5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, easy book, entertaining with CD.
Over 100 short pieces, beginner to around Grade 4, a mixture of popular classics, jazz and well known tunes. CD with stereo accompaniment, sax and piano on separate tracks so that the sax can be turned down or completely off. There are also a dozen or so duets and trios without piano accompaniment. Very good value.
Published on 26 Jun 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really for those with no other sax knowledge
Published on 1 Aug 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, easy book, entertaining with CD., 26 Jun 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really for those with no other sax knowledge, 1 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This book is actually more of a play-along songbook than a guide for the absolute beginner with no saxophone experience, as no advice on embouchure, correct breathing, tonguing, care of the instrument etc is given. The only guidance being diagrams indicating which keys to press each time a new note is introduced - maybe the book is intended to be used in conjunction with a teacher. A lot of the songs are a little staid and although there are over 100 in the book, only 72 are actually on the CD. A better introductory book is ‘Play Alto Sax Today’, which in addition to a more imaginative selection of songs, also contains guidance and tips on actually playing the saxophone both in the book and as a voice over on the accompanying CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Book, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Abracadabra Saxophone: The Way to Learn Through Songs and Tunes: Pupil's Book + 2 CDs (Paperback)
I started playing the Saxophone on Monday 18th November 2013. And it is now Friday 29th November 2013. I have practiced everyday a couple of times each day and have progressed to song 40 in a fortnight.

There are probably people out there that have done this quicker than me but the progress I have made in my own opinion has been incredible - with the help of this book.

I have had two lessons in that time so far and have learnt a range of simple notes, quavers and ties. Im no Gerald Albright or Greg Abate but two weeks in you wouldn't expect to be. But my sight reading ability is improving and I am getting more confident at playing each day.

I am attempting to learn a couple of songs each day and this book introduces new notes with familiar tunes that are easy for the beginner.

I would recommend the one with the CD as this helps you to learn to stick to the time and rhythm of the songs so that you play at the correct rate, learning the time signatures and different skills. Plus if you play with the CD and start from some of the early tunes and go through the book it covers old ground and reinforces learning.

I am looking at different beginner books to have to aid in my sight reading, but for now this book has been amazing. Definitely recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars unhelpful, 26 Nov 2003
By A Customer
As a complete beginner I needed some passages to inspire and give me confidence to carry on and take the instrument to the next stage. Also, basic instruction's included would have been helpful !
All you get is 'March Slav' and 'Fais Do-Do'. Maybe I have led a sheltered life but come on, when were these little gems last heard in public. Although, saying that, I have not attended a funeral in ages.
The backing tracks provided sound like they were recorded in the fifties.
The book is relatively cheap, but the way to look at it is that its a tenner off something decent. I wish someone would abracadabra my money back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abracadabra Saxaphone The way to learn, 15 Nov 2010
I found the book exactly what you need to start playing its easy to follow and with step by step guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 30 July 2010
I got this for my son on the recommendation of his tutor and he is really enjoying it. The lessons are offering him more of a challenge than they used to but are also far more enjoyable. He really feels like he is learning now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tuition book, 22 Nov 2013
This is really the saxophone equivalent of the Hal Leonard Guitar book which I reviewed a short time ago. My son decided to take up the instrument when he got to secondary school and this was the book recommended by his tutor.

Though perhaps not as clear as the guitar book in terms of layout, it's still a fine and effective teaching resource as a support tool for practice and development between individual or group lessons, though perhaps less suitable as a 'teach yourself' manual.

My son has been at it now for nine weeks or so and he finds the structure of the book very simple to use and easy to understand and the instructions clear to follow. Like the guitar book, it allows the student to play actual tunes from the very start, meaning the child (and you!) can hear progress from the start.

The price makes it good value for money - we didn't get the version with the CD and our boy's teacher thought that was the better way of approaching the early weeks. But I'd certainly recommend it for anyone who would like an additional source of tution support.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and fun., 12 Nov 2013
Good value. Great to play (or try and play!) tunes that I know. They get progressively more difficult. CD's help too.

4.0 out of 5 stars No peace and quiet, 25 Nov 2012
Ms. Angela M. Raynor "Angela" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Wasn't that excited when my daughter decided to take up the saxophone but I do like the tunes this has in it they are 'happy' songs

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book I started out with, 19 Nov 2003
By A Customer
Johnathan Rutland was my Saxophone teacher when I started out 6 or 7 years ago. He taught me when I was about 9 or 10 years old and I was using this book at the time. The cover has changed since then but I always found going through these books fun. This book helped me get where I am now and although I have finished the book and left to a different secondary school I have always remembered it.
It helped me with the development of breathing, learning notations, different dynamics, rhythms and styles of music and developed altogether my ability to play the saxophone well. I learnt quickly with the help of this book.
The book is very straightforward and teaches you everything you need to know if you've just started. I recommend it to everyone who needs to start the saxophone and if anyone lives in Kent then look out for this guy cause he's an awesome teacher.

ARRAY(0xbab55c48)