Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 March 2002
I think this book is great! It tells you what it was like for children in the war and with me being 13 years old i can relate to it. I love the description of the little things like the weather or the christmas presents. I have read The Voyage on the Great Titanic, which is also a book in this series, but i still think this is the best. I recommened it to all children!
on 14 May 2002
The Blitz is a captivating story about World War II. Edie's diary tells of how her family cope with life during the Blitz and the terrible explosions. This book is very educational and helps me understand what life was like in London during this period. I think it would be very helpful for other children who are studying the war period at school as well as being very enjoyable.
on 5 February 2005
An exellent book which makes you realise what the 2nd world war was like really. It has made me realise what people had to go through. I actually read it for a welsh project, and iv'e really got into it now. It's so good i've had to re-new it at the library at least twice so that i don't get a fine! I recommend this book for readers age 10 up.
on 6 July 2006
This book was v. good, mainly because it allowed you to get inside Edie's head and see what it was like for people in the Blitz. I had always been interested in WW2 fiction, but as I didn't like the My Story series, I didn't believe that I would like this book. However, the book proved me wrong. It was well written and DEFINETELY over too quickly. Read it.
on 27 July 2001
Edie Benson is a child who is careful,caring and understanding to her family around her. She is sent away after staying through most of World War 2 and suffers loss of a brother whom she dearly loves. She sticks up for her younger brother when he is bullied in a school in Wales where they are evacuated to to live with a couple who treat them so badly it is distressing. She is a very caring and helpful to her mother, sister and brother.She is a girl who can be trusted with great problems like looking after her young brother Tom when they are evacuated.This is truly a great book.
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2007
An excellent little account of the build-up of the war from July 1940 until January 1941. This was the time when bombs started dropping on London and the war became real for many millions of civilians.

This account is told from the point of view of Edie (Edith) Benson, who turned 12 as she wrote her diary. She sees the demolition of large parts of London by German bombs, the evacuation of many of her friends and the stress that the war causes her family. They build an air raid shelter in their garden and spend long periods of time sheltering from the bombs, food is rationed and school stops.

Suitable for quite young children, this book is an accessible way to learn about some of the human consequences of war.
on 16 February 2010
Although this book is aimed at teenage readers it's also a very worthwhile & interesting read for adults. I've read a few really good adults books about the Blitz but learnt far more from reading this book because of the way everything is described in clear detail.
Written in the form of a teenage girl's diary you really get a feel for how it would have been to live through them terrifying times in London and what the Londoners had to endure on a daily basis. Edie is a really likable character full of Cockney spirit and I really enjoyed reading about her life through the time of the Blitz.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 May 2012
My eight year old daughter is learning about WWII at school and has come home with lots of questions, some of which have been a great source of distress to her, like what was it like to wake up to a an air-raid siren and was it scary when bombs were dropping.

I could only share what I had learned and regale her with tales my parents (who were wartime shildren told me) but I couldn't give her the emotional responses she wanted, only facts.

This book, however, put the history of the Blitz into a child friendly format, presented from a childs point of view. Reading Edie Benson's story totally captivated my daughter and she read the whole book, a little over 150 pages, in just one day.

She's learned things that will help her with her schooling and she's found the answers to questions that we simply couldn't provide her with. I would recommend this book for young but mature readers.
on 20 April 2001
Twelve-year-old Edith, who hates her name and prefers to be called Edie, lives in London in 1940. The war is changing everyone's lives, and not for the better. Edie and her family huddle in terror in their air-raid shelter while bombs rain down from the sky. Edie and her younger brother are evacuated to Wales, but return home in despair after being treated as servants, not heeding the danger they will have to face. This book was written in the form of a diary kept by Edie in 1940 and 1941 and captured by terror of World War II and the Blitz as seen through the eyes of a young girl.
on 14 January 2016
This story was probably one my favorites from the "My Story" historical series. It is a very personal, firsthand account told from Edith's point of view of World War II in England, from July 1940 to January 1941. This time is known for when bombs were being dropped on London and millions of civilians paid the price for it.

The reason this story stuck with me is because it draws on a lot of historical facts, but molds it into a personalized story of a family living at that time, making it all very real. Edith and her family witness the demolition of their city, of neighboring houses, her friends having to evacuate and the stress this all causes her own family as they huddle in terror in their air-raid shelters. We go into different aspects of the family's lives, her sister's heartbreak, her older brother's demise, and her own evacuation to Wales with her younger brother. When Edith realizes that their lives haven't gotten any better with the evacuation, and that they are in fact being mistreated, she gathers all her courage to make the journey back to her family. A risk that could have gone wrong in many ways. I think that part of the story got to me the most, her bravery, her loyalty to her family, her protectiveness of her brother, the reunion, all of it was incredibly heartfelt.

A great story of how an average person was affected by war, and how it tore many families apart. A historical lesson learnt for sure, however this was also a human story with many humane lessons to be taken from it.