4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compendium

1.0 out of 5 stars *not* what I expected
Published on 10 Mar. 2013 by disgruntled

1.0 out of 5 stars *not* what I expected, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Hand Stitch, Perspectives (Hardcover)
This is a great quality book, however it is not what I expected at all. From the description and the beautiful front cover I thought it would be more of a manual looking at historical and global stitching techniques. What it is rather, is a collection of essays with just a few photos, which is probably very useful if you're writing a dissertation. However, I cannot relate most of the content to what I do or aspire to do, as it is about 'Art' and is very self-indulgent. The few images of historical and global stitched items are stunning, but they are few in number, considering the 200+ pages. Best bit is the stitch glossary (starts p208), but whilst it's fascinating to look at, there are no pointers or instructions. In short, I would say this book is for the thinker, not the do-er.

I am a do-er, and this, with heavy heart, is the first book I am ever returning to Amazon :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compendium, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Hand Stitch, Perspectives (Hardcover)
Lots and lots of inspiration here. However, I would have liked to have seen more emphasis on contemporary hand embroidery as this is quite heavy on historic/ cultural references. These are great of course, and the images used are lovely (and mostly taken by a course mate of mine!) There is a particularly good bit at the back where they use images from the MMU Embroidery archive to illustrate the different stitches in innovative ways. I may have a particular soft spot for this book as I studied on this course. However, I still highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautiful book with great descriptions and illustrations of all the ..., 16 Nov. 2014
Misscacou (Stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hand Stitch, Perspectives (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book with great descriptions and illustrations of all the works.
There is a whole chapter dedicated to the work the Staircase House Stitchers from Stockport ( of which I was one) did and I bought this book as a record to pass on to my family. But even if you don't know anybody involved in any of the works, it is a beautiful book to dip in and look at.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Hand Stitch, Perspectives (Hardcover)
A fabulous book if you are at all interested in the history & aesthetics of embroidery & stitch. Insightful essays by many contributors with a wealth of knowledge & experience

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any textile lover!, 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Hand Stitch, Perspectives (Hardcover)
Great content, brilliant insight and reference for any textiles student, artist or enthusiast! I found the chapters on Indian hand stitch most interesting and beneficial.

Hand Stitch, Perspectives
Hand Stitch, Perspectives by Jane McKeating (Hardcover - 11 Oct. 2012)