4.0 out of 5 stars Not a 'Teach Yourself', 9 Mar 2009
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Abracadabra Saxophone: Pupil's Book: The Way to Learn Through Songs and Tunes (Abracadabra Woodwind) (Paperback)
This is pretty good.

My teacher tells me that the third edition is a considerable improvement over past editions - the songs are more complete.

There are some nice duets (and one or two trios), and most of the tunes will be well-known - making picking them up quite a bit easier.

It is a basic book. It starts with 'B'. I didn't know you could write a whole song just using the note 'B', but there you go. Exercise three has two notes! B and...A!

O.k., I skipped those pages. But it's o.k. - it displays the fingering for each new note, it includes alternate fingerings where appropriate and supplies exercises to practice the alt fingerings.

By exercise 107, you'll be playing 'American Patrol' and exercise 125 gets into Lennon and McCartney territory.

Finally, at the back of the book are Scales and Arpeggios for grades 1, 2 and 3 and then a few piano accompaniments.

No CD with it - but I can't say I missed that because, although the book is designed for alto sax, I am using it for soprano, so I'd have to transpose everything.

One thing I rather liked is that it generally progresses by fingering, rather than by key. So, that means you learn a new note and immediately get stuck into something in three or four sharps, meaning that you don't get a chance to get 'hung up' about multi-sharp or flat key signatures.

It's a good start. You probably could use it to teach yourself, but it's more fun with a teacher playing the second parts and, of course, if you teach yourself, you can unwittingly fall into bad habits that get quite difficult to break later on. Also, in places it encourages you to improvise and, again, that makes more sense if someone is taking the main theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saxophone tutor, 6 July 2014
S. Arrow - See all my reviews
Excellent series of tutors. This one gives me all I need to support my child with his saxophone lessons, indeed, if I had the time I could teach myself to play from this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Oct 2013
This Was for my son for his saxophone lessons he says it was great and me i never
realy get a look in the book . :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 Aug 2013
Of the three books I bought as an introduction to the Saxophone, this is by far the best. It is well presented, clear and enables progression. I heartily recommend this book to all would be saxophonists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 23 Aug 2013
I received the book exactly on time ad had a great number of tunes that could supplement my learning. Very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars My view O The Abracadabra Saxaphone book, 12 Aug 2013
good book, usefull, learned a lot,recomend to any players just starting, learned a lot.
Good book for first-time player.
Mr B Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, 3 Jan 2013
Shirleyt31 (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my daughter, who was starting saxophone lessons at school. It was requested by her sax teacher, so must be good for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter is still at the foghorn stage but this should help!, 10 Dec 2012
My daughter's just had her fourth saxophone lesson and can already play several songs from this book which was recommended by her teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOOK FOR BEGINNERS REALLY QUICK DELIVERY THANKS, 17 Jun 2009
Mr. G. E. Burgess (England) - See all my reviews