing completely. Apparently the 2011 version is fine and complete so I am trying to return this for a replacement.
Published 19 months ago by Ajb

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 21 Sep 2007
liz (Hampshire) - See all my reviews

This is at least partly because it is so small and handy - why wouldn't you take it with you when it is compact enough to fit in your oilskins pocket? It is also a truly unique and invaluable synthesis of the most essential and useful information on sailing, navigation tides and weather.

For those who are confident they know it all, this is still a great book to have on board as it's pictures and user-friendly style make it great for teaching novices. All this for less than the price of a plate of chips in the yacht club!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent pocket book a must for all Skippers, 1 Feb 2000
The Reeds Skippers handbook is packed with all the useful information required by all Skippers from day skipper up to yachtmaster. If you are studying for the RYA shore based courses or practical courses this is a reference book that should be kept close at hand. All subjects are coverd from IRCPS, Chartwork, Tides to Weather in an easy to understand manner. 10 out of 10 for Malcolm Pearson.
Brian Sadler Yachtmaster Shore Based Instructor

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative with a Excellent navigation section., 8 Nov 2000
By A Customer
As a young sailor this book has be awfully helpful, I recently gained my day skipper (RYA) and this was an excellent accompaniment to the course, it is well written with very clear and well explain diagrams which are sometimes lacking from the other books I have seen. It is set out in a logical order, but you can still flick to the section you need and understand it with out having to read previous chapters. This means that it is not only a brillant guide for begins, it is also an excellent refresher for more advances skippers who may be a bit rusty after the winter break. This is a top rate book that I would recommend to anyone going aboard, from novice to expert well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little ref. book, 18 July 2009
M. J. Clare-Panton (UK) - See all my reviews
Reeds Skipper's Handbook:

This is a great little reference book for any sailor. It condenses what you need to know into a handy reference page. It WILL NOT teach you from first principles (you need to learn this stuff properly first#, it WILL jog your memory for the nuance of something previously learned though. #e.g. if your rusty after the winter)

Its small size means it really is a handbook, it will fit in a jeans pocket comfortably. I keep mine with my chart folios/plotter.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one - buy this one!, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Reeds Skipper's Handbook (Paperback)
Reeds Skippers Handbook has recently been voted Club Yachting's sail book of the year and its not difficult to see why.
Its a great little book and edition 4 helped me pass my yachtmaster offshore! The latest edition has only improved on a great pocket sized book. If you have not bought it do so today.
If you already have this then buy the new Reeds VHF handbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little reference book, 24 Jun 2009
K. Williams (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I had previously borrowed this book from the library so I knew it was good. This 5th edition is a nice compact volume and, if like me you are still studying for RYA qualifications, you will find it very useful for quick reference whilst studying or out sailing.

Contents include Buoys, Marks and Light characteristics and Rules of the Road including lights and daymarks on vessels. The pages of each section are colour coded so it is easy to find the section you require quickly and repeatedly.

A good investment at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pocket reference book available, 6 July 2009
D. Maxfield "Fin Deep Marine" (Dunbar, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have been using this book personally for several years and as an instructor recommend it to all my students. It covers the whole of the RYA Yachtmaster syllabus in good detail with clear explanations and excellent graphics. Definitely a must have for anyone doing their Yachtmaster theory or practical.

I've lost count of the number of copies that have been 'borrowed' from me...luckily it's not outrageously priced and updated on a fairly regular basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 28 Sep 2009
Martin Newby - See all my reviews
THis book really does peform in every way. Ultra compact but contains everything you need to know for everyday sailing. No need to buy anything else.Fits in your inside pocket so it can always be with you. As essential as your mobile phone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Print errors, 8 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars My crib-sheet, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Reeds Skipper's Handbook (Paperback)
Having been a dinghy sailor all my life, I am now enthusiastically in the throws of cruising courses. I've finished the Day Skipper courses and have just started Coastal Skipper. The Reeds Skipper's Handbook contains all the little reminders I had always meant to write down in our place, only this is clearer, brighter and more colourful than I would have been able to do. I've dropped a star only because there's slightly too much for me to comfortably keep it in my pocket all the time.

Reeds Skipper's Handbook
Reeds Skipper's Handbook by Malcolm Pearson (Paperback - 16 Jun 2010)