5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book
Published on 2 Mar 2006 by Amazon Customer

I think when I bought this book I was hoping for some real insights into dialogue and good techniques to use when writing. However after finishing I am not left with this feeling...But I don't think it's necessarily the author's fault.

Published on 1 Mar 2009 by Flying Chumpino

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably as good as can be expected for such a specialised topic, 1 Mar 2009
This review is from: Writing Dialogue for Scripts: Effective Dialogue for Film, TV, Radio and Stage (Writing Handbooks) (Paperback)

To be fair I think writing advice on such a specialised topic is difficult and perhaps this is the most insight one can learn.
The author often slips into talking about what makes a good character/plot, and not specifically what makes good dialogue. But I can't blame him given that dialogue is so inherently linked to these other elements. I feel the overall message is: get the basics of the book right and to an extent the dialogue will come.

On top of that there are a few tips such as remembering to write how people speak i.e accents, verbal mannerisms etc. but that seemed fairly evident to me.

So in conclusion, it's probably the subject rather than the writing that makes this book unrewarding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 2 Mar 2006
This is a great book. It gives great advice on how to write good dialogue dealing with many different styles of dialogue and how it changes between the different mediums of theatre and screen. The writing style is very easy to understand with no jargon being used without being first explained. I started around the same time that I bought this book and can see a clear difference in the quality of dialogue at the beginning and where I am now which shows just how useful this book is. I would reccommend this to anyone wishing to improve their skills at writing good dialogue for scripts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 28 Nov 2011
As an aspiring writer (sit-coms) I can't recommend this book highly enough. Full of advice that when you read it might lead you to think "well that's obvious isn't it?" then you realise - or I did - that obvious it might be, but you hadn't thought of it actually. If like me, you kind of know you have the talent but maybe not the confidence to believe in yourself, this is a must-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets to the heart of dialogue, 1 July 2008
Stephen Ince "Steve Ince" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This is not a book about screenwriting but a book about dialogue and one which does the job excellently. I heartily recommend this to anyone interested in understanding the way speech works and how to transfer that speech into script dialogue that will come across as dynamic.

1.0 out of 5 stars gained nothing, 7 Mar 2014
thought i might gleam something from this but it proved a waste of money. Unless yopu have never spoken to anyone in your life, I doubt this will be of help.

5.0 out of 5 stars if studying Creative Writing with OU - a helpful book, 8 Sep 2014
useful for OU Creative Writing

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could have been., 24 Aug 2009
There are far better books out there that are more rounded and more helpful. The problem with this book is that it is too specialised. It takes one aspect of a script and tries to explain it in far too great detail than dialogue should be attributed. When considering writing a screenplay or a script of any sort, most people automatically assume that dialogue is the main feature. Whilst dialogue may make up the majority of a script, it does not form a script. You would be better of buying a book which details the main points of a script and explains the key parts which form a script.