4.0 out of 5 stars A fine effort, 13 Oct 2004
Very welcome and hugely expanded follow-up to the original 1986 guide, with a good balance of breadth of coverage and site detail. The authors must have faced some very difficult decisions in terms of what to leave out, and I'm sure everyone will be able to think of another site that they feel warrants a mention, but that's the inevitable compromise of a single volume covering the whole of Britain. The benefit of this guide over the more detailed regional volumes is that if you happen to be making a trip to an unfamiliar area you can easily locate any birding spots en route that might be worth a visit - without having to splash out for a regional guide that you might only use a handful of times.
Good, clear maps, and although some people have argued that the few colour pages on particular bird species just take up valuable real-estate in the book I personally think they are a nice touch.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good personal guide, 27 Feb 2008
S. L. Quinn "Occasional Reviewer!" (Gateshead, Co. Durham) - See all my reviews
As a compromise it works very well. Yes there are various forums where people can ask for advice and birding spots in a certain vicinity, but nothing beats the feel of a "real book" to thumb and browse.

Yes you can collect all the various regional guides but will you use them so often? it can be argued regular birders/twitchers will know the areas anyway. Casual birders will enjoy this. I visited Norfolk, Suffolk, Mull and Speyside in a two week period. This book helped a lot - and continues to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 18 May 2009
Mr. M. D. Brocket (Sheffield,England.) - See all my reviews
Bought it to go on holiday with, popped it in glove box and it proved itself to be a great buy. Took us to places we wouldn't have know were there. I would say that the discriptions of the places outlined are very fair and details, as far I was able to judge, correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and well researched- excellent guide., 24 May 2011
Bootess (Lancaster UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where to Watch Birds in Britain (Paperback)
I bought this for our trip to the Scarborough area, Flamborough Head and Bempton Cliffs, in April. The directions to the venues were easy to follow, down to the best places in which to park in large parking areas.It also told us where to locate the key for a hide, which we wouldn't have known about. We also found little known spots which revealed lots of surprising species which we hadn't anticipated seeing. We are looking forward to using it on our next trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars worthwhile addition to collection, 19 Sep 2010
This review is from: Where to Watch Birds in Britain (Paperback)
The beauty of this book is that it gives all the major birdwatching sites in the UK in an edition which can be taken on fieldtrips . it has a well structured format and gives quality advice and observations on each site. there is also a section on the top 100 birds in Britain and when and where to see them. This section should generate debate as some of my favourites weren't there.
my main criticism is that all of the information on Scottish sites seems to have been taken from all the already available books which deal with bird sites and I would have liked the book to have been a little more independant and perhaps include sites whch certainly merit inclusion in a book like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, but could be better., 31 July 2010
G. S. Palmer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where to Watch Birds in Britain (Paperback)
This is indeed a very good book and one that I would recommend whole-heartedly, however, a few tweaks here and there would have resulted in something closer to Mr. Packhams claim that "There could be no better guide than this book".
The index of sites is there, and so it should be, but the species index is not! There is details of the authors opinion of the top 100 birds to be seen in Britain, which I really like, but not at the expense of the omission.
Personally I think there should be a list of species for each site in the same format as the excellent 'Where To Watch Birds Northern and Eastern Spain'. This gives a CALENDAR listing of 'All year', 'Breeding season', 'Winter' and 'Passage periods'; a precise and clear layout.
The Status list provided in the aforementioned WTWB N&E Spain is an excellent addition, one I would like to see in all the 'Where To Watch Birds' books. It provides a brief outline of the status of all the species which have been recorded in the region, I found this very helpful and interesting, but its not included in this book.
The phenomenal amount of detailed information in this book makes it a must have for anyone with any interest in birds, I intend to put mine to good use.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book !, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Where to Watch Birds in Britain (Paperback)
I bought this book for my hubby.He is a keen twitcher.He is very impressed and recommends it highly.In all the ordering and the delivery was spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars where to watch birds in britain,BOOK, 21 Dec 2010
P. J. Gibbs - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where to Watch Birds in Britain (Paperback)
this book will be so valuable when we go visitg the many different bird reserves in the summer.a cracking good read.well pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Useful Book., 9 July 2014
T. Alderman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where to Watch Birds in Britain (Paperback)
Arrived a day earlier than expected. Well packaged.
Recommended for anyone's collection. Easily understood with maps of locations where to watch any available birds.
Handy to keep in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars best there is, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Where to Watch Birds in Britain (Paperback)
for all levels of bird watchers, very good detailed information what to see where to park etc would be good on line

Where to Watch Birds in Britain
Where to Watch Birds in Britain by Nigel Redman (Paperback - 30 Jun 2010)
15.99