5.0 out of 5 stars Canal due Midi boating guide
Published on 28 Oct 2011 by buy-me-n0w

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I have purchases and used many of the canal guides for the UK canals and rivers.
Published on 9 Feb 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 Feb 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
In September 2008 I had a short 4-day cruise on Canal du Midi and did not buy a guidebook but used the information supplied by the boat hire company. I found this information was missing a lot of detail that would be helpful. We enjoyed the trip and decided to go on a trip on another part of the canal for 2 weeks and I bought this book hoping to gain additional information. I first read the opening chapters, the area I last cruised in than then the area we intended to cruise in. I found that it did not add anything to my knowledge of the area I travelled in and found that many points missing.
Information I would like to have got. Where are water points, where are the provision shops, what facilities are available at the moorings and some guide to cost.
A little information on how the locks operate, and mooring in the locks especially the deep locks would have helped.
I have found more general information on the canal using the Internet.
Unfortunate I have not found a better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canal due Midi boating guide, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
We turned down the chance to buy an expensive guide to the canals on our recent holiday but really they are a must for planning - whether you want a lock free holiday or if there are particular places you want to stop. This guide is excellent and will show you all the information you need to plan your own route and stops along the way. If you are a novice you will really find this helpful. Although they say you don't need any experience to take a cruiser down the canals, really it is quite demanding and requires some skill in boating and "parking" in awkward places. If you can't reverse a car then you'll definitely have trouble reversing a boat! This is a well put together book and at a much cheaper price than from your holiday company.

3.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and well written but limited, 17 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
The book's strengh is in the detailed navigational information that warns you, for example, where a tight bend is coming up that will require you to listen carefully for the horn of any commercial vessels before proceeding. It is logically laid out and easy to follow, with good schematic maps. These maps have no scale, which makes planning trips more difficult but bridges and locks are clearly shown. If you have little inland waterways experience you will need information on european regulations (there is an RYA guide available) and advice on the basics of how to tie-up, negotiate locks etc'. This could have be included very easily with just a few extra pages on each topic but as this information is missing you have to buy two extra books unless you already have the experience. This is a prety slim volume and is worth the money at Amazon's reduced price but is nowhere near extensive enough to justify the full cover price. One point of detail: the author recommends using the french tourist offices if you want a combined boating and land-based holiday. Definitely do not do this. They have a lot of poor quality property, often without much information before you can book. Use the online holiday letting websites and choose places that have lots of internal and external photos showing you exactly what you're getting. Also I couldn't see any reference to the cheapest boat hire company which is 'Ad Navis', based at Agde. One final piece of advice - take your bikes with you or hire them from the boat company, an absolute must to get you to the resturants, wine 'caves' etc'!
Happy boating!

2.0 out of 5 stars A mundane and not well structured guide which appears to ..., 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
A mundane and not well structured guide which appears to be a translation. I hope it was more inspiriing in the original language, It had its uses but we usually referred first to a guide written for cyclists throughout our trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful guide, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
Clearly written and useful once I had worked out which direction up the canal the book was working - the opposite way to me unfortunately but once I realised I had to work backwards through the book the descriptions of the various parts of the canal and its surroundings was a great help.Definitely to be recommended for complete beginners and the more experienced sailors alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book., 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
I expected a pocket size book!
Nevertheless, it is proving an interesting, preparatory read.
An adventure planned, hopefully!
The only guide "en anglais" I could find via Amazon UK.

2.0 out of 5 stars It'snot what it purports to be - a Cruiser's Guide, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
The basic premise of the book is wrong, in that it covers far too wide an area to provide any detailed or relevant information. The only pieces of interest to me on my canal cruise were covered by a two page spread, The maps were not very useful and again lacked detail. Had I known that the canal cruiser hirer would provide detailed maps and information on board, I wouldn't have wasted spending money on this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read for anyone planning to take a trip, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
I bought this for my husband's birthday as it is his ambition to take our boat down the Canal du Midi. As relative 'beginners', this gave a lot of useful information with maps and pictures of key aspects. It wouldn't give enough detail to actually plan the trip but it gave us a good overall picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 18 Mar 2013
I. C. Hayward (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
Book was informative and will be very helpful in planning our canal trip in the Camargue later in the year.

1.0 out of 5 stars not pleased, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide (Paperback)
It has been 1 month since I orderd this book. Up till now no book seen.
Very dissapointing. After many E-mail's no action has been taken.

The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide
The Canal Du Midi: A Cruiser's Guide by Bernd W Kiessler (Paperback - 27 Sep 2009)
9.09